No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-21, 10:59am
Molten Designs

Default putting core in pandora beads

what is the easiest and cheapest way to do it and what mandrel size do I need?
Old 2008-10-21, 11:25am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

try using the search button, there are quite a few threads regarding this subject

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-21, 11:33am
ManBearPig

Easiest way is to glue the little inserts into the bead. The best looking way to do it, in my opinion, is to take silver tubing and use some dapping punches to flare it out on both sides to match the bead hole.

Old 2008-10-23, 6:12am
Mary Lockwood

Hi and welcome to LE!

Suzanne is right, there is a lot of really great information here about silver coring beads. It's what got me going to do it!

Here is a link to some great threads:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/se...archid=2580900

Have fun!
~~Mary

Old 2010-07-14, 4:18pm

The above link to coring threads doesn't seem to work. I'm brand new here and hope to get information on where to buy cheap, plated bead inserts in bulk, preferably wholesale. When I get going, I'd go through a package or two of 20 pc inserts in a day. I will glue them in, but haven't found an outlet to buy them in bulk yet.
Old 2010-07-14, 4:57pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Old 2010-07-14, 5:55pm

Ginny, if that was a response to the question about where to purchase bead inserts, it wasn't an answer since you don't sell them, or is this site just a place where people promote their commercial sites?
Old 2010-07-14, 6:48pm
I speak Murrini!

Hum...interesting comment to Jenny there DJT - not quite sure what 'cha meant!

In any case, just to clarify, this site is a friendly forum where glass oriented artists, as well as other creative types (hence the "Etc." in "Lampwork, Etc.") get together, discuss, share, learn, teach one another, and generally interact to further develop their skills, make friends and share information.

It's nice of you to join us. We are like a family here and are always interested in hearing about new members, their interests and experience (even if they're new to the art of lampwork).

On the flip side, if you are looking for a place to locate "cheap" plated coring inserts for mass production to turn over product in a hurry, this may not be the right place for 'ya. You might want to check eBay or do a Google Search to see what you can get on an imported scale.

The work you'll see here is the end product of skill and practice, so you'll probably be encouraged to learn to do coring the slow, technical way using silver tube and either dapping punches or a small machine such as the Jim Moore Press http://www.toolsforglass.com/catalog...beadpress.html or the Impress Tool made by Art in the Round http://www.artintheround.com/categor...d-Supplies.htm.

There are "insert" alternatives, of course, but the ones that are used by higher end, professional lampworkers are not going to be plated cheap stuff; you can find very nice, long lasting sterling silver "glue in" rivets at a few vendors, some of which may be found in the "Vendor's List" Section here: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3538

Hope you find what you're looking for.

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-07-15, 7:04am
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana

That was a very gracious and informative answer, De! Thank you!

CA gift numbers:
Old 2010-07-15, 2:28pm

"On the flip side, if you are looking for a place to locate "cheap" plated coring inserts for mass production to turn over product in a hurry, this may not be the right place for 'ya. You might want to check eBay or do a Google Search to see what you can get on an imported scale."

Mass production? --of hand fired, individually designed glass beads? Hardly. I've done copper enamel beads for decades, since the late 1960's or early 1970's, and want to switch to lampwork so I can do more sculptural-type beads, but right now, I have about 400 beads made over the last several months for my daughter, who will be selling at shows this fall. They all have big holes, but some will exactly fit the Pandora-style bead inserts. I just can't afford to go with sterling or to buy the equipment to make my own from silver tubes at this point.

I had no idea where to get the inserts or even sterling tubes, and joined this site to get some help in finding materials, learning how to use them, and making the switch from copper core beads to solid glass lampwork, but when a person asks a question and another person "answers" with a link to a commercial site, with no products in question answered there, it raises some questions about what this site is about, although I looked at some demonstrations and tutorials and found them to be very helpful. I have a degree in art, and do serious bead designing--not something "mass produced" so that whole business was rather offensive, unless it is common practice here to insult people with limited financial resources (I'm disabled) for tying to find inexpensive substitutes to begin with. If a switch to Pandora style beads changes that situation, I'll be thrilled to purchase equipment to make my own cores, and use SS tubing, which goes better with the hand-crafted concept, but it isn't feasable at this time.
Old 2010-07-15, 3:02pm
Experimentalist

I think part of the response here may be something that can help you in the long run... if you use cheap (your word) components on your nice lampwork beads, you WILL be competing with mass-produced imports who get pennies for their beads. Maybe not the route you want.

Old 2010-07-15, 3:03pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricklend View Post
what is the easiest and cheapest way to do it and what mandrel size do I need?

If you already have 400 made why are you asking what size mandrel you need?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-07-15, 3:17pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

two different people

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-07-15, 4:43pm
I speak Murrini!

Well, DJT, ain't that sumptin'! Frankly, if you took offense to my use of the word "cheap" please go back and look at your post #11 here, as I was simply quoting YOU! Clearly if you want to play semantics into the equation, maybe a better term to use (so as not to imply that you might be just as happy with imported inserts) would have been "inexpensive" or my personal favorite, "frugal".

As far as it being "common practice here to insult people with limited financial resources (I'm disabled) for tying to find inexpensive substitutes to begin with." (again your words, not mine!), well now it's MY TURN to be offended! Slightly Svengali I may sometimes be; somehow clairvoyantly determining that you are disabled and the fact that you might have a limited income, I'm afraid, is far beyond my mind-reading powers, though.

All joking aside, we are a good bunch here, as you may come to learn if you recognize there are certain ways for new members to familiarize themselves with the group, approach us regarding questions and asking for assistance, etc. Without taking further offense, DJT, please consider taking a few moments to check out this thread, since you are new to our board: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=109283 It will give 'ya lots of tips on how to make future inquires.

Honestly, if you just look around a bit you can find some very well made, quality Sterling Silver inserts such as these which are not only available in "bulk" but will add significant value to your end product on behalf of your lovingly-creating lampwork as well as your daughter's time and show space finances invested to resell them. Check these out: http://www.etsy.com/listing/51211717...grommet-eyelet Not bad, don't 'cha think? I mean really...$37.00 invested, including ship, to purchase enough inserts to finish 50 beads (which I'm sure you can resell for much more than "plated" inserts) may not be as bad of an out-of-pocket expense as you might have thought it would be!

And to get back to what Brickland originally asked, if you are thinking of using inserts as well (directed to the original poster), you may have to do a bit of searching around here on LE as well as a bit of experimenting with your mandrels, how much release you use (which will impact EXACTLY how big the resulting hole ends up being), and so on. Doing a general search here using the terms "coring" and "pandora" together (i.e., type "coring pandora" into the search box) will give you lots of good threads to check out.

My best suggestion would be to try some 3/16" mandrels, double dip them in slightly thinned bead release, and check the hole size of the resulting bead. You'll probably find that the rivets available from the link I posted above will fit just about perfectly!

Best of luck to both of you!

Old 2010-07-15, 4:54pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

and just FYI, sniping at people is not a way to persuade people to do your research for you.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-07-15, 5:02pm
I speak Murrini!

Ain't is so, my darling Squid...

Old 2010-07-15, 5:23pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post

Honestly, if you just look around a bit you can find some very well made, quality Sterling Silver inserts such as these which are not only available in "bulk" but will add significant value to your end product on behalf of your lovingly-creating lampwork as well as your daughter's time and show space finances invested to resell them. Check these out: http://www.etsy.com/listing/51211717...grommet-eyelet Not bad, don't 'cha think? I mean really...$37.00 invested, including ship, to purchase enough inserts to finish 50 beads (which I'm sure you can resell for much more than "plated" inserts) may not be as bad of an out-of-pocket expense as you might have thought it would be!
De, something doesn't add up here. Description in the link you posted:

"Hole Size: 5mm

Sample picture of the lampwork beads are capped with the rivets, mandrel used are 3/16" diameter."

3/16" is 4.7625mm. For the hole to be 5mm, it would mean that the wall of the rivet is 5mm-4.7625mm / 2 which equals 0.06mm thick!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-07-15, 5:25pm
da General

The ONLY way to use a 3/16" mandrel and still add rivets/coring is using the tubing from Indian Jewelry Supply - custom made (arranged by our own Debbi/ginkodesigns) which is 5.08mm tubing with 4.37mm hole with the thickness being 27 gauge/0.1775mm

Pandora chain is 4.2mm thick and Biagi is 4.1mm

The BHB exchange I am running in the Patio section contains lots of good information and tips on coring.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-07-15, 8:29pm
I speak Murrini!

Hayley...

Since I'm exhausted and practically catatonic at the moment, can you spare me trying to do the math and tell me - are these rivets too large or too small for 3/16" mandrel made beads?

Sorry! I'm getting ready to travel early in the a.m. and my mind is mush!

Old 2010-07-15, 8:41pm
Formerly FishBulb

I'll also mention that if you are trying to do coring on a budget, you can also do it with copper tubing. Brass is also possible but I don't know how good it'll look.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-07-15, 8:41pm
da General

I don't know, De! lol!

Two possibilities here:
If the rivets do indeed have 5mm holes, then they are too large for 3/16" mandrels.

If the beads were indeed made on 3/16" mandrels, then the holes cannot be 5mm . . . probably 4mm or smaller which will fit Troll chains but not Pandora.

In other word, it's physically impossible to have 5mm hole AND fit perfectly in beads made on 3/16" mandrels.

Hope that makes sense!

ETA: bead made on 3/16" mandrels will have holes that are about 5mm.. . thus my guess is that the OD (outside diameter) of those rivets are 5mm while the ID (inside diameter) is much less.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-07-15, 8:42pm
Formerly FishBulb

I just noticed this thread was started in 2008. Wonder if the OP ever got their answer!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-07-15, 8:44pm
da General

I think this thread is more about DJT than the OP, Angie!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-07-15, 9:06pm
I speak Murrini!

Okie...I did some ass backwards checking. It's sort of a "Colombo" style of research, but often interesting results ensue!

So.....First I checked this particular rivet seller's feedback on Etsy! Close to 1000 sales since June of '07; approximately 574 posts and all equate to 100%!

Checking further, I saw many buyers of these rivets from this seller, and there were some familiar names amongst them as well (which I ain't gonna drop - you go see for yourself! )

Of those rivet buyers, I roughly checked who actually had some of them in use and applied to current beads for sale in their shops. I took the first several I found as examples; I searched for ones that appear to definitely have the "rivet" versus a possible "tube" core showing from a side view photo of the product for sale.

Here's a nice example: http://www.etsy.com/listing/51611657...g-silver-large

And another:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/45189226...-lampwork-bead

And another:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/50188197...loral-lampwork

I suspect that even if the rivets are a bit loose/sloppy fitting when inserted to test 'em, once glued in, they're a pretty good fit.

If it were me (I have the yet-to-be-tried Impress, so I don't do the rivet thing! ) and I were considering buying a quantity of these or any other rivets for ease-of-use and cost control, I'd contact the seller and just be SURE of the mandrel size, the release thickness, etc.

Old 2010-07-15, 9:08pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyric0561 View Post
That was a very gracious and informative answer, De! Thank you!
Oh, and thank you for that nice comment!

Old 2010-07-15, 10:03pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
two different people
Duh! Didn't even notice! Thanks. All this math is making my brain hurt. I have rivit and tubing but I can't seem to make the holes big enough for either.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.