Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2019-11-28, 12:23pm

Cool What is biggest Gtt torch with 3 5lpm concentrators

I have 3 5lpm invocare concentrators and i bought the ggt cricket. Within about a month I feel I need much larger torch I cant even make a vessel bigger than about 6" y'all and about 3" round. Looking to grow but do not want to have to change torches for a long time
Old 2019-11-28, 1:31pm

GTT has an FAQ on their site- Flow Rates for GTT Torches- that should tell you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2019-11-28, 2:28pm

Keep in mind that 3 5’s does not give you 15. It’s more like 12.
Old 2019-11-28, 7:48pm

I don't have experience but I'll say a Sidewinder because it works with low pressure. Oxygen purity will be best at flows less than the "label" rating of a concentrator, as stated above.

Edit: the chart from GTT is somewhat old. A sweet torch would be the Sidewinder with a Lynx center fire. But I'm thinking your oxygen supply is going to be the biggest limitation for future growth.
https://www.mountainglass.com/GTT-Si...nx-Center-Fire
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 0f433e_940fa1536d544665a118116eb9542e62.pdf (23.2 KB, 933 views)

Last edited by Subduction; 2019-11-28 at 8:00pm.
Old 2019-12-05, 9:13pm
Alaska Boro

Take a look at the GTT Mirage and Delta. Perhaps even bigger. Check with the folks at "talkglass.com" as they use bigger torches for many of their projects.

Your 3 concentrators will not run any of the larger torches. Use three 5 LPM machines just to run a Scorpion and considering adding a forth. For larger oxygen needs look at tanked or LOX. Some have built low pressure (100 PSI) oxygen systems using 6 plus conentrators with a 100 gallon holding tank using an oxygen safe compressor.
Old 2019-12-26, 1:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Use three 5 LPM machines just to run a Scorpion and considering adding a forth.
What configuration of the 3x 5LPM machines do you use for the inner & outer fire on the Scorpion?
Old 2019-12-26, 3:33pm
Alaska Boro

The concentrates are all combined into one manifold. One could use "Y" connectors to perform the same function. Then two oxygen lines are run to the torch as it is a 4 stud unit.

When the torch is on, oxygen is added to the outer ring as it help better form the inner flame. Then when additional heat is needed only the fuel is added and adjusted as needed for the outer flame. The O2 is always on for both the inner and outer flame.

The Scorpion works very well with three 5 LPM units. Like to keep the overall O2 in the 3.5 to 4 LPM range on each machine. The Cricket will work with one 5 LPM unit, but will perform much better with two concentrates.
Old 2019-12-27, 6:29am
DaveK

Put a compressor on those. I have 2 10s and 2 5s (10s are set to 7 & 5s are set to 3 LPM to boost O2 purity to 95%) feeding a compressor feeding my Mirage.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2019-12-27, 6:53pm

Default Sodium flare from boro using with oxy cons?

I hope I'm not running afoul of the rules but I'm trying to get more insight into an issue I originally posted in the Boro Room. This thread seems to have folks with similar setups.

I run the GTT Scorpion's Bobcat center fire on an EX-20 + propane. The boro melts but I don't get a bright yellow sodium flare; it's orange and not bright (of course I wear goggles anyway). I don't even think the flame without glass is as blue as it should be.
The EX-20 (Invacare Platinum 10) flow is turned down somewhat to maximize purity. Is an orange flare normal for oxy cons?
Old 2020-01-01, 9:56am

Bobcat centerfire should run great on a 20. But it is still not a super hot flame compared to bigger torches, and a concentrator will never give you what tanked will. I don't know about your sodium flare question though. I thought boro was not a sodium glass - it is silica and boron. Are you getting good results on your colors that require oxygenation?
Old 2020-01-07, 2:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
Bobcat centerfire should run great on a 20. But it is still not a super hot flame compared to bigger torches, and a concentrator will never give you what tanked will. I don't know about your sodium flare question though. I thought boro was not a sodium glass - it is silica and boron. Are you getting good results on your colors that require oxygenation?
Yeah, there was painfully bright yellow flare with boro during class. I haven't yet tried color in that way at home. I'm finishing up some studio construction but wanted to make sure my EX-20 was working. Boro melts but I can't tell if my O2 is above 90% like it should be. The color test is next and I will report back for those who are interested.
Old 2020-08-07, 7:57pm

Thanks everyone I've upgraded to the sidewinder with lynx center and have 1 extream oxy 10lpm and 3 mobilair 5 litter and having no issues that I know of. Still unclear if there is any better way to do this. I've looked at the oxygen frog systems and high volume systems but never could come up with that much dough at once. In the end I probably have more in the set up then one of those small systems but I do this for hobby only and give most of my work away everyone says I'm pretty good but you know everyone that can't do it says it's great. But anyway I'm constantly gathering concentrators and have found they are pretty simple and have repaired several is there any aftermarket for parts like the 4 way valve because they are very expensive for what they are or is there a cheaper replacement I could buy