No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-08-28, 11:57pm
Naysayer

Default Glass Quality Rant

I was wondering the other night. I ran out of clear, grabbed a rod from a coffee can that is old glass, 2006 or before. The clear was SO nice! All I ever used then was effetre clear.

Back then we didn't have 600 threads about what clear, or 300 different kinds of clear. Seems lately most glass went to the shitter and is scummy and/or shocky, yet we're paying more. Why is glass quality so crappy now? Before it was the random rod popping at me, now I have soooooo many burn marks, my arms, my neck and chest..all manufacturers, honestly except the 'smaller' makers ie. Double Helix, Brad's striking color, and TAG. *Edit to add, seems Reichenbach is not bad, I've only used Iris Orange and Multi Color* Rods are either exploding right away, randomly, or they break in 1/4 inch chunks as I'm working. Last night I had another one of those odd from the side of the rod explosions and it went down my shirt

I have a thread here about white. I always used effetre or vetro of course, then Peace came and I used that. Effetre was on sale, bought some, had to trash the whole half pound, every rod was just violent. I had the same issue with vetro that I posted about here also in the past. Ok, lesson learned, I stuck with Peace and bought more, it is now shocking, not *as bad and not every rod, but it is more prone to be shocky then I've used before which would be from early batches.

Is it rushing pulling the rods? Just not caring? Too much mixing causing air bubbles?

Personally I'd rather have quality than 40 shades of ivory.

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2014-08-29 at 12:00am.
Old 2014-08-29, 1:29am

Yeah, I am basically feeling the same way lately. Double Helix clears are great, and I use them almost exclusively, but they are so expensive. Effetre's clear is crap. I had a batch of Vetrofond Super Clear from the Frantz Fun House from awhile back that wasn't too bad at all - so that's the only one I might use as a back up. I am not fond of Lauscha, and even CiM (which I love otherwise) has clear that doesn't work for me.

It seems that lately, Effetre has gone downhill. Glass colors that I never had issues with before are becoming inconsistent, shocky, full of holes and dirty. Some even have cracking problems where they haven't before (ahem, RUBINO). It seems that the prices of handmade colors go up, but the quality goes down.

CiM's colors are still pretty good for me, but I even have issues with them on occasion. I thought maybe it was just me, but maybe not.

I've made a vow not to buy any more glass (other than staples like clear and black) until I use up some of the huge amount I have. Maybe by then, quality will have gotten better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-08-29, 3:48am
Angie09

Wow...I thought it was just me being picky. I've got more 1/4" pieces of rods on my desk and it's not just 1 color or 1 manufacturer. CIMs Marashino I recently purchased is almost unusable, dark ivory (which looks exactly like regular ivory) blows up every time it's introduced into the flame ..... And on and on. Reichenbach is a lot less stocky but I can't always use 96 for a particular project. Is there anything we as the consumer can do about this? It is truly a waste of money...I don't even other buying the new colors any more. Just not sure what I'll get or if I can get more than a pound because it's "limited"....what's that all about??? Trouble reproducing the original color so just call the new batch "limited"???? It's discouraging to say the least.
Old 2014-08-29, 5:35am

I am having the same problems and thought I was doing something different. It seems to be more is bad than good in Effetre and Cim. I just bought Cim Phoenix and every rod had a large hole going all the way up the middle. Also have about 3 lbs of Effetre white the same. Hope things get better.

Old 2014-08-29, 6:26am
Lampworkaholic!

Reichenbach 104 and Kugler 104 and Lauscha seem to be consistently user-friendly.

Bullseye has been variable in shockiness.

Silver glass seems to be mostly stable.

Gaffer glass is nice if you don't mind using 96.

I think all the odd-lot colors from Messy and Effetre are regular batches gone wrong. I don't know if it's the ingredients that have changed (as makers seek alternatives to the rare earth elements that have been restricted from export by China) or a quality control issue or something else.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-08-29, 7:10am

currently I'm looking for uranium green that doesn't shoot across the room

I was just sold conical rods along with regular rods which have air from one end to the other. I already have 1/2 lb of that stuff
I have old glass that is a dream nice sized rods that just melt .
Hate the thin rods but at least they have less air
very frustrating
Old 2014-08-29, 7:58am
Mr Brutus RIP

Yup, same here.......burns all over from rods exploding. I buy just what I need these days and its very frustrating to have half land on my bench. I'm not a silver glass person, I buy by the rod to try, dont buy much cim either, mind is all mostly regular glass, effetre......really stinks!

Old 2014-08-29, 12:22pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Another one here ... just that can't understand what's happening.

Had an older batch of Handpulled Red Roof Tile and no issues whatsoever.
Then one of the vendors had a huge 50% off sale, and I took advantage and bought 3 lbs. of the handpulled Red Roof Tile.

Every frigging rod shatters and explodes, even if I pre-heat them in the kiln.
It's not only annoying but also scares the shit out of me. It's not just little pieces of shocked glass, these rods literally explode in the flame and big chunks of one inch are flying around the table. I'm so disappointed and don't dare to buy this color any more.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2014-08-29, 8:18pm
Catnip Pusher

Wow - I thought it was just me! I feel better - misery loves company after all!

I've been using Uroboros clear, and it works well for me. It's pricier than the scummy Effetre, but cheaper than the Double Helix (which I will use for "special" beads) - and I just can't being myself to spend the time and effort to pickle glass. I mean, I shouldn't HAVE to!

I avoided the shocky white problem last time by buying stringers (I use a lot of white stringer), but my black is getting shocky now too - just plain ol' black. And I could probably list a dozen other "problem" colors by checking out the litter on my worksurface...

Does Mike Frantz know about these issues? Has he any insight as to what the Italians might be doing differently that is affecting the glass?

Aimee
Old 2014-08-29, 9:11pm

Are you certain that these companies havent outsourced their production? Sounds like something major has changed in more then one product line.
Old 2014-08-29, 9:36pm

I did read somewhere there were problems in the last couple of years to get access to certain raw materials or minerals, and that the glass manufacturers had to change their glass recipes because of this shortage.
The problems that we experience could maybe be the result of the changes in the ingredients?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2014-08-29, 11:24pm
Catnip Pusher

I bet you're right Judith! They've had to tweak their formulas to compensate for the unavailable or high cost raw materials.

Aimee
Old 2014-08-30, 5:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
Double Helix clears are great, and I use them almost exclusively, but they are so expensive.
For me it boiled down to paying a bit more for DH, or throwing away scummy encased beads, it all came out to the same price. Six of one half dozen of the other, I went with the quality product cause I'm not fond of the wasted time and loose of hair that I pull out.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2014-08-30, 6:41am

use the double helix zephyr 2nds. they actually honestly seem like 1sts...and only $40 a lb. not too shabby at all. it's bulletproof 104 clear.

my 2nd choice is TAG Clarity....but that shite is major $...but really boil and scum proof.
Old 2014-08-30, 7:11pm
addicted to dichro

I really miss nice rubino and regular effetre black never used to scum and reduce so much either.

Old 2014-08-30, 9:05pm

Does anyone ever send back the bad batches?

Barbara
Old 2014-08-31, 7:34am

I have more glass than I could possibly use in a lifetime, and have lost the impulse to buy more ( for the most part). Sounds like it is a very good thing.
Old 2014-08-31, 7:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadbroad View Post
I have more glass than I could possibly use in a lifetime, and have lost the impulse to buy more ( for the most part). Sounds like it is a very good thing.
Same for me at this point. Every now and then I pull out a color I haven't used yet and fall in love and order more so I don't run out of it before it disappears.

I recently started stockpiling 96coe, and am slowly learning the colors. I love them and expect that I will want more of those. The blues and purples are so beautiful.
Old 2014-09-02, 11:08am

I agree with Beadbroad. I used to buy every single colour of glass that came out and I liked the look of but then it got to a point where when it got delivered, it looked like a different glass so I stopped.

I still window shop but I find that most new glass looks like exsisring colours. I have a batch of fossill dark that I couldn't even use as everytime I heat it up it shatters and shoots across the room!
Old 2014-09-02, 5:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Billig View Post
Another one here ... just that can't understand what's happening.

Every frigging rod shatters and explodes, even if I pre-heat them in the kiln.
It's not only annoying but also scares the shit out of me. It's not just little pieces of shocked glass, these rods literally explode in the flame and big chunks of one inch are flying around the table.
We should have a contest on who can shatter a 13" rod in the shortest time
Old 2014-09-02, 5:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbeads View Post
Tehehehe - I'm game, but only with protective clothing and a face shield!!

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2014-09-02, 5:30pm
Super Duper

What gets me is the money grab "odd lots".

They seriously need to stop dumping two random colors into the filligrana machine and slapping a massive price tag on the trash it spits out.
Old 2014-09-02, 6:21pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbeads View Post
Oh you havent been to Glass Stock West and watched the Boro boys pick up a rod of 104
Old 2014-09-02, 7:35pm
Against the Grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Oh you havent been to Glass Stock West and watched the Boro boys pick up a rod of 104
Sounds pretty dangerous! I would love to watch though, from behind a bulletproof shield.

Old 2014-09-02, 7:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Yay - glass confetti !
Did they jump out of their shoes?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2014-09-03, 4:36am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp View Post
What gets me is the money grab "odd lots".

They seriously need to stop dumping two random colors into the filligrana machine and slapping a massive price tag on the trash it spits out.
Totally agree with this ^^^. Back to basics would be good when colors weren't washed out and the quality might justify the cost.

Old 2014-09-03, 6:03am

There is a thread here somewhere from Mike Frantz called "Ask Mikey". If you can find it, it might be worth asking him what he knows about formulas, etc.
Old 2014-09-03, 11:22pm
Naysayer

^good idea, I'll link this there.
I was just thinking, I know not too many come here, imagine how many more would chime in, I should've posted in family room.

I'm seriously sad about the scars on my chest, I have dots, lines..it looks like I have a rabid cat and acne. My arms, I look like an addict. I have two that look like scratches from Peace, just blew off the side as I was working...more than once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
Does anyone ever send back the bad batches?
I did save the effetre white for awhile, but never did send it back. We really should though.

-I am laughing at the boro boys though. Imaging working and your shit just explodes too!

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2014-09-03 at 11:27pm.
Old 2014-09-04, 5:07am
flight risk

If there were colors that were consistently bad, I would be OK. But I have batches of Hades that are good, and batches that are shocky. I have Sangre where one or two rods pop off in 1/4 inch chunks. And it varies from torch to torch too. Sunshine gets black spots on my hot head, not on my cricket. Biscotti is fine on the HH, but spots on the cricket. If I knew what to expect, I could try to work with it. Overall I love my glass, but sometimes it's frustrating.

Old 2014-09-04, 5:51am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Some of the CiM's are extremely shocky, especially the newer reds and many of the turquoise colors. I used a red (Firecracker) last week and it shattered like crazy. I've always known I had to slowly introduce CiM rods to the flame but this was ridiculous. Although I love CiM and their colors, their rods can be very temperamental.