Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-04, 8:17am

Default ELO Help

I had bought a batch months ago and it was a nice ivory color when worked.

I got another 5 lbs and it works up a darker sort of taupe color and while hot it sort of looks metalic.

Anyone experience the same?

Now I'm thinking there are pale ELO and reg ELO

Which should I get to have the lt. Ivory color?
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-04, 8:39am
Sheila Davis Designs

As far as I know there is only one ELO.Culd be a different batch.I tested this glass for Mike when it first cam eout and it was more Ivory with a hint of green.

Old 2011-04-04, 8:52am

Thanks
Thats what I had the first time.

Old 2011-04-04, 9:13am
sunscreen me baby

I just got more as well as an odd version of it. I'll go test the two I got for you and be back in a bit.

~

Old 2011-04-04, 9:37am
sunscreen me baby

The ELO pale is what you want. The ELO came out a pale taupe color with cocoa sort of streaks. It did look metalic when I was working it. The ELO Pale came out the pale, pale green with a couple of specks like what I had before as just ELO.

~

Old 2011-04-04, 9:39am

Thank You so Much!!!

Old 2011-04-04, 9:43am
sunscreen me baby

You are welcome. I awfully glad I got the odd pale version because that is what I really wanted. I'm going to have to mess around with the other to see if it deepens when worked a while. It's a nice shade of taupe, not too gray.

~

Old 2011-04-04, 9:49am

I was kinda excited about the new effects but I have beads that needed to be made of course out of the ivory colored one.
I can't wait to get time to play with the new ELO I got.
Thanks again

Old 2011-04-04, 10:39am
Ad astra per aspera

What the heck is ELO? And will I be compelled to hum ELO tunes whenever I use it?

Old 2011-04-04, 10:42am
Resident hippie

That was my thought too Karen. The problem is - I know that I know what it is and I just can't remember.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-04-04, 10:42am
sunscreen me baby

Extra Light Olive

~

Old 2011-04-04, 10:44am
Disconnected

If I remember correctly, ELO was a Vetrofond attempt for Ivory that failed, and turned up a really nice "Extremely Light Olive".

I like it a lot!

Old 2011-04-04, 11:39am

Suzy
The beads I just took out of the kiln are a very nice taupe.
I'll have to make a plain bead so I can see if it is consistant color over the whole bead.
Pretty color tho

Old 2011-04-04, 12:00pm
sunscreen me baby

Oh good to hear. I think it will be a lovely base color for florals.

~

Old 2011-04-04, 12:11pm
Live and Let Live

Thanks for the analysis, Suzy. I just sent a request to change my order from ELO to ELO Pale, as I want the one that is like the original batch.

(Is it just me that wonders why they'd give the one closer to the original a NEW name / # and put the taupe version under the original ELO name?)

Old 2011-04-04, 12:13pm
sunscreen me baby

I don't know. Did you mention it when you changed your order?

~

Old 2011-04-04, 12:18pm
sunscreen me baby

The original ELO rods were rough textured and the same color as the new ELO. But the new ELO is a smooth rod. While the ELO-P is more of a cream rod with the faintest hint of green in the rod and smooth as well.

~

Old 2011-04-04, 1:24pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I don't know. Did you mention it when you changed your order?
No... didn't want to confuse matters with a sales person.

Old 2011-04-04, 1:31pm
Sheila Davis Designs

The one I have must be ELO-P.It's smooth and well...pale.

Old 2011-04-04, 6:42pm
Disconnected

Well I just melted some of the ELO I got back in december, and sure enough it's a totally different glass that the original. This one is exactly the same glass as Biscotti or Mauvelous, a whispy ivory with very faint pinkish streaks and reduces around the holes like a dark purple would. Lovely, just not the ELO I wanted and too late to send it back.