Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2014-08-17, 11:19am
Dancing in the Flame

Default Help with pictures

Can anyone give me some guidance on on how best to photograph my beads. I have a Sony digital camera with multiple settings and lenses. Came with a wonderful 250 page book which you almost need the Hubble telescope to read because the print was made for trolls.

I am just nota sure of lighting and background and bEst sizing of pictures for web display.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lou

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-08-17, 9:27pm
Critter Mom

Hi Lou ... I always used my micro lens along with editing and resizing in Photoshop. I have an EZ-Cube setup for glass photography and added an acrylic mirror with a satin finish clear acrylic panel over the mirror to give the photos that levitating look...worked great. It takes a little while to get used to editing...the edits I used most often were the "clone stamp" to get rid of all those pesky lint specks and fuzzes (nothing worse than a dirty looking bead), the "sharpening" (usually by 25%) tool and I always resize to make loading quicker (usually 1500 pixels on the longest edge).

Good luck Lou.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Puddy Tat Glass; 2014-08-17 at 9:30pm.
Old 2014-08-18, 6:18am
Dancing in the Flame

Thanks for the hints although have to admit I don't know what EZ cube is. Perhaps it's time to take a photography course.

Old 2014-08-18, 6:37am
Gentleman of Leisure

Look online for instruction sheet/manual in PDF format (digital) for your camera (maybe-maybe not).... I agree that without magnifying glass or telescope its next to impossible to read the booklet with camera...

Also lots of good "general" digital photograph sites on internet that will help you with exposure and lighting and "modeling" you beads.... Looks for sites that have tips and tutorials......The camera is only half the exercise, processing the graphic is also very important step along with lighting and background....

Two or three things you really need to understand, f-stop (depth of field) and shutter speed....

Also experiment a lot.... Digital "film" is cheap.... Not like old days when you had to "process" and print things...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2014-08-18 at 6:41am.
Old 2014-08-18, 11:25am
Pixel Dude

Hi Lou,

Check out these previous posts on LE for help with lighting, etc.:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=256616
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=256690
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=253214
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=249840

Doug

Old 2014-08-18, 2:49pm
Dancing in the Flame

Default Lighting

Thanks for the links - the light boxes are great - I am definitely going to to order some.

Old 2014-08-23, 3:26am
Unmedicated since '62

I have a light box with 2 daylight bulbs. I place the beads on a sheet of transparent smokey perspex and photograph with my camera mounted on a desktop tripod, no flash. Then i simply crop, straighten and clone out any dust.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...46&postcount=1

Oh and i dont use a macro lens, i just photograph at high resolution and crop in

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2014-08-23 at 3:29am.
Old 2014-08-23, 5:34am
Dancing in the Flame

Thanks Deb - I took Doug's suggestion and purchased lights/lightbox -would have loved to order his!! So I am practicing with photos and I signed up for a photography course, something I have always wanted to do since I bought my camera. Now I'm torn between taking pictures or torching.... oh ya, then there's the real job and kids and a hubby and a house to clean.... there just aren't enough hours in the day..... but so far torching is still winning?

"What do you mean? you want me to make supper??"