LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-09, 7:44pm

Question What's your favorite Cattwalk tool??

anyone use the ruffler tools? which are your favorites to use.

thanks so much
jeri
Old 2008-08-09, 8:00pm

I like the 1.25" lentil and the extra-wide crunch. I use those all the time. I also have the graduated lentils and tumbled tiles, but I get better results with the larger sizes.
Old 2008-08-10, 7:27am

The crunch press. I use it for EVERYTHING--and I use the top of it as a marver all the time! (it's fab for a hand-held marver for barrels, rounding things out, tapping ends into line, etc.) The brass is great for striking up silver colors & raku too. I use that crunch press for all sorts of stuff, as well as "crunching" beads--even for just shaping semi-flattened focals that aren't really "crunched" it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-08-10, 7:30am
Lover of all things color

I just got two cruches and the holder for them. What I discovered when i tried to use them was that I hold my mandrel in my left hand and to use the crunch I have to put the glass in on the other side of the handle. In other words, backwards. I guess these tools aren't for left handed people.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-08-10, 9:45am

Umm...I'm left handed also. But I hold the mandrel in my right hand, apply glass with the left and have the presses at my right. It works well that way.
Old 2008-08-10, 9:51am

well that's interesting about the crunch~ does anyone have pictures made with the crunch tools?

i am soooo tool channenged it isn't funny, well it is sort of~

how about the textured plates?

thanks so much!!!
Old 2008-08-10, 11:03am
Surrounded by Trouble

My newest favorite Cattwalk tool is the angled marver, it is my right hand.
Seriously I didn't take it out of my right hand for over 30 min when sculpting a piece the other night. That is when I know a tool is really a necessity. It is SHARP, so be careful!
I can now throw away my razor blade exacto knife which I couldn't be more happy about, cause the darn thing keeps coming out in the middle of a bead.
At first I thought, another marver..yeah right just what I need...until I hand this well balanced one in my hand. Nothing I have ever used had an end this sharp, and so many angles, it is many tools in one.
Can you tell I love it? I and cant make a bead or sculpture piece without picking it up.

sorry I didn't mean to sound like an advertisement

Old 2008-08-10, 12:02pm
Rare Florida Native

I recently bought my first Cattwalk tool - the "Tube Shaper" - and I love it!
Soon as I have some spare cash I would like to try a crunch

Old 2008-08-10, 5:05pm
Tonbodama Murrini maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T View Post
My newest favorite Cattwalk tool is the angled marver, it is my right hand.
Seriously I didn't take it out of my right hand for over 30 min when sculpting a piece the other night. That is when I know a tool is really a necessity. It is SHARP, so be careful!
I can now throw away my razor blade exacto knife which I couldn't be more happy about, cause the darn thing keeps coming out in the middle of a bead.
At first I thought, another marver..yeah right just what I need...until I hand this well balanced one in my hand. Nothing I have ever used had an end this sharp, and so many angles, it is many tools in one.
Can you tell I love it? I and cant make a bead or sculpture piece without picking it up.

sorry I didn't mean to sound like an advertisement
how about the other new tools?? They look a lot like th jim moore rib tool.

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2008-08-10, 10:45pm
I need more boro stuff

I love Most of Cattwalk's presses, especially the graduation buttons and dual crunch.

I'm planning to get bigger crunch and tube shaper.

Old 2008-08-11, 9:19am

I just bought the new Grooved Marver but need help with it, anybody out there using it that can help??? Please.
Old 2008-08-11, 10:20am
OY and Psyche Junkie

Hi Carmen,

All you have to do is get the bead hot, but not molten and then roll it along the grooves. After rolling on the grooved marver, roll in enamel and melt that in - that's it!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Last edited by Firebug; 2008-08-12 at 3:16pm.
Old 2008-08-11, 10:25am

which crunch size to buy~ the regular one or one of the deeper ones???

too many choices! thanks to everyone for their input!

cheers
Old 2008-08-11, 10:27am
Pink-tini anyone?

I haven't used the ruffler yet but my favorites are the button, crunch and large lentil!

Old 2008-08-11, 10:28am

Hi Carmen ,

The tutorial still needs to be done for this Marver. Someone who has had this Marver for a few months is PMing you with some hints. I hope this helps.

Catt

Old 2008-08-11, 10:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybeads View Post
which crunch size to buy~ the regular one or one of the deeper ones???

too many choices! thanks to everyone for their input!

cheers
Hi, if you likes smaller beads, the regular crunch will be better, I prefer the wide crunch 3
Old 2008-08-11, 10:32am

I love the tools of Cattwalk.com since the time when I got my first lentil.

My favorite press for freestyle are all the crunches.

Since May, when I was in Hamburg at the Andrea Guarino course I have used the grooved marver of CattWalk, we all worked in the class with this new tool.
Antonie
Old 2008-08-11, 10:50am

Thanks Kathy and Catt. I love your new presses Catt and it looks like the other marver is also a winner.
Old 2008-08-11, 11:14am
Enabler

My favorite Cattwalk tool is whatever one I'm working with at the moment!

I'll second Shawn's endorsement of the angled marver. I'm not sure how I EVER made beads without it.

And those of you who make big beads....you'll definitely want to give one or more of the new sleek pillow focals a try. Fred and Catt really hit a homerun on those!

Old 2008-08-11, 11:41am
Fire Diva

I haven't even heard of the angled marver...but it sure does sound like one I must have!! Maybe when I get a job

I love all of Cattwalk's tools. My favorites tend to be the rectangular pillow, all of the crunches, and the Tabulator.

But I enjoy using all of them!!

Old 2008-08-11, 11:41am
Fire Diva

off to hunt down an angled marver...

Old 2008-08-11, 12:09pm
One Crazy Mama

a sleek pillow focal??? omg i have to get it!!! i love my sleek pillow & my button press... just got the spiral for my bday, looking forward to playing with it

Old 2008-08-11, 3:10pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Ann View Post
I recently bought my first Cattwalk tool - the "Tube Shaper" - and I love it!
Soon as I have some spare cash I would like to try a crunch
I have to agree with this one. I use if for so many round shaped beads including hollows. It really speeds things up so I can have fun finishing off the beads. Ohhhh, and I love the crunch too.

Old 2008-08-11, 3:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
The crunch press. I use it for EVERYTHING--and I use the top of it as a marver all the time! (it's fab for a hand-held marver for barrels, rounding things out, tapping ends into line, etc.) The brass is great for striking up silver colors & raku too. I use that crunch press for all sorts of stuff, as well as "crunching" beads--even for just shaping semi-flattened focals that aren't really "crunched" it!!!
What she said!!!!! I love my crunch and all the others btw but have been using the crunch the mostest...

Old 2008-08-11, 4:16pm
sunscreen me baby

Gosh, I can't decide what would be my favorite. I love all of them. My collection proves it

~

Old 2008-08-11, 8:46pm

My favorite tools are the presses. I love to the graduated daisy, graduated button, marquis and standard crunch.
I want the stubby diamond and focal diamond plus the diagonal tile and sleek pillows look really cool.

Debbie
Old 2008-08-12, 1:22pm
Dangerous Woman

I have the ruffler and I really like it. I don't have the base yet - hopefully I'll be able to get one soon. I also want a crunch. I don't know what size though.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-08-12, 3:27pm

Default Hi Tammy & Leslie

Which size crunch do you have? I'm so confused as to what size to buy. It's hard not being able to see it in person!

pictures anyone??
Old 2008-08-12, 3:44pm

I just got the ruffler and had so much fun with it!
Old 2008-08-12, 3:51pm

Hi Jerrybeads ,

I know it can drive you bonkers sometimes with all the sizes. Making some paper samples might help you better with the size. If you need any help shoot me an email at cattwalktools@aol.com or my number is at the bottom of the website. I'd be glad to help in anyway I can.

Catt