LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-28, 12:18am
Naysayer

I put these in the kiln, the end ya know? It doesn't matter, this shit is just shit. There's something wrong with it like air bubbles or something. When I said it's violent, it really is!

But why not prewarm in a brick kiln? I do for goldstone etc
Old 2013-08-28, 12:20am
Happy Inner Dragon

Aww bugger. That glass sounds nasty
Because I'd have to put the whole thing in there. It's a ceramics kiln with a big door. No fun handling a whole hot rod with nothing to hold onto.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA# P107
Old 2013-08-28, 12:31am
Artistically Absorbed

I have had a few glasses that are just awful for popping off, my solution is to cut them into 1 inch segments, and just toss them in the kiln before I turn it on to work. Then just use hemos to get them out and pull them into stringer where they tend to be more reasonable. Not sure if that would work for you, but maybe something to try.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-08-29, 11:58pm
Naysayer

Oh I see Di, just was wondering if I was doing a no no lol.

These shock so bad one inch sections wouldn't work in this case. It's been so long I neglected contacting Frantz about getting it replaced...maybe ?
Old 2013-08-30, 12:03am
Happy Inner Dragon

I hope you get some joy, then. It may not be the end of the world, but I'd be pretty POd if I'd copped that much unusable product.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2013-08-30, 5:44am
Queen Bee

Not that it helps you guys who are stuck with pounds of the Effetre shocky white, but I switched to CIM peace quite awhile ago - I think it's wonderful

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-08-30, 6:04am
I fart diamonds

I use a lot of Effetre white at work and it's almost always horrible. In 6 years, I might have gotten 2 good batches and I've gone through a few hundred pounds of it. I'll also add the last couple of batches of black that I've gotten and my current batch of Pea Green and Lemon Yellow to the list.

Old 2013-09-02, 12:40am
Naysayer

Yes, the black is crap, not shocky for me but man does it boil! I hate to even use it as a base glass.

So yes, lesson learned..don't sway from Peace lol...it's the same price.
Old 2013-09-02, 7:21am
Loving learning

How strange that we have so many differing experiences. I use Eff 064 black all the time for bases, and haven't had a problem. Same with white. I do work pretty slow though, maybe that is why?
If I do get a rod of a color that is shocky, I turn the propane up while I warm the rod in the end of the big reducing flame, then adjust back to normal & continue working. I got that from someone here, but I am just not sure who. I do know it was someone I look up to though, and consider one of the Really Big Kids!
Old 2013-09-02, 6:24pm

I don't know if this will be helpful but Reichenbach has a new 104 white..not even sure how the prices compare but mine has not exploded.I have some Effrete white i have not used in about 8 years(just don't use white a lot)Will get that out and try it.I know it wasn't from Mike Franz..was a place called DeBussey i think..not around anymore.
"

Old 2013-09-03, 12:21am
Naysayer

Eileen I promise working slow will not help. Nothing will help this glass. I use anise white and other shocky glass no problem. This shatters and flies so hard and fast it's frightening and doesn't stop if it's near a flame.

I will have to try the Reichenbach, need to order from Olympic anyways
Old 2013-09-06, 10:17am

Be careful with Reichenbach white, it doesn't like being encased and can cause cracking. I'm not sure if this was just a batch thing, but quite a few of us in the UK had issues with it a while back.

Old 2013-09-06, 1:52pm

I just got my CIM Peace and it is wonderful. Not at all shocky and melts like butter.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations