Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2020-10-12, 10:40am

Default Replace hoses?

Hi everyone,
After moving two years ago and a bunch of other changes in my life, I hadn't set up my torch and oxygen and propane tanks until recently. I purchased the hoses, regulators, and flash arrestors in 2007. They haven't been used for the past two years, but were stored carefully, etc. Should I replace the hoses before using? Anything else I should consider before starting up again?
Cheers!
Old 2020-10-12, 11:14am
Phill

I guess you are going to have to throw the dice and give them a thorough going over looking for anything that gives you concern.

Since I use only house hold natural gas which runs at a pressure of something like one quarter of a pound per square inch and a 10 lpm oxycon I consider my 12 year old hoses still safe.

Mine have been coiled under my bench, in the house, in the dark and un-moved and lightly used at that.

If I had them out in the cold / hot garage up here in Minnesota all that time and / or dragged in and out of there into the sun and on the concrete or gravel driveway 10 times a summer and had them running at 5psi fuel and 15 psi oxygen I would replace them at 10 years old even if they looked fine.

Rubber has a shelf life and even the rubber inside pressure regulators should be replaced or over hauled at ten years even if they just sit in a drawer all that time.
Fuel and oxygen bottles tend to run at 1000 psi or better and you just cant afford age related failures at those kinds of pressures.

Hope this helps.
Old 2020-10-12, 3:56pm

I love the fact that you are self professed as pessimistic! I appreciate your input. I think I'll replace the set up and start fresh. Thanks!
Old 2020-10-17, 3:35am

I don't think that hose replacements is a good idea as a guy who uses help from different science websites i preffer everything done quickly and professional.
Old 2020-10-17, 7:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJD View Post
I love the fact that you are self professed as pessimistic! I appreciate your input. I think I'll replace the set up and start fresh. Thanks!
I also like to err on the side of caution when I am questioning things that can cause damage or injury, especially when the cost is low to purchase/replace. My old hoses always look just fine, but I replace them anyway after a few years. I do keep mine outside, but they are covered with pool noodles.