Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2010-08-26, 8:19am
Bead Geek!

Default Tabletop Light Tent

My DH got me a table top "studio" for my birthday...it has a light tent, 4 backdrops, camera stand (not a tripod exactly) and 2 lights.
I have been playing around with it and it has improved my pictures, but I was wondering....What is the best location for the lights so that I get a diffuse light and not a bright spot? My best attempts have been placing them above, but I was wondering what those with more experience had to say.
Thanks,
Prax
Attached Images

You must do the things you think you cannot do.
Eleanor Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-my blog (Don't be scared-go visit!)

Last edited by praxidis; 2010-08-26 at 8:23am.
Old 2010-08-26, 10:09am
Karen James

I have that one too. I have had to really play around with it and this is what worked the best last time.

I set it up so that there was a window behind me that had very little light coming into it. I placed one of each of the little lights one each side as shown in your picture, but closer to the front and angled more toward the back so the light was not shining into the cube but casting light through the fabric of the cube. I used the black background. On the "floor" of the cube I put down a solid piece of glass and raised it in the back by about 1".

There was the cube setup. Now for the camera. I used my own tripod and set it on macro. I set the timer for 10 sec and multiple shots for 5. I turned off the flash.

I got some of the best photos I have gotten in a while.

My best advice is to move the cube and lights around your house to see where it works best. Don't use any overhead light with it and try to avoid light coming at you. OH, see the black panel that is leaning in the back of the cube? I laid that on top of the cube with the little lip of it folded under so it did not get in the way of my open area. That helped block out extra light.

Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-08-26, 10:12am
Karen James

Here is an example of what came out of my last batch of pics...

The only editing I did to is was to crop it and compress it to fit here.

Karen

Old 2010-08-26, 10:23am
Bead Geek!

Karen-
Thanks for the tips...those pics look really nice-very clear with nice indirect light...thats what I'm striving for! Right now I'm using my husband's camera (Nikon Coolpix L100) and the macro feature has been working ok so far. I've asked for my own camera for Christmas-lol....
It has its quirks though and I have to do my shooting without using the tripod-I steady the cam on some books aligned to the correct height.
I will try angling the light like you suggest and see what happens...those little lights are great but boy do they heat up!
Thanks a ton!
Prax

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 2010-08-26, 10:34am
Experimentalist

I used that set up for the first ten years of my jewelry making. It was great!

The lights get very hot, though, so be careful.

Why can't you use the tripod? I could never shoot jewelry or beads without my tripods.

As previously mentioned too, I use no flash and set the self-timer on.

BTW, Nikon CoolPix rock for macro photos!

Old 2010-08-26, 11:47am
Bead Geek!

I haven't used a tripod yet mainly because the one I have is too big and I just haven't messed around enough with it to get it where I need it.
I think I need to get one of those that is a bit more adjustable, then I'd use it. I just can't seem to get close enough in the right spot with it.
This is a terrific little portable set up, which is great because I don't have a permanent spot for it...*sigh* someday....
His camera is taking pretty good pics-he never even realized it *had* a macro settting! It does great.

Its way better than my original method, which involved propping up my backdrop (a black blouse) with a large can, balanced between the arm of the chair and my laptop table....then I would scrunch down in the chair to take the pics.
The lighting in that spot is the best in the house with an adjustable lamp-lol!
My DH is so observant and thoughtful-I never even had to ask for the light tent....LOL
Thanks!
Prax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
I used that set up for the first ten years of my jewelry making. It was great!

The lights get very hot, though, so be careful.

Why can't you use the tripod? I could never shoot jewelry or beads without my tripods.

As previously mentioned too, I use no flash and set the self-timer on.

BTW, Nikon CoolPix rock for macro photos!

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 2010-08-26, 12:00pm
Experimentalist

Oh... that camera stand shown in the photo is what I was calling a tripod (my bad). I still use it now, even after moving beyond the photo cube. I am lost without it.

Old 2010-08-26, 4:03pm
Karen James

I picked up an adjustable tripod at Walmart for somthing like $30? It was a long time ago so memory is a little faded on price. The legs adjust up and down and there is a little level in it so it isn't off balance. Pretty cool little tripod.

I have a Canon Rebel EOS, so the little tripod tips on me. The one that came with mine doesn't have the extended legs like yours. I wish it did. That is a nice little unit.

I haven't used my black blouse since I got this cube LOL!

Karen

Old 2010-08-26, 4:52pm
Life is good

Hey Prax,
I have the same exact set up. I do the same thing with the lights. It is a pain in the *** to use that "camera holder". I move glass around and adjust the lights too. I have to adjust each time. Keep playing around with it, it'll get easier.

Old 2010-08-26, 8:12pm
Bead Geek!

Thanks for more tips and hints! I played with it a good part of the afternoon and managed to take some pretty shots. It all helped a huge amount! I placed the whole thing on the floor in front of our patio doors. Then I put the black back part over the top, and put the black background inside (I printed out a gradient and used that too). Then I put a few books under the black velvet thing, and put the stone I use as a prop on those. After that, I lined up another pile of books and set my camera on those. I used the other backdrops to cover the sides, and set the lights up facing up a little and angled back. I think it worked out nicely! Thanks a ton guys!
Now I can see all the dust I missed when I wiped the beads down...
lol
Prax
Attached Images

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 2010-08-26, 8:53pm

Not bad. You need some frontal light though. You can add a little bit of light to the front by using a white piece of cardboard placed to one side of the camera (or underneath it) to reflect a little bit of light into the box. If you play with the size of the reflector and how close or far away you have it, you can vary the amount of light that hits your object. You don't need a lot, just about 1/3 to 1/2 fstop more.

You can also increase the contrast a bit in your photo editor (if you are using one). That will help bring out the colors a bit.

To soften the side light even more, you can hang a piece of white tissue paper or a piece of white nylon material. You don't want it very thick though since you don't have a lot of light and the 2nd layer will reduce the light a bit, but it will soften the highlights even more.

Mike
Old 2010-08-26, 9:02pm
Bead Geek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jordan View Post
Not bad. You need some frontal light though. You can add a little bit of light to the front by using a white piece of cardboard placed to one side of the camera (or underneath it) to reflect a little bit of light into the box. If you play with the size of the reflector and how close or far away you have it, you can vary the amount of light that hits your object. You don't need a lot, just about 1/3 to 1/2 fstop more.

You can also increase the contrast a bit in your photo editor (if you are using one). That will help bring out the colors a bit.

To soften the side light even more, you can hang a piece of white tissue paper or a piece of white nylon material. You don't want it very thick though since you don't have a lot of light and the 2nd layer will reduce the light a bit, but it will soften the highlights even more.

Mike
Thanks Mike! These are the raw pics, I didn't edit them yet, just sized and signed. I did do a little fill light on a couple others though, but not the ones pictured. I can see what you mean about the frontal light...I'll try some white cardboard tomorrow and see how that goes.
I think I have some thin white material around and I'll try draping that over the sides where the lights are placed.
I'll let you know how they turn out and thanks again!
Prax

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 2010-08-27, 10:55am

You want some seperation between the side of the box and the 2nd material. What it does is diffuse the light before it hits the box and then the box sides also diffuse the light some more. Drapping it on the box will also increase the diffusion, but not as much as having some seperation will do. Most of the better softboxes have two layers in them, a removeable one in the middle of the softbox and the one at the front of the softbox. This does the same thing, helps diffuse the light even more.

My favorite way of creating soft light has not been a light tent or box like this, but light panels. I made mine from PVC pipe and sport nylon. To make a two panel 6' high by 4' wide, cost about $35 and I had enough PVC and nylon to almost make another one. And it was excellent for diffusing and softening light... in fact at the time I last used it, the light was to soft for the subjects I was shooting (dogs) and I went back to my softboxes to harshen the light up a little.

And you are welcome, Prax.

Mike
Old 2010-08-27, 12:06pm
Bead Geek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jordan View Post
You want some seperation between the side of the box and the 2nd material. What it does is diffuse the light before it hits the box and then the box sides also diffuse the light some more. Drapping it on the box will also increase the diffusion, but not as much as having some seperation will do. Most of the better softboxes have two layers in them, a removeable one in the middle of the softbox and the one at the front of the softbox. This does the same thing, helps diffuse the light even more.

My favorite way of creating soft light has not been a light tent or box like this, but light panels. I made mine from PVC pipe and sport nylon. To make a two panel 6' high by 4' wide, cost about $35 and I had enough PVC and nylon to almost make another one. And it was excellent for diffusing and softening light... in fact at the time I last used it, the light was to soft for the subjects I was shooting (dogs) and I went back to my softboxes to harshen the light up a little.

And you are welcome, Prax.

Mike
The separation makes sense...I'll do that this weekend (running out of time for it today).
You have been so helpful!
Thanks
Prax

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 2010-08-31, 2:59pm
Bead Geek!

Wow, this weekend was busy-today is the first time I've had to take any pictures of beads.
I tried to use the tips as much as possible, especially about using a second layer in front of the lights but separate from the side of the tent...and having a little more front light. I used the timer on the camera too. Strangely, it looks like I took the pic outside in natural light. Please excuse the lint! If I was going to use this to sell the necklace, I'd redo it over and arrange the beads a little better too. But overall I like the lighting.
Here ya go-let me know what you think.
Thanks
Prax
Attached Images

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 2010-08-31, 3:19pm
Life is good

Very nice pics Prax. Whatever you are doing is working. Oh yeah, the beads are pretty awesome too.

Old 2010-08-31, 3:35pm
Bead Geek!

Aww Dave, thanks a bunch! Your hearts are beautiful, and that dogwood you made is stunning!
Prax

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 2010-09-01, 5:41am
Karen James

Prax,

Great job! Lighting is wonderful and you got the whole necklace and all the beads well focused. Really great photo!

Karen

Old 2010-09-01, 9:35am
Bead Geek!

Thanks Karen-I couldn't have done it without all the help I got from everyone here! Thanks a bunch!
Prax

Eleanor Roosevelt