Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-13, 2:42pm
Temptress

Default Help me choose.....Boro or Bullseye?

I get to choose a new glass to play with (and can't really afford to get both). I can get a studio stocker from BE or a nice sampler of boro....and I can't decide which way to go!
Anyone want to try and help influence my decision? What should I consider?
TIA,
Julie
Old 2007-01-13, 3:18pm
Knob Creek Glass

Definitely Bullseye. The colors are great. Different from Moretti and Vetrofond. Stiffer, but not too stiff.

Bullseye is great once you buy the studio pack. Good discounts.
Old 2007-01-13, 3:30pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Any torch that you can work Moretti on will be fine for Bullseye. That may not be necessarily true for Boro.

So you need to know if your torch can handle Boro. If not can you or do you want to upgrade? Are you willing to reprogram your kiln so you have a boro annealing schedule? Do you have the correct eye protection for working boro? Are you willing to spend the extra money for boro?

Those are the types of things I would be looking at when making a decision like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-13, 3:52pm
Boro Brat

If your torch can handle it (anything on tanked oxy or two oxy cons), I guess you know my vote is for boro Working boro is like nothing else...get a starter pack from Brent or Chad. And don't forget to hop over to the boro room for tips

Old 2007-01-13, 4:30pm
The Venerable Bead

boroboroboroboro don't forget the eyewear and the proper ventilation. also remember the warning you must heed that once you go boro you may never go back!

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-01-13, 4:38pm
ManBearPig

I love boro. I haven't worked with Bullseye enough to really comment on it, except for the fact that the color pallete isn't really different enough from Moretti for me. The whole reason I was drawn to boro was the colors. Plus, it's much more forgiving, which is great as well. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but with a good starter pack and the help of the people in the boro room, you should have no problem.

I know this is shameless self promotion, but this is my beginner's pack: http://www.soleiletlune.com/store/in...&productId=234

Assuming, that is, that you aren't on a hot head. If you are, I wouldn't suggest boro. A hot head just isn't hot enough.

Old 2007-01-13, 5:04pm
Temptress

LOL! No not on a hot head...a Lynx and an OG20. I was trying to hold out for the Glass Craft Expo in Vegas to make my decision...but my impatience is quickly winning over and I'm trying to find good reasons for one over the other.
I'm leaning toward the boro but I'm worried that the learning curve may be more than a little curve....I'd have to feel like I was starting over...I can still remember the frustration of it the first time around.
I am, of course, assuming that I can find a proper annealling schedule in the boro room.
Sigh...decisions like this are so hard to make....and if I never go back like you guys say, what on earth am I going to do a couple hundred pounds of effetre?
Oh, one last question, in the long run, is boro really that much more expensive to work with?
Will be checking out starter packs this weekend!
Thanks,
Julie
Old 2007-01-13, 5:23pm
Boro Brat

Boro is not more expensive to work with! The colors are pricey, but most boro people use MOSTLY clear with just a touch of color...a little color goes a long way! Your set-up would be perfect for boro! The learning curve isn't too bad. It takes a little futzing around to find what works for your set-up, but in many ways I find boro easier than soft glass. It's nice and easy to get good ends and the colors ar just sooooooooo beautiful! I have tried bullseye and although I really do like the desaturated colors that Moretti doesn't offer, it wasn't too exciting to go from moretti to bullseye...also, I didn't like the vanilla very much, so that was dissappointing because I LOVE ivory and felt lost without a good alternative. Try the boro!! You won't be sorry you did!

Old 2007-01-13, 5:28pm
HourGlass Studio

I agree to go with boro. I went from moretti/ vetro to bullseye and while I liked it...I didnt really love it the way I am lovin the boro. I am a boro newbie but totally love what I see so far. I get excited by the colors in a way that soft glass never did for me.

Old 2007-01-13, 9:22pm
The Venerable Bead

don't worry about selling your soft glass if you decide to stay on the dark side. someone will snap it up in the garage sale in a second. a boro annealing schedule is easy peasy and yes there's a thread in the boro room with a schedule. if you can't find it, pm me.
also check out the frit blends in the sample size that I offer on my site. Many folks new to Boro tell me they are a great way to have some early success.

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-01-13, 9:25pm
HourGlass Studio

Oh yes.....Paula frits are awsome indeed. Plus shes such a super wonderful person. I emailed her with some questions and she was very helpful. I highly reccomend her blends they are great.

Old 2007-01-13, 10:29pm

If you are looking for a substantial change, try the boro. There's a learning curve to everything, even BE. (I switched to BE 2 years ago and still haven't gotten it down completely - on a really bad day, I think about pulling out the Effetre to make myself feel better.) But for a BIG dfference (and to use the power in that generator), go to boro and try something COMPLETELY new. It will be more fun.

***The color part might be frustrating, but you already know how to make and shape a bead. That's a good portion of the 'beginner frustration'. The worse that will happen is that you won't get the colors that you want. Remember to buy lots and lots of clear, you'll use it over and under with boro and it's the cheap part. You might also get a book on color work, Lori Robbins and the folks at R4 wrote one that's only $20, I think. Doug
Remshneider wrote one, too, but I think it was $40. There may be others.

Last edited by KEW; 2007-01-13 at 10:38pm.
Old 2007-01-13, 10:32pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post
Boro is not more expensive to work with! The colors are pricey, but most boro people use MOSTLY clear with just a touch of color...a little color goes a long way! Your set-up would be perfect for boro! The learning curve isn't too bad. It takes a little futzing around to find what works for your set-up, but in many ways I find boro easier than soft glass. It's nice and easy to get good ends and the colors ar just sooooooooo beautiful! I have tried bullseye and although I really do like the desaturated colors that Moretti doesn't offer, it wasn't too exciting to go from moretti to bullseye...also, I didn't like the vanilla very much, so that was dissappointing because I LOVE ivory and felt lost without a good alternative. Try the boro!! You won't be sorry you did!
Not that I am arguing against boro, but wanted to point out that BE has an ivory now - it's called Nougat!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-01-13, 10:38pm

It's nice, isn't it?
Old 2007-01-13, 10:59pm
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Not that I am arguing against boro, but wanted to point out that BE has an ivory now - it's called Nougat!
Oh, cool!! Thanks for the heads up!!

Old 2007-01-14, 8:25am
ManBearPig

Boro is a little more expensive. You can get around that by using lots of clear. The plus side is that things made of boro tend to sell for more, so it all equals out.

Old 2007-01-14, 12:31pm
Temptress

Spent some time looking at the boro galleries and photos and stuff....it's too late to change my mind now! I can't wait to try it! I will be ordering a sampler from you in just a few minutes Chad. Then it's on to the Boro Room where I can read and take notes as I impatiently wait for my goodies to arrive.
Checked out Paula's frits. Can't wait to try a few of those, too, but will wait a little longer before I buy those.
I have to say, one of the things I really love about LE is that you can always find a good group of people willing to help you get yourself in trouble
Thanks so much everyone! I expect you'll be seeing the whiny posts from me in a few weeks (I'll try not to whine too much) complaining about why can't I make something work.
Best,
Julie
Old 2007-01-14, 1:20pm
Serenity Now!

You made a GREAT decision, Julie!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here: