Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-11-26, 9:32pm
Critter Mom

Default What colors and DVD would you buy ?

I'm a soft glass worker, but I'm getting a GTT Cheetah and I'm gonna try out some boro. My son gave me a gift certificate and I think I'm gonna use it for some boro and a DVD to get myself started. I'd like to be able to make pendants...so here are my questions...

If you had $100 to spend what colors would you get (I've got quite a bit of clear) ?

And, if you were to buy one DVD which one would it be ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-26, 10:30pm

I'd buy either of Brent Graber's videos in a heartbeat. He's a great instructor and it comes across in his videos. Money well-spent.

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2010-11-26, 10:36pm

Oh, I forgot to list some colors. These are my personal favs.

NS Double Amber Purple
NS Star White
NS Jet Black
NS Loki's Lipstick
NS Blue Moon
NS Pomegranate
NS Rust
Momka Stormy Weather
Momka Violet Hue
Momka Purple Thunder
TAG Red Elvis
TAG Yellow Elvis
TAG Pink Cadillac
GA Peacock Chameleon

I'd also spend some money on frit. Clear in a variety of sizes, double amber purple, NS yellow, NS blue moon, cobalt, and cherrywood are my must-haves.

Have fun!

Angela Kane

Old 2010-11-27, 12:21am

Brent Graber's video on making heart pendants will teach you alot.
It's my favorite DVD.
Old 2010-11-27, 3:25am
Serenity Now!

If you're just starting out, I suggest checking out www.smartflix.com (where you can rent DVD's). There's a great DVD from Doug Remschneider (spelling?) that covers several beginning Boro techniques.

I also suggest starting out with just a few colours - and some clear. Having too many colours too soon can be confusing and frustrating, as each colour has it's own characteristics, and many possibilities. There's a bit of a learning curve to Boro colours - enjoy the journey, there is much to discover!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2010-11-27, 4:05am
boro color bender

Wow, thank you for the kind feedback on my DVDs...

You can do a lot with a few colors... my first love is Amber Purple... over white it can be yellow to orange to pink to purple... over black or dark sparkles, it is blues and greens... very versatile. If you decide to go with my first DVD, there's a list of the colors I used on my website, so you can pre-shop... if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-11-27, 8:35am
put a bird on it

Here are some of my faves...

NS Double Amber Purple
NS Unobtainium
NS Blue Moon
Momka Citrus Grapfruit
Momka Antique Beauty
Momka Purple Thunder
GA Silver Strike 5
GA Tequila Sunrise
GA Ivory and/or Coral Blush
Origin Blush

Be sure to look for sales as boro is pricey, but there is almost always a good sale somewhere.

I second renting Doug's vids...great for learning beads, striking, color. And I love Chad's (Cosmo) tuts for pendants.

Paula's (Venbead) frit blends are great for beads or implosions. Fengfritfactory has some too, and also some murrini I'm dying to try, but haven't had a chance yet.

Have fun!
Old 2010-11-27, 9:05am
Critter Mom

Thanks for all the info, it really helps.

Sean.m sent me a PM with the link for smart flix too. I'm gonna have to check it out, I'd never heard of it before you all mentioned it here.

I do have Brent's first DVD, but I think I must have gotten something on it or scrated it when I took it out of the case cuz it freezes up on me so I haven't been able to watch it. I just got a DVD cleaner that I'm gonna try on it and see if I can fix the problem. And I just bought a stick of his Serendipity it's huge compared to what I'm used to using.

I love purples and reds and all of the swirly colors. The gift cert is for Mountain Glass Arts and they have 30% off on Northstar right now...so I may have to print these lists out and go shoppin' before their sale ends.

Old 2010-11-27, 10:37am
boro color bender

If you can't get it to work, just shoot me a PM with your address and I'll be happy to send you another copy... I wish i had known, you'd have a copy that works for you, with out getting a cleaner thingy.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-11-27, 12:55pm
Critter Mom

That's a very nice offer Brent. I'm gonna give the cleaner a try later today and see if that doesn't fix the problem. At first I thought it was my DVD player so I brought one in from my studio, but still no luck. I was glad to find out it wasn't my player though. I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks again Brent.

Old 2010-11-27, 1:05pm
Life is good

Hi Bonnie.
I second the motion on either Brent's or Cosmo's tutorials. Also I think I saw a tut that Brent gave for free on how to use the serendipity rod you have. I got the same thing, and didn't have a clue till I saw the tut. I don't remember where I saw it, but maybe someone else could point you in the right direction. Have fun.

Old 2010-11-27, 1:14pm

When you're buying color, getting odds can be a pretty good deal. Odds *should* be regular color but in odd sizes. Seconds are even less expensive but they can be off color a little or a lot or have stones...I don't buy them usually. I buy lots of odds and get some skinny rods, tapers, etc. It melts.

ETA: Check out youtube for tons of video on boro.

Old 2010-11-27, 1:48pm
Living out Loud

I like Brent's dvd too and I also like Doug Remscneider's also. I am buying Chad's next.

Old 2010-11-27, 3:22pm
Pyromaniac

I'd say Brent's first DVD is an awesome introduction on how to work striking boro color and make some cool pendants. That+the colors he lists are enough for a good start while avoiding some of the pickier boro colors which might discourage you at first.

The colors listed here by others look great with one exception - I'd suggest avoiding sparkle colors like unobtanium and also stay away from "crayon" colors - anything cadmium based (WYSIWYG reds, yellows, oranges etc.) for now.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-11-27, 4:26pm
Life is good

Hey,
I found the link to How to use the Serendipity.
http://www.glassblowingtv.com/media/...ity_boro_cane/

Old 2010-11-27, 4:34pm
Critter Mom

All this info is great but I feel like I'm starting all over again...kinda makin' me nervous.

My brother's step-grand-daughter loves the little boro mushroom pendants that I made in my very first flameworking class (before I discovered soft glass). So I figured I'd practice making a few of those and send them to her for Christmas. She's had a pretty rough life thus far (mostly due to her Mom's drug/alcohol problems) so I'd like to send her enough so she could make up a few necklaces for her friends too.

I'm very excited about this. My Cheetah should be getting here on Dec 1st.

Old 2010-11-27, 4:41pm

NS Amber Purple (avoid the Double Amber Purple until you get the regular stuff figured out.)

GA Silver Strike 3

NS Star White or Egyptian White Sands

NS Blue Moon

GA Cobalt 5 or NS Turbo Cobalt

NS Jet Black

TAG Red Elvis

GA Peacock Chamleon

As far as frit goes, stay away from the frit mixes for now. Try a few different frits in a couple different sizes (small, medium, and large) as they will all look very different when used. Also some clear frit in small, medium, and large would be a good idea as well.

Lable your rods and frit when you get them, and keep notes of which ones you used and what the results were at first. It is a pain, but you will learn a lot quicker and have a better chance of being able to duplicate a result if you really like it. It is a bummer to pull something AWESOME out of your kiln and realize that you aren't really sure which colors you used, in which order, etc.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-11-27, 5:27pm

Bonnie,

I short while back Sunray (Trev's Glass) was offering a starter kit of what Brent's first DVDs uses for supplies available in one nice tidy package. You might want to shoot her a PM.

Shorts are also a great way to play and explore. I started out with some clear and a sample pack of Momka's solid colors in 5" sticks.

Have a blast!!

Old 2010-11-27, 9:49pm
He can do the origami

Sent you a PM Bonnie
Old 2010-11-28, 7:54am
boro color bender

http://www.brentgraber.com/pages/VIDEOLIBRARY.php

here's a link to my free vids... Serendipity is in this group too... I hope to add some more after the holidays.

Old 2010-11-28, 3:16pm
Critter Mom

Excellent Brent, thank you...I'll check out your link once I get caught up a little. Gotta get a couple cats, Christmas trees and snowmen done.

Laura I was kinda thinking about getting the short package from Northstar.

However...I just realized something...I'm gonna need new glasses I was doin' something on the computer last night and all the sudden I remembered that boro takes a different lens than soft glass. I think a good amount of my $ is gonna have to go to that...so now I'm trying to decide shade 3 or 5.

I think shade 3 would do since I'm primarily a soft glass worker and not doing boro full time (at least right now).

Old 2010-11-28, 4:47pm

Shade 3 will be fine. I use a pair of shade 3's with my didys clipped on them and it seems to do the trick.

Angela Kane

Old 2010-11-28, 10:51pm

Get shade 5. Boro is way brighter than you think. It's not only the visible light that does the damage to your eyes.

Old 2010-11-29, 1:00am
Critter Mom

Well I would prefer not to have fried eyeballs...I know what that feels like. In the class I took people like myself that wore glasses put their boro glasses on first, then put their regular glass over that...was kinda odd to me, but it did seem to work. Usually I wear my regular reading glasses, then I add a magnetic clip-on magnifying set...so I think this is gonna get kinda heavy. I may have to look into getting an Rx for the boro lenses later.

Old 2010-11-29, 5:37am
Pyromaniac

Shade 3's are good for light work, but 5's are definitely called for when you start getting color really hot. Perhaps a pair of split-lens glasses is the way to go. Given the weight of permanent boro lenses, however, I'd recommend you go prescription from the start.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-12-03, 9:19pm
Critter Mom

I think I'm gonna go with a bench mounted shield, that way if my Rx changes next year I wont have to buy another pair of boro glasses. I've got a few sticks of boro coming...my new (used) Cheetah arrived...now I've just gotta get the eye protection and some quick-connects. My husband's been sick the past week or he'd have gotten right on those quick-connects, he enjoys setting my equipment up for me but then he gets antsy and wants me to try it out right away.

Old 2010-12-04, 8:19am

Bonnie I just went and snooped on your web site at your fabulous glass sculpture. You are amazing.
Old 2010-12-04, 9:45am
Critter Mom

Thanks Deb, I'm glad you like my cartoonie critters.