Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-10-13, 8:18am

Default NEW GLASS COMPANY!!!! Wahoo!!!

I posted some S&T last night and WOW....have had so many PM's about who this glass company is (and since LE is more forgiving than WC) I thought I would post it in an open forum. Hope I don't get pulled...
www.pi-glass.com

Elisha will take your order. They have a sample pack with many more colors than their website shows. And their service was lightning fast! I ordered and had my glass in hand the next day!!

96 COE and their colors are like none I have seen elsewhere. A little stiff to work so there will be a learning curve. But it is more forgiving than 104. Not as shocky.

Maybe I should post this in the technical forum also... hmm....

I don't know these guys, not related in anyway, but just want to share a great glass find to all my lampworking friends...
Old 2005-10-13, 8:49am
boro color bender

Thanks for sharing and it won't get pulled here. Boy, you guys are gun shy- LOL

I haven't worked with it, but want to. Have heard a ton of good things about this glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-10-13, 8:53am
Word to your mother

Holy moley....look at the colors http://www.pi-glass.com/html/allcolors.html

Old 2005-10-13, 9:01am
Sorry for party rockin'

Oooooooh - - - Bengal, Butternut and Transylvania are delicious Oh and Persimmon!!

Question since I can't find it - - -can I stick 96 COE in my kiln at the same temperature that I do w/ moretti?? I think my kiln is set at 960.

Old 2005-10-13, 9:07am

Nice! I like the greens especially, and the blackberry. I'll definitely look into this when they start to widen their palette. Love the website!

Old 2005-10-13, 9:09am

I have always used the same annealing schedule but maybe someone else could chime in here with more technical info.....
Old 2005-10-13, 9:12am
Word to your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice
Nice! I like the greens especially, and the blackberry. I'll definitely look into this when they start to widen their palette. Love the website!

Yea, I noticed they were low on the pinks...but I'm a blue-aholic and Fossil speaks to me.

Old 2005-10-13, 9:13am
JOAT, Master of None

beautiful colors!
Old 2005-10-13, 9:18am

Yeah baby, more ass. Oops, more glass
Old 2005-10-13, 10:00am
><>

Pi is the same as Uroborus? That's not my understanding. Please clarify and inform me, anyone.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2005-10-13, 11:17am

Pi is not the same as Urorobos...

Marjorie
Old 2005-10-13, 11:18am
><>

That's what I thought. Thanks.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
Old 2005-10-13, 11:22am
needs to light the torch.

I bought a sample pack at the Gathering... I have not used it yet.
The company is based in Seattle but the glass is made in China.
The fact that it is manufactured in China makes me not very interested in using it...

Brad Pierson has done color testing for them.

Here are other threads on pi-glass:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=glass+china

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=glass+china

Old 2005-10-13, 11:27am
Detail G-Mama!

I bought a sample pack at the Gathering also! I've made 2 spacers so far and they did fine with annealing at 960 degrees. They told me that it would do fine at that temp! I also talked to them about getting more pinks and purples and they are working on it!!

Old 2005-10-13, 11:35am
Detail G-Mama!

Old 2005-10-13, 11:38am
Detail G-Mama!

Old 2005-10-13, 11:42am
><>

You have glass and Salmon fishing and beautiful scenery, the best backroads and produce stands anywhere, hotsprings, the Columbia river , OHHHH the coast , and I'm making myself sick. I have region envy. Stop it now.Please.

Last edited by jhana; 2005-10-13 at 11:44am. Reason: add
Old 2005-10-13, 11:45am
><>

That never bothered me. Ummm, can we all say branching? tangential? hijack?
Old 2005-10-13, 11:55am
Word to your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
I would be very interested to know where you obtained this information. I will be asking Pi glass directly when I go vist them next week. Also, for future reference, the correct spelling is "Uroboros". Only one "u".

OK, so as a newbie I am really confused. Should we be buying glass that is only made in Italy or here? If something is made in China is it automatically bad? What's the scoop on Pi...their website is great, and the colors seem really good too (I'm a blue fanantic). Do companies like Jodel and Howaco distribute Chinese made glass? Should I care? So many questions.....

Old 2005-10-13, 12:22pm
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly

You know where this is headed, don't you???
Yeah but I was gonna be nice!!! ROFL!!

Old 2005-10-13, 12:44pm
sunscreen me baby

That is the best looking color chart I have ever seen! The names are fun. They show you the color in a rod and in a bead. Love it! Now I want to try it.

~

Old 2005-10-13, 12:52pm
needs to light the torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadstillmyheart
OK, so as a newbie I am really confused. Should we be buying glass that is only made in Italy or here? If something is made in China is it automatically bad? What's the scoop on Pi...their website is great, and the colors seem really good too (I'm a blue fanantic). Do companies like Jodel and Howaco distribute Chinese made glass? Should I care? So many questions.....
Kendra, I have issues with China, that is why I do not think I will be buying any more of this glass...
I do own things made in China, unfortunately sometimes there is not a choice like with Lark Books.
If there is a choice on where to spend my money, and with glass there is, I will choose to spend my money elsewhere.
This is my personal choice, nothing more...

Old 2005-10-13, 12:58pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Holy Moly!!!!!!!!!!! Woo, see those colors??? Too Hot!!!!!!!

Sara

Old 2005-10-13, 1:11pm
Word to your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by isle-of-cats
Kendra, I have issues with China, that is why I do not think I will be buying any more of this glass...
I do own things made in China, unfortunately sometimes there is not a choice like with Lark Books.
If there is a choice on where to spend my money, and with glass there is, I will choose to spend my money elsewhere.
This is my personal choice, nothing more...
Fair enough...I just wasn't sure if there were other issues that I wasn't aware of...like Chinese glass technical problems or whatever. I had no idea that ANY glass rods were made in China, thought they were all European made. Shows me what I (think I) know. Thanks.

Old 2005-10-13, 1:15pm
Pink-tini anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteburner
Holy Moly!!!!!!!!!!! Woo, see those colors??? Too Hot!!!!!!!

Sara
oh yeah! Very cool fall colors too!!

Old 2005-10-13, 1:16pm
Resident Luny

Sometimes it's good to just plain buy American, or as local as you can. I'm a big proponent of local buying, less trucks, less planes, less gas, less environmental impact, all while supporting the American worker. So that could be another reason, beyond the issues specifically located in China.

So Kendra, my point is, for some I guess it might be lifestyle/philosophy thing, for others, how they do biz and what they pay, etc. in China. And beyond. =)

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2005-10-13, 1:21pm
><>

For some people the human rights abuses, child labor, total government control thing factors in as well.
Old 2005-10-13, 1:32pm
Word to your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana
For some people the human rights abuses, child labor, total government control thing factors in as well.

RIGHT...I totally understand what you are Lunesse are saying. I guess what was confusing me is that I THOUGHT I was buying european glass and maybe I had been buying Chinese glass. I was hoping to get a better understanding of where the distributors (Frantz, Jodel, Howaco, etc.) get the glass. Had NO CLUE that China was a potential supplier. I really want to be able to say that the glass is Czech or Italian made or whatever with a clear conscience.

Old 2005-10-13, 1:39pm
Detail G-Mama!

Awww Kimberly you know I love ya, flippy guy and all!!

Old 2005-10-13, 1:42pm
Ghost Town Glass

I had no idea that some glass came from China. I assumed it was some variety of European or North American. Thanks for the question, Kendra.