Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-13, 11:01am

My DH realized how much glass I have last night! I had to reorganize it and it became very obvious how much is there!
Old 2010-05-13, 11:40am

LOL,Bethany!I had Natasha send one of my orders by UPS because I was afraid it was going to show up on a Saturday when my hubby was home.My last order DID come on Saturday and of course it didn't look like a lot because Natasha is such a good packer but Bob went to pick up 2 of the 3 boxes and whoa!staggered into my room with them...haha.I told him they were my Mothers day gifts from Rooney(our new cat).
"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-13, 12:02pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
I have a question.I have the rod warmer and yes...it's great for the shocky colors but when I make a bead and set the rod down to look at and load the bead into the kiln...the end of the rod shocks off before I can use it again.I can't put it back in the warmer as soon as I make the bead cause it sticks to any other rods in there...has anyone had a similar situation and have you resolved it somehow?
You need a stainless plate in there to let them rest on, or the wire rack that Devardi sells, OR set a nut can upside down that they can lay across without touching - see the picture below.

I got the medium sized can of nuts from Walmart and it's the right height to lay rods across.

That way you put the rod right back into the warmer as soon as the glow fades. Thats what I do and I never have a problem.

Old 2010-05-13, 12:29pm

Thanks,Kristina..I had forgotten you had posted that before.I have the plates so I am ok there but yes..I see where I need that extra propping up so it doesn't touch the other rods.I have too many in there anyway.I have high hopes and end up using only 2 or 3 rods at a sitting.Thanks again..I knew I'd get a good answer I haven't used the top plate for frit yet..it really doesn't melt it? I accidentally bumped the side reaching for something and burned my finger knuckle pretty good..lol.One of the many Darwin Award winning burns I've gotten.I've found that grabbing the torch flame while bending down to pick up a burning piece of glass does not help you keep your balance
"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-13, 12:59pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
I haven't used the top plate for frit yet..it really doesn't melt it? I accidentally bumped the side reaching for something and burned my finger knuckle pretty good..lol.One of the many Darwin Award winning burns I've gotten.I've found that grabbing the torch flame while bending down to pick up a burning piece of glass does not help you keep your balance
You poor Sweetie! DON'T touch the Rod Warmer OR the flame! The Rod Warmer gets over 800 degrees, so you should make a mental note that it's hot!

Use ice - thats what I do when I have a senior moment!
Old 2010-05-13, 1:00pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I FROG-GOT to yell that my GLASS came today! Hurraaay!
Old 2010-05-13, 1:11pm
The Grand Foobah

Great job with the copper black. I didn't buy any for some reason!

I'm lucky that hubby doesn't have a need to go into the studio. Between the Moretti, lauscha, double helix, frits, enamels and now devardi, he would have a heart attack!

Yay Kristina, can't wait to see what you creat next!

Foofaraw is a style. An attitude. A fresh glimmer of fun. Foofaraw is unique.
Old 2010-05-13, 2:17pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofaraw View Post
Great job with the copper black. I didn't buy any for some reason!

I'm lucky that hubby doesn't have a need to go into the studio. Between the Moretti, lauscha, double helix, frits, enamels and now devardi, he would have a heart attack!

Yay Kristina, can't wait to see what you creat next!

Thank you Jenn! I can't wait to see the fun you produce with that gallery of glass!

I know what you mean about your DH rarely visiting the studio! Mine sighs when he comes to visit!
Old 2010-05-13, 2:26pm
Remember to keep smiling

Kristina - YEAH glad you received your glass

Houkje - I love the effects you got with the coppery black. I now have to go and add it to my wish list.

We have beautiful weather here today but with the crazy weather we have been having my allergies are driving me crazy haven't been able to torch but I do go and look a few times a day at my glass....then I come and look at all the pretties all of you are doing. Great Job.....keep them coming.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-13, 2:27pm
Remember to keep smiling

P.S. No hubby here can't get away from my studio long enough to find one....lol

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-13, 2:41pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
P.S. No hubby here can't get away from my studio long enough to find one....lol
Paula! Maybe the guy who delivers the glass? If you won't leave... make them come to you!

Old 2010-05-14, 6:52am
FatCat Mama

Got my glass yesterday (yay!), and already did some sample beads this morning. I tried the coppery black, but I don't think I had any luck (with my Cricket), so I may be dusting off my HotHead this weekend.

The two rods of Misty that I've used so far have been fabulous. Very little shocking I'm happy to report. It seems to opacify somewhat as it's worked, but went into the kiln looking pretty translucent.

Yesterday was a pretty exciting mail day for me - in addition to my Devardi glsss, I received my order of dichro from R4. In the past, all the dichro beads I've worked with Devardi have cracked, so I'm planning a couple of test beads this morning to see what happens. Yes, I've tried the Devardi dichro, and I don't really like it very well. I just don't think it's very pretty compared to the stuff I get from R4. To each his own, right?

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2010-05-14, 7:10am

Isn't it funny how we worked and saved to get a concentrator and nice torch in order to go right back to the hothead for one cool glass?
Old 2010-05-14, 7:22am

Kristina..yup..I know it's real hot,lol,I didn't think my hand was even near it til the ouch...and I was worried about melting the nasty rug I hate having there.I won't do that again.I have been using a glue gun for about 25 years so keeping ice water right there is a must.I'm just getting clumsy in my old age I need an asbestos suit!
"

Old 2010-05-14, 7:24am

Oh..I forgot..can someone invent a glass gun for decorating beads?How cool would that be?I think the guys here should experiment!
"

Old 2010-05-14, 7:26am

Diana I have some kevlar sleeves. They are like long fingerless gloves. Very thin too. They have saved me more than a few times!
Old 2010-05-14, 7:58am

Yesterday I played with the marble glass and silver frit, really cool reactions... I work on a mag, and I think the silver frit works better with higher heat but there is "something" in that marbled glass that gives the silver frit....a kick in the pants!!! Will try to post some beads on Sunday.

Great looking copper beads Houkje, I'm going to be playing with that over the weekend.
Old 2010-05-14, 8:33am

Bethany..great idea!I bet my hubby has them at work..I'll have to ask..thanks
I am taking a big step here trying to post a couple simple beads i made yesterday and they are a tad rough but what the heck
The left is the dark transparent purple(violet) on opaque lt baby blue with clear on the dots only.I see one dot is out of line but i am forced to decorate right handed and I am a lefty so am not always right on.I was checking that purple because I have a bunch of it and I want to use it.It does pop on a lighter color for sure as someone suggested earlier in the thread.
The right is the opaque tan with the moonlight rainbow reduction frit,which I didn't reduce as I was afraid of bringing out some silver in an otherwise "warm"colored bead.I threw in a small piece of twistie made from lt and dk violet opaques.I'm finding little pieces of it all over as thats the thing I was making on the winder when it went crazy and threw pieces off left and right..lol..and I put my hand in the flame by mistake.It might look weird in that bead but I am determined to use every single speck of it for all the blood,sweat and mostly tears it caused me..lol..
Keeping my fingers crossed this pic was resized properly.
Have a great day all!

"

Old 2010-05-14, 9:36am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:

Nice work and good on you that you are jumping into photography as well!
Old 2010-05-14, 12:34pm

Thanks,Kristina...you're too kind.The pic came out lighter than my beads.I am just trying out the different colors to see how they work.Right now thats about all I can do until I have the surgery on my wrist and 2 fingers.Mobility issues hopefully will be gone or better.I can only play at it for now..a little at a time.
I do love that baby blue and honestly it does look like I encased it when I move it around in the right light.Its a super stiff glass..stringers pull nicely.I'm still good at pulling stringers..lol..but can't control em very well right now.The tan is a nice caramelly toned color and a bit softer.
I used to do a lot of photography and need to get back to that as well.My avatar and signature bead pics look better than the new pic but just to work through the posting and doing it properly makes me feel pretty good
I think by next year after all my surgery and physical therapy and moving my studio to its permanent home at our retirement place,I will get my groove back on and actually create nice beads again.This thread has the nicest,most encouraging people on it and I love to see and admire all your work.I hope you all have many many years of of beautiful lampworking ahead of you.
I have a couple blow rods..thats how you make shards..right? Has anyone done any shards with DV glass and which..if you have ,has been the easiest?
Have a fine weekend you all!
"

Old 2010-05-14, 1:52pm
Remember to keep smiling

well I did not receive my rod warmer or my extra glass yet but I did get me 4-8' vinyl fence post rails with the three 2" slots...YEAH....all I have to do now is cut them in 12" increments and I will have a nice glass storage

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-14, 2:02pm

Diana, yesterday I pulled a silver ivory stringer, that exceeded my wingspan. It ended up breaking into a whole bunch of pieces and I was under my table in a hearbeat trying to track it down, I was amazed at all the cool stuff down there, found some murrini I lost...a sandal, and an earring...lol.. you'll find all the twistie eventually and look on the bright side. You can blow the cat hair off of it (or not) and you'll be good to go!!!

Just keep having fun.....all the rest of it comes...and it takes time, and it's hard to do when your hands won't cooperate.!! As far as the pictures, I don't think they ever come out as nice, as the beads look when we are staring at them in front of our faces.
I'm forever feeling badly about the pictures I post....but I do it anyway, and I enjoy seeing EVERYBODY'S pictures ! My camera is old, but I need other things worse, and I do enjoy participating in the fun here, even with my bad pictures. And you are so right, this is a nice thread with lots of supportive, helpful people.!!! you're doing great with your beads!!! Keep playing, posting your pictures and having fun GF
Old 2010-05-14, 2:34pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I have some blow rods or mandrels. I haven't played with them yet but I saw some 'Puffy' beads made with them. I want to try that after I can make consistently round hollow beads. Are you supposed to blow hollows thin and after cooling shatter them to get shards?

I made another Frog Bobble last night with the Extra Dark Violet. It's the first time I have been able to make a round hollow. I think the stretchy and stout glass made the difference too. This color is so beautiful in the light, like a deep eggplant purple, and it so color saturated it looks black. Tonight I want to encase a white bead with it to see what it looks like. If it turns out I will post it.

Here is the Bobble I made with it before and after working it up as a necklace. It's smaller than the others, so it would probably be nicer to wear as a necklace.

HOLLY - your pics are great! And we love to see what you make! It's time to share some more in fact!

PAULA - be sure to take a picture and show us how you set up your glass storage!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-05-14 at 2:39pm.
Old 2010-05-14, 3:12pm

Teri-would you please post a pic of the bead that you made with misty? That color looks like it has potential. I may need some!
Old 2010-05-14, 3:14pm

Kristina-your frog is great! Love him!
Old 2010-05-14, 6:07pm
Remember to keep smiling

Diane - Love the beads especially DK violet purple on the Lt Blue. My pics have a lot to be desired I have the photo tent on my wish list. How excited you must to be to be moving into a new studio. Be sure and keep us posted how you are doing when you have your surgery. Thanks for posting your pics hope to see more.

Kristina - Your bobble just keep on getting better. So cute.

Holly - LOL couldn’t help but laugh thinking about you crawling around finding all those goodies.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-14, 7:34pm

love the beads I am seeing.

Hubby is going to the races Sat and Sun. Guess what I am doing all day. Can't wait lol

Old 2010-05-15, 5:30am

Here is a pic of the light green. I just love the color!
Old 2010-05-15, 5:50am

Blong, that green is really pretty, are the contrasting beads the light sop green?

Kristina, will post pictures tomorrow, I'm planning on working today, anything interesting, I'll get photos of them too !!

Paula, I just know there's more good stuff down there.....LOL
Old 2010-05-15, 7:16am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
Here is a pic of the light green. I just love the color!
Bethany - what a PRETTY set and combination! Thanks for posting them!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi