Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-10-09, 8:07pm

Default which program-business cards/earring cards

I want to design and print my own business cards on perforated stock. Which program would be the best one to use. I have the CS3 suite. If I have to I could do it in photoshop, but I am not thinking that PS is the best program to being doing that in.
What CS3 program would be the best?
Is anyone aware of any layout templates that are available?

Thanks
Old 2008-10-10, 2:42am
Pyromaniac

You can do it on Word or Pages (for mac). I think I may have downloaded some templates from Avery online for their perforated cards.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-10, 11:36am

I just opened InDesign, and in the opening dialog box, if you choose "create new from template, Adobe Bridge will open and there is a file called business sets. Open that and there are some templates for business cards.

Good Luck! I'm working on mine too!!

Mary
Old 2008-10-10, 12:31pm

Thanks for the replies.

I wandered around the templates a bit in In Desing, but could only find ones for single cards, that you would take to a printer.

I may just be over thinking it and perhaps I should just use Pages. At least to get a few cranked out.

I will check out InDesign again though and see if I'm just missing something.
Old 2008-10-14, 1:45pm
ManBearPig

Photoshop is not the program to use for something like that. I can't tell you how many business cards, post cards, etc. we get brought in done in Photoshop, only to find out the customer did all that work at the wrong resolution and the file isn't usable. If you have InDesign, you can use that. It's not dependent on resolution, and it's made for just what you want to do (page layout). I'd be glad to set up a template for you if you like. It works fine, and is pretty easy to use once you get used to how it works.

Personally, I use and prefer Quark Xpress (InDesign is Adobe's copy of Quark), but I know a lot of people aren't going to go out and buy a $1000 piece of software if they aren't in the business like I am.

Old 2008-10-14, 9:44pm

I don't plan on sending it to a professional printer, which was why I figured I could use PS if I absolutely had to (comfort level vs. wrong program). I do have InDesign, but haven't used it yet. I'm pretty good with figuring out programs, but needed to know what was the best program to use before I invested time and energy into a template just to find out I used the wrong program. That said a template would be awesome. Cosmo, I'll PM you about the template.
Old 2008-10-22, 1:31pm

I have spent a lot of paper and a lot of time trying to print business cards on perforated stock and I have since given up. I have looked long and hard for a template that I can use in inDesign of Illustrator and I really don't think it exists. I ended up creating a template for myself and I had to ditch the perforated stock paper because I wanted my design to go all the way to the edges of the card and it would never line up perfectly because of the way the paper can shift when its pulled into the printer. If you pm me your email address I will send you the file I use. Its a good starting point.
Old 2008-10-22, 2:07pm
Gone Fishing!

Question

Ok, so do I need a certain type of card stock to make the earring holders? Is there a templeat that I can use?

Does anyone have easy instructions on how to make your own earring cards? Thanks..

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2008-11-11, 8:27am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgiovacchini View Post
I have spent a lot of paper and a lot of time trying to print business cards on perforated stock and I have since given up. I have looked long and hard for a template that I can use in inDesign of Illustrator and I really don't think it exists. I ended up creating a template for myself and I had to ditch the perforated stock paper because I wanted my design to go all the way to the edges of the card and it would never line up perfectly because of the way the paper can shift when its pulled into the printer. If you pm me your email address I will send you the file I use. Its a good starting point.
Don't use the perforated stock. It always looks cheap.

Print them 10 up on 8½ x 11 paper and take them to your local printer and ask them to trim them down for you. Shouldn't cost more than $5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Horse Studio View Post
Ok, so do I need a certain type of card stock to make the earring holders? Is there a templeat that I can use?

Does anyone have easy instructions on how to make your own earring cards? Thanks..
You just need heavier paper. Something like 80-100# should be fine.

Old 2008-11-11, 9:33am
da General

Photoshop is definitely one of the worst programs for layout. InDesign is a layout program and setting up a custom template yourself is fairly easy. I disagree with Cosmo - Quark used to be THE program (I have used it since its inception) but Adobe has passed it years ago with InDesign, which is a much better program for graphic designers like myself. But that's a whole different story.

If you want business cards, Avery has the clean edge business card that is awesome - print 8.5 x 11 and just crack the die-cut lines after.

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Pro...ards_28877.htm

Holly - for earring cards, the thicker the stock, the better but you need to double check your printer manual to see how thick the machine can accommodate without jamming.

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-11-11, 9:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Don't use the perforated stock. It always looks cheap.
I so agree with this!!!!!!

I think I downloaded a free trial version of InDesign when I designed my business cards. Did it, saved it, sent it to the printing place, and voila, got fantastic double sided, full colour (with photo images), glossy business cards for much less than it would have cost me to print them at home (on crack apart or perforated). And they don't look cheap

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2008-11-11, 10:15am
da General

Crack apart doesn't look cheap . . . not if you set your inkjet printer to the highest quality print mode.

|
|
|
|