LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2005-09-16, 9:25am

Default Silver Core Bead Tutorial

Hi All - 1st post in this forum. I've posted this in a couple of others. Putting a silver core in a bead is one of those topics that comes up periodically. I've had tried this several times and recently was in a class with Tink (www.blackswampglassworks.com) and she demo'ed the process. Since then I havent broken a single bead, with the exception of one that I dropped! I put together a short (25 min) video that shows how to do this. If your interested drop by and take a look.. If you have any feedback please drop a note!

- Evan

Silver Core Bead Tutorial
Old 2005-09-16, 9:40am

That is a great tutorial. If video is going to become the new prefered method of making tutorials understanding will be much clearer for me at least.

A.
Old 2005-09-16, 10:02pm

Thank you very much for that Evan, I have the instructions in word form but I could not quite visualise the idea, your video has made it as clear as water and I am now wanting to run to the shops and get some dapping punches and put cores into all of my beads that I still have to make to suit the purpose......LOL...you make it look easy. Best wishes MaryAnne
Old 2005-09-17, 12:38am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Evan I love your tutorial!! SInce I am dutch, I have no clue what a dapping tool or a rivet was, thanks to you I can now order my stuff to get started.
May I ask what size tubing you use, since there are so many I have no clue wich one to choose

Thanks!
Suzanne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-09-17, 5:32am

Evan , I downloaded the video and it is great. Now the rest of the family understands what I want to try. Seeing someone demo is a great teaching platform . Thank you very much for the time and work you put into the video. Now to get tubing ordered, I have all the tools. Thank you one more time,Gayle
Old 2005-09-17, 7:22am

Evan,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! That tutorial is wonderful! Thanks for much for taking the time to video the process and sharing it with us! Looking forward for more to come!

Susan
www.sknstudios.com
Old 2005-09-17, 3:31pm
Capp'in Fool

A big Thank you Evan for taking the time to do this.Can't hardly wait to try this.
Ronnie Renee
Old 2005-09-17, 6:17pm
Give to receive...simple.

Thank you from me as well. Much, much , much appreciated. Thank you so much for caring enough to share and for taking the time to make a tutorial that is so easy to understand!!
~Adriana
Old 2005-09-17, 6:24pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Wow, Evan! I can't find the words so I'll just say -- THANK YOU

Old 2005-09-18, 6:05am
Senior Moment

Evan, that was a fantastic tut. Thank you very much. I would like to know what gauge ss tubing you use.
Old 2005-09-18, 9:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Abood
Evan, that was a fantastic tut. Thank you very much. I would like to know what gauge ss tubing you use.
Sharon -

The tubing used in the video was 1/2" diameter from Rio Grande. The bead was formed on a 3/8" mandrel and then ground out to fit the tubing exactly. This is important and you can't skip that step!

Hope that helps!

- Evan
Old 2005-09-18, 11:53am
Pink-tini anyone?

Evan thanks so much for a fantastic tutorial!! I've always wondered how that was done and thanks for sharing!

Old 2005-09-18, 3:13pm
Booyarashaka

Curious to know Evan who else might carry the tubing that you use ? Thnx much for the awesome video ... was just talking to my wife a week ago I would love to take a class to really "get" it ..... Thank you for that class friend ... You RocK!!!

"Temet Nosce"

Old 2005-09-18, 5:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflameart
Curious to know Evan who else might carry the tubing that you use ? Thnx much for the awesome video ... was just talking to my wife a week ago I would love to take a class to really "get" it ..... Thank you for that class friend ... You RocK!!!
Thanks for the kind words! - I've bought sterling tubing from Rio Grande (www.riogrande.com) or from Metalliferous (www.metalliferous.com). There are many other suppliers but those are the ones I use most often. Rio is more suited to purchasing from their catalog, Metalliferous more suited to the web. Neither are really web business at this time though. Call Rio and ask for their Gems and Findings catalog, that's where you'll find the silver tubing.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

BTW - stay tuned - I have the next tutorial about 1/2 filmed and ideas for 6 or 7 more beyond that. Eventually I'll have a high resolution DVD complilation available for sale.

- Evan
Old 2005-09-18, 5:44pm
Booyarashaka

And I would be the first in line to get the CD Evan ... thnx much for the contacts and can't wait to see what ya do next!

"Temet Nosce"

Old 2005-09-20, 10:09pm

Default Thanks for the tutorial!!!

Evan,
A visual is everything, to a visual type learner. I can read and read instructions, but it is so great to SEE the process done! So, now I will go and buy the dapping tools and tube cutter I've been procrastinating about buying, and finally give this a try. I have two-thirds of the equipment, now will go the whole way! Great video. Thanks for sharing!

Chris
Old 2005-09-21, 11:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxglass
Evan,
A visual is everything, to a visual type learner. I can read and read instructions, but it is so great to SEE the process done! So, now I will go and buy the dapping tools and tube cutter I've been procrastinating about buying, and finally give this a try. I have two-thirds of the equipment, now will go the whole way! Great video. Thanks for sharing!

Chris
Chris -

Glad you enjoyed it! Don't forget to share and take some pictures of what you create!

Stay tuned.. just finished filming tutorial #2, now it needs some editing....

Ev
Old 2005-10-10, 9:49am

Default Last few days!

For those that are interested... The silver core tutorial is in it's last few days! I'm ready to post the new tutorial, and need to make some server space. (Nothing eats space faster than video!)

If your interested, here is the link again:

Link --> Silver Core Tutorial

Evan
Old 2005-10-10, 1:23pm

Wow, that video was fantastic! I was interested in how this was done, but could never understand the written tutorials that have been offered. Now I understand! Thanks so much for sharing this!

Debbie
Old 2005-10-10, 3:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieSue
Wow, that video was fantastic! I was interested in how this was done, but could never understand the written tutorials that have been offered. Now I understand! Thanks so much for sharing this!

Debbie
Debbie -

Your most welcome - It's kind of fun to put these together... stretches your thinking a little bit on how to convey as much info as possible as quickly as possible! Stay tuned, the next one will be posted by the weekend!

- Evan
Old 2005-10-11, 7:08pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to make this wonderful tutorial!
I'll be watching for dapping tools, tubing & a pipe cutter!
Old 2005-10-13, 4:21pm
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

I just want to cry. I have tried several times to download, and no luck. opened the tab in windows player as instructed. Nix is happening. What else can I do.
Hopeless with computers Running windows XP can anyone help me please
Katja
Old 2005-10-13, 4:23pm
Booyarashaka

With Evans permission I would be glad to burn it onto CD and mail it ? I got it right here on the ole' harddrive ..... Better ask for permission first ....

"Temet Nosce"

Old 2005-10-13, 4:29pm
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Gee I'd give you and Evan my only firstborn. Can we deal?
I would be forever grateful if it could be done that way. I had emailed Evan way back and told him about my dilemma, and he stated I was the only one of 2 that couldnt get it to play.
Thank you Chad and I guess if it's ok I'd pm you later.

Katja
Old 2005-10-13, 6:44pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Hey Katja, I have tried for days to get it to work with no luck. I am also running XP. I have not had problems running them before but this one just won't. So put me down as one of 3.

Tracy
Old 2005-10-14, 11:33am
Ghost Town Glass

Wow, what an amazing video! My dh has been asking about how to make a silver core, and I couldn't really explain it, only having seen the finished product. Thank you so much, and I can't wait for more!!!!

My brother's name is Evan, and I have not seen many around, so Hi!

Last edited by Janine; 2005-10-14 at 11:35am.
Old 2005-10-14, 10:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine
Wow, what an amazing video! My dh has been asking about how to make a silver core, and I couldn't really explain it, only having seen the finished product. Thank you so much, and I can't wait for more!!!!

My brother's name is Evan, and I have not seen many around, so Hi!

Janine -

Thanks much! Glad you enjoyed! The new one is going up tomorrow afternoon. Stay tuned. Would love some feedback on that one as well!

Evan
Old 2005-10-14, 10:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutti-frutti
Gee I'd give you and Evan my only firstborn. Can we deal?
I would be forever grateful if it could be done that way. I had emailed Evan way back and told him about my dilemma, and he stated I was the only one of 2 that couldnt get it to play.
Thank you Chad and I guess if it's ok I'd pm you later.

Katja
No problem you have permission to burn it so long as it does not get re-sold. If you would like the high resolution version on DVD, take a look in the tools and accessories gallery on our webpage. Same DVD, but full screen higher resolution.

Drop me an email if you have any questions!

Email: Evan's Contact Email

By the way tune in tomorrow afternoon for the next video. This one is posted in a different format to try to increase compatibility. You will need the latest free flash video player from Macromedia (If you don't have it installed the web page will ask you if you want to download it automatically) With this player there should be much greater compatibility going forward. Once you have loaded the free player, make sure you close all browser windows and then reopen them before trying to view the tutorial. The new tutorial will be on Making and Anodizing your own beadcaps. It will be in the same location www.dawnandevan.com/tutorials.htm

Enjoy!

Evan
Old 2005-10-15, 10:23am

Default Thanks. Peg M

Just watched your great tutorial. It was fun to watch. You did a nice job. Had a some lesson in silversmithing awhile back and Vickie and I are getting into it again. Many thanks, Peg M
Old 2005-10-15, 10:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg Medill
Just watched your great tutorial. It was fun to watch. You did a nice job. Had a some lesson in silversmithing awhile back and Vickie and I are getting into it again. Many thanks, Peg M
Peg - Thanks much. Since you have an interest in silversmithing, make sure you tune in later today (saturday) the next tutorial might be right up your alley as well - Making and Anodizing Niobium Beadcaps.

Evan