Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-07-09, 7:01pm
Following my Dream

Red face Bernzomatic

I really feel stupid asking this question, but the man at the welding store told hubby that the Bernzomatic torch would be fine for a bead making torch. He bought me the torch and I've used it. I want a starter kit from the Hobby Lobby store by us but the torch in it is Fireworks brand and I haven't found anything to say if that is good or bad. The torch hubby bought looks like the pictures of the Hothead,but cheaper ?
I don't know what I'd do without y'all, helping me along.
Thank you...Thank you...Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-09, 7:17pm
AKA Vanna

Hello Lady Crow! Welcome to LE!!

Nope, a berzomatic won't work. It burns way to dirty for one thing and I am sure that there are lots of other reasons why it's a no go. When I first started forever ago...My Husband tried making a bead on his brazing torch and turned white glass into coal black. LOL!!

Go for a Hot Head or a Fireworks. The main difference between these two is the Fireworks isn't as loud...but they are both pretty loud.

Any other opinions from anyone else?

Kim's Klub
. Come on, you know you wanna!!

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2006-07-09, 11:20pm
Missing presumed fed

The Fireworks has a self-igniter that I think breaks pretty much immediately. Doesn't mean you can't light it with a match or a striker after it breaks, though. From what I've read on the board, people seem to be happier with the Hot Head in the long run.

Nobody's happy using a Bernzomatic. There's a reason Cindy Jenkins invented the HotHead! (And as Kim said, it's because Bernzomatics turn your glass black.)
Old 2006-07-10, 12:25am
sorcerer

I use a number of glass torches in my studio, mainly dual fuel, however I have helped a lot of people set up their hot heads and shown them how to adjust to get a clean burn. I have several propane only torches in the studio that I use for silver work, both welding and casting of silver, all these torches melt glass faster, quieter and cleaner than a 'hot head' . it is just a matter of setting the gas air ratios, some times you need to alter the torch slightly to alow it to suck more air. You can use just about anything, if you have plenty of time, it is just a matter of setting the torch to burn cleanly.
Bernard
Old 2006-07-10, 5:54am
The 2 Michelle's

The most important lesson to be learned here is that the men at the welding shop have no idea how to make beads!! I can't tell you how many pieces of crappy advice I have received from them and the guy at napa where I was buying my Mapp gas. God love em for wanting to be able to tell us girlies where we are going wrong! The napa guy kept telling me week after week that I wanted propane not Mapp. I just kept ignoring him.

I have a Hothead torch here and some leftover Mapp gas if you want to try one out. I haven't ever used the fireworks brand so I don't know if there is much difference.

BTW, do you do any metalsmithing? Really any kind of jewelry making. We have a chapter of the Florida Society of Goldsmiths in Pensacola. It's an incredibly active group with lots of jewelry making classes.

Old 2006-07-10, 9:14am
Striking-impared...

I'd go with the HotHead. I've used both the HH and the Fireworks and the HH is hotter -- no question about it.

Old 2006-07-10, 9:15am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway
I have several propane only torches in the studio that I use for silver work, both welding and casting of silver, all these torches melt glass faster, quieter and cleaner than a 'hot head' .
Bernard
Care to share information about "these" torches... Seem they be the magic fuel/air torch everybody is looking for...

Also can you describe your "dual fuel" torches.... I have never seen one for hot glass work...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-07-10, 9:23am
Gentleman of Leisure

And interesting read... Written before WC and I parted our ways....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/10237/200/

Goes back to time when I was just a beginner....

Dale

Old 2006-07-10, 11:38pm
sorcerer

Sorry about the confusing term Dale, "Dual Fuel" is an expression that has become common usage here for the Gas Oxy torches, not some strange new devise. The burners I use for metalwork are all made by Primus and are just a simple propane burner which connects straight to the bottle the same way as the 'Hot Head' does. all you need to do is slightly enlarge the holes that draw in the air and you have a torch that burns nearly neutral, which after all is what the 'Hot Head ' is attempting to do.
Bernard
Old 2006-07-11, 9:07am
Gentleman of Leisure

Aaaah.... I would like to strangle the person who used the term "dual fuel" first... Its been a constant source of confusion since it first appeared....

Dale

Old 2006-07-11, 5:49pm
Following my Dream

I knew I came to the right place!!! Thank you all so very much for all the help and for the laughs! Dale, are we twins seperated at birth? I read your story and lmao. I think I did the very same things, bought wrong torch, irritated the forum gurus,ect. I was just a tiny bit faster in asking, for I haven't wasted too much money thus far. If I don't know something I can't help but ask(its a compulsion).
mcmcilwain, I wish you were on this side of the bridge, I am petrified of driving over them, so I avoid the wonderful islands as much as possible. I know it is crazy all these bridges here and all. I would love to talk to you. Surprisingly,I've never done any metalsmith work(I do all sorts of craft) but I did do some beaded jewelry when I lived in North Carolina. It was mostly working with seed beads (before my eyes started getting old).
Anyway, so you all know, I did buy the Fireworks starter kit and I managed to talk hubby into a tank of the MAPP gas(even though he got a deal on the little propane tanks,maybe he will take kids camping). Now how to get the Kiln...hmmm

My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...