Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-01-14, 7:09am

Default Transparent red

Hi guys! I'm planning on playing around with some of my boro stash next week and I'd like to know what some of you recommend for a great transparent red (valentine's day stuff)

Thanks and have a great day

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-01-14, 7:23am
ManBearPig

Elivs is my favorite red. Easy to work, never livers out.

Old 2014-01-14, 7:47am
Flamewoman

Yes another vote for Elvis Red. Chad ~ any oxygen yet?

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-01-14, 9:01am

Chinese red ~ least expensive and good. Elvis for sure!

Old 2014-01-14, 9:11am
Pyromaniac

Another vote for TAG Red Elvis. Thick it's a deep, dark red, thinner it's blood red. It can be layered over clear, or mixed with clear for different densities. Very easy to work with self-striking red and as noted above I've never had it liver up on me like some of the other reds.

I've also had good experiences with NS Pomegranate. Similar results, though I've used it a lot less.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2014-01-14, 9:39am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Woman View Post
Chinese red ~ least expensive and good. Elvis for sure!
I really like the Chinese Red, even more than Elvis (I like Elvis, too). Super easy to strike!

Old 2014-01-14, 10:30am

red elvis, or dark red elvis watered down with clear.

barring elvis, NS Pomegranite.
Old 2014-01-14, 10:51am

elvis definitely

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2014-01-14, 12:09pm
Bernhard Riegler

Pomegranate

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2014-01-14, 1:22pm

My favorite is GA 1939-Dragon's Blood. It's beautiful on it's own, but also really pretty when encased over sno-white and pulled out in stringers. I also like the Ruby Strikers, but sometimes they seem to lose color if worked too much -- Dragon's Blood never loses its color no matter how hard I torch it, and it colors-up once it starts cooling out of the flame. Kiln striking can just increase the intensity of the color, which IMO it doesn't really need.
Old 2014-01-15, 7:41am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Yes another vote for Elvis Red. Chad ~ any oxygen yet?
No. Looks like 6-8 months away right now. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll have a torch running again.

Old 2014-01-15, 7:43am

cosmo...idk if you plan on getting oxycons but Available Oxygen (has an add in the vendor section now) has scratch and dent ex15's for really cheap. might be worth a ganders.
Old 2014-01-16, 4:13am
Now part of the Dark Side

TAG Red Elvis is easy to work with, but I stopped using it becuse of the tiny air bubbles in it, I've found that a lot of TAG glas has the same bubbles must be an attifact of their process. NS Pomegranete is very nice, easy to strike almost the same consistancy as clear.
Old 2014-01-16, 5:26am

that's one of the nice things about mixing down the dk red elvis...most of those bubbles get worked out.
Old 2014-01-16, 5:36am

Asian ruby is a nice cheap color to mess around with but it can liver on ya if struck to long. Elvis is ok but I think its a little light for me, dragons blood I think is the nicest all around ruby
Old 2014-01-16, 6:13am

i've been wanting to try that asian striking red....probably on my next color order. $8 a lb is hard to argue with.
Old 2014-01-16, 10:54am

Elvis. It is the only one to use if you are doing implosions in my opinion. Pomegranate is ok too. That being said, I have managed to liver Elvis, but it was on the inside of a 3 inch sphere that took me over 6 hours of torch time. However, that has only occurred once.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2014-01-16, 12:25pm

Asian ruby
Attached Images

Old 2014-01-16, 2:52pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
cosmo...idk if you plan on getting oxycons but Available Oxygen (has an add in the vendor section now) has scratch and dent ex15's for really cheap. might be worth a ganders.
I have 4 concentrators now. They don't put out enough pressure to run my CC. Going to try out a friend's Lynx soon. May be getting one of those to run on my concentrators just to get by until I can figure something else out.

Old 2014-01-16, 5:57pm
Borovangelist

Elvis, though I use NS Garnet almost interchangebly

I'm still a little skeptical, but since you already have 4 concentrators, have you looked into this setup from High Volume Oxygen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq_u7qjOwTM

The demo showed them using a bank of 6, which is awfully spendy on top of the HVO units. But like I said, since you already have 4...

|
|
Old 2014-01-17, 4:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I have 4 concentrators now. They don't put out enough pressure to run my CC. Going to try out a friend's Lynx soon. May be getting one of those to run on my concentrators just to get by until I can figure something else out.
not enough volume, or not enough pressure? which oxycons do you run if you don't mind my asking.
Old 2014-01-17, 2:39pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
not enough volume, or not enough pressure? which oxycons do you run if you don't mind my asking.
Not enough of either. They are all 5LPM. Two are Airsep. Not sure what the other two are. That is if they even work. They have been in my garage for the better part of 4 years now...

Old 2014-01-17, 4:37pm

why not just get a homefill? you can usually find them complete for around $800...all you'll need is the whip. w/o an oxycon (likely you can use one of the ones you have now) they're $500ish, =/-. check with Shawnette...she wheels & deals with them often.