LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-07-04, 6:38pm

Default Propane outside, dangerous?

We had to file a claim with the insurance company for a new roof. Hail damage and leaking. Well, apparently they don't like that. Now that we have a new roof, the insurance people have come around taking pictures of our house and things they think we need to fix. (Nothing they will pay for).

While we were on vacation, they took a picture of the propane tank and said it is a fire hazard. It was unhooked and sitting on the concrete porch 2 feet from the house. Unfortunately, it was next to the window and you can see the torch.

Can the insurance company make me stop torching in the house?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Laurie Lee Breeden
Old 2007-07-04, 6:43pm

They can't make you stop, but they can refuse to pay any claim. And if you sell your work, they can really put 'the end' to any claims because they aren't insuring a business.
Old 2007-07-04, 7:12pm
Lampwork Meditator

How would this affect propane tanks used with your barbecue grill? Are they also fire hazards? I get the need to not have propane stored in your garage/indoors. But not sure how it should be handled outdoors...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carlisle mini cc with concentrator
Old 2007-07-05, 6:12am

You need to get a new insurance company right now. They're looking for a way to get rid of you/drop you. Really.

One day you're going to come home to a letter stating that your insurance has been canceled due to BS reasoning.

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-07-05, 7:02am
The Andrea Half

I'd have to agree with Taramag. While you're shopping for a new insurance company, ask them about their regulations for outdoor propane barbecue grill storage (NOT mentioning the torch!) BEFORE you sign. I wouldn't ask about it as the only question, either--I'd ask them about a whole raft of hypothetical issues that cover both what they would do for you and what they would expect you as a concerned, responsible homeowner to do. How do they handle downed trees? (if your property or your neighbor's has tall trees)? How do they best recommend you maintain your furnace? Etc. The goal is to come across as a responsible type making sure from the get-go that you are taking all appropriate precautions (and THEN if they say something is agains ttheir policies, and you've already asked about their best practices, you have them!!!)

Old 2007-07-05, 4:37pm

Thanks guys. It just really pisses me off that they think they can bully me. I hate insurance!

Laurie Lee Breeden
Old 2007-07-14, 8:16am

Well, I ignored the insurance company and continued to torch. They called my husband yesterday and told him that the propane tank is still too close to the house and what are we going to do about it.
I swear, I will put it inside before I set them stop me from torching!

Laurie Lee Breeden
Old 2007-07-14, 8:40am

Laurie,
Is there a place further away from the house where you could store the tank when you're not torching and then dissconnect and move it at the end of each session. Have they told you how far away from the house it needs to be? Maybe you could move it and use a longer hose?
Old 2007-07-17, 1:10pm

Do you have a BBQ?
If you do, put it *under* the BBQ, where it would normally belong, just don't attach it. They're likely looking at it as "odd" because it's just a lonely tank--attached to nothing. (as in, open the valve & light a match & it's a fire-ball--I mean, really, what *else* could it be for if it's not *next to* something to use it with?? To anyone but a lampworker, it doesn't make any *sense* to have it just sitting by the house like that!!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-07-18, 10:48am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Do you have a BBQ?
If you do, put it *under* the BBQ, where it would normally belong, just don't attach it. They're likely looking at it as "odd" because it's just a lonely tank--attached to nothing. (as in, open the valve & light a match & it's a fire-ball--I mean, really, what *else* could it be for if it's not *next to* something to use it with?? To anyone but a lampworker, it doesn't make any *sense* to have it just sitting by the house like that!!)
Actually there is no "open the valve & light a match & it's a fire-ball"....

New OPD valve have a safety aspect that IF there is NO properly designed (CGA 510 style) fitting screwed into outlet connection it WILL NOT release any gas...

You can open valve all you want and light as many matches as you want (figurative speaking ) and noting will happen...

What proof, next time you have a tank that is disconnected and just sitting there, open the valve .... NOTHING.... IF it does leak gas out take it back to supplier immediately because it is DEFECTIVE...

The only real danger is from tank if it is close to a burning structure (house fire) then the tank safety valve may blow off pressure and release large quantity of fuel... IF it is in the presence of flames, it is a problem as it will "fuel the fire" it may also be a hazard to fire fighters who may be trying to stop the fire if they are not aware of it being in area....

Yes store it away from house when not in use.... Not because of insurance company, but because you dont what to get hurt...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-07-18 at 11:04am.
Old 2007-07-18, 11:54am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

It has to be 20 ft away from the house here in Colorado. Since I can't imagine bleeding a 20 foot hose, I use it close to the house and, when I'm done, it gets disconnected and then I just put it under the BBQ every day. Of course the BBQ is right on our back deck - no where near 20 feet away but they don't seem to care if it goes with the BBQ. Weird.

Old 2007-07-18, 10:30pm

I know it's not actually explosive with a match Dale--it was more of a "not attached it looks "weird" statement. Like Amber said--no one seems to "notice" them when they're under the BBQ--it's standing *alone* that they seem to have an issue with them (like, it's ok to have a dozen or more in a locked cage at a business, right beside the building, but you can't put one "loose" on the porch--of the *same* business because "that's unsafe"...'cause it's "explosive"--the actual *chance* of it exploding is really about the same.) I'm betting if you asked most insurance *writers* (not adjusters) about the tanks--they have no *clue* how they really work--much like they don't know how a Oxy tank, or a Helium tank, or any *other* pressurized tank works either!
(I had one store inspector try to tell me that our helium tanks needed their own automatic fire suppression system installed above them because they were "highly flammable" -- not a fire dept. inspector--a mall inspector person when the mall changed hands--when I worked for a candy store--I had to explain the whole "why we chain the tanks" & "no it's not *really* a fire hazard & why" to them & then get paperwork from the fire dept to "prove it" (even though the fire dept signed off on us once a year anyway!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-07-18, 10:46pm

thats interesting dale. I'm gonna open my propane valve and see if nothing happens.

Thats so cool they put protection in like that. So the propane will only come out if I got the right connection made?
Old 2007-07-19, 8:23am

My brother in law is an insurance underwriter. I'm going to ask him about it.
I called my insurance co to see how far away it had to be, but she is on vacation now.

Laurie Lee Breeden
Old 2007-07-19, 8:31am
Gentleman of Leisure

lunamoonshadow ... Very valid points all around........ And I'll bet most places that have the caged tanks for exchange have never even considered the safety implications and never hears a whimper from insurance companies...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-07-19 at 8:33am.
Old 2007-07-19, 8:36am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokersdesign View Post
thats interesting dale. I'm gonna open my propane valve and see if nothing happens.

Thats so cool they put protection in like that. So the propane will only come out if I got the right connection made?
That is correct and if your connector is not completely seated (tight), it may not open interconnect safety valve and that may be some causes of no gas flow mysteries...

Dale