LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-08-15, 12:42pm

Default purple ? amethyst

I THINK I know the answer to these questions, but, then again, maybe not...
In the 104 range coe, what transparent purples are available? More accurately, I know there's dk, md, lt moretti and vetro.

Are they (the moretti vs the vetro) the same or quite different in color?

Is "amethyst" just another name for these 3 shades of purple?

Is tranparent purple Lauscha as fussy as opaque purple Lauscha as far as encasing and combining with other similar (moretti , vetro) glass?

Why are the photos I'm seeing on S&T more purple than the purples I have (the ones I have are redder except for the ink blues)? Is it just the photography?

Thanks for your experience. I don't want to order all the various purple (i.e. 3 shades of vetro to add to my Moretti and Lauscha) just to find out that they are the same.
Old 2006-08-15, 12:59pm
Missing presumed fed

The dark, medium, light, and pale "purple" are the same as "amethyst." They're the more reddish shades. I'm not sure what you're seeing on S&T. It could be ink blue. It could be Lauscha. There's a Lauscha transparent purple that is very bluish. I've gotten it from Glassdaddy, who doesn't give his colors creative names or numbers, so I can't call it anything other than transparent purple.

I haven't found either the Lauscha opaques or transparents to be unduly fussy about being combined with Effetre/Moretti or Vetrofond. I use a fair amount of Lauscha purple, both opaque and transparent, and haven't had any problems. I've heard there was a specific shade that was giving people difficulty (was it Hawaiian purple?), but since I usually buy from Glassdaddy and he doesn't use those names, I don't know if any of the shades I use is the problematic one.
Old 2006-08-15, 1:48pm

Default that's kind of what iI thought

That's sort of what I thought, but wondered if the Vetro was bluer. The opaque purple seems not to like being encased as a base on large florals with vetro clear encasing - at least that's been my experience (and some others on this forum or WC.) I think it's what others call "hawaii purple," but I also got it from Glass Daddy.

Thanks
Old 2006-08-15, 1:54pm
Missing presumed fed

I almost always do a base of clear, then a thin coat of the Lauscha purple. I do it to conserve the purple, but it also helps with compatibility issues. I also encase with Lauscha, which may be why I haven't had problems.
Old 2006-08-15, 1:59pm

Default others have suggested that

I'm going to have to try that. others have mentionned that works for them as well. It's such a pretty color, but maddening to lose a big bead that way. My encasing needs work at the ends, so it would benefit me in more than one way!

Thanks.
Old 2006-08-15, 2:29pm

OK, the lauscha transparent purple from glassdaddy is real honest to goodness purple, not like the amethysts from moretti. I haven't personally played with the vetro ones, so I can't comment on them. No moretti purple I've ever touched was actually purple. They're orchid and lavendar and grey-ish purple (opaque) and brownish purple for the transparents, but not honest to goodness purple. The lauscha opaque striking purple is also purple. You can get dark purple or lavendar from it, depending on playing with it. I think it likes once in the flame and not a lot of heating and cooling-but I haven't touched mine recently.

And I cannot take a decent picture of any of it, LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2006-08-15, 5:24pm
I fart diamonds

Effetre and Vetro purple/amethyst are the same. If you want real purple, it's like they already said, go with Lauscha. But the Eff/Vet ones look really good over periwinkle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-08-15, 7:40pm

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone. The above info would have been my guess but I thought I might be missing something as the purple and amethyst are both used in descriptions.