LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2012-04-10, 7:36pm
Lava Maker

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm just beginning to use Boro and now have a 2nd kiln so I can have different annealing schedules. ABR had a rockin sale of their demo and/or class kilns.

Ann DeHoff
Old 2012-04-13, 10:01am
...displaced ocean lover

Hey, I'm so glad this got bumped so I would see it!!

Hi Ann, in Houston! I'm new to Boro, too! AND in DFW area =D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-04-13, 10:09am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
Yes, used as a base it saves money because it is much cheaper than the color you coat it with.
Also many times it allows the colors to be their best with some light shining through.
Clear used on top of the striking colors in frit, encasement or swirled around in it makes some interesting color changes and variations.
As Tom mentioned some people even mix the more intense colors like Double Amber Purple for example with clear to thin it out.

Here's a couple of examples of the changes you can get with clear:

This one is solid Loki's Lipstick:

This one is a light coat of Loki's over clear:
Holy Freeeeking Cow!!

What a difference! Also, adding Loki's Lipstick to ever lengthening list of must have's! (and at some point I suppose I will need to actually start ordering glass! it's just so hard to whittle down the list! )

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-04-13, 10:18am
Lava Maker

Default Headed to Dallas

Great! I'll be in Dallas the first week of May, with my day job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
Hey, I'm so glad this got bumped so I would see it!!

Hi Ann, in Houston! I'm new to Boro, too! AND in DFW area =D

Ann DeHoff
Old 2012-04-13, 12:34pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Contact me. I'm in the DFW area as well if you want to get together. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehoffa View Post
Great! I'll be in Dallas the first week of May, with my day job.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2012-04-18, 6:19pm

Question from a newbie-is there a better mandrel material for boro than steel? Winding a bead on steel takes forever because of the way you have to heat it, and I'm just not getting the nice shape I want.
Old 2012-04-19, 8:09am

I haven't made allot of beads on the mandrel for the same reason you are talking about. But with that being said I have had better success in using larger diameter that can take the heat more. Boro does not flow as quickly as soft glass but it does flow. If I can give you a tip it would be work at get your base layer perfect as it is hard to get a nice shape if you base is off. In soft glass having the base off didn't seem like such a big deal cause you would just get it hot and it would move in to position, but with boro it seems like you have to get it so hot to move like this that the mandrel want to melt to. Start another thread and post some pics of what you are doing then more people can chime in and help.

Old 2012-04-19, 11:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb tarry View Post
I haven't made allot of beads on the mandrel for the same reason you are talking about. But with that being said I have had better success in using larger diameter that can take the heat more. Boro does not flow as quickly as soft glass but it does flow. If I can give you a tip it would be work at get your base layer perfect as it is hard to get a nice shape if you base is off. In soft glass having the base off didn't seem like such a big deal cause you would just get it hot and it would move in to position, but with boro it seems like you have to get it so hot to move like this that the mandrel want to melt to. Start another thread and post some pics of what you are doing then more people can chime in and help.
Will do! Hoping to hit the shop tomorrow night for some serious work, so I'll start up a thread with pics then. My Ipad can take youtube video. Not the best quality ever, but would it help if people can watch how I'm handling it?
Old 2012-04-19, 5:29pm

Most of us can see just by the finale piece in a still photo, but I would never pass on a video of someone melting glass. Also if you don't shoot through a filter all we would see is a bright yellow flame. Good luck and remember to have fun.

Old 2012-05-14, 7:46pm

Default almost indestructable mandrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcurti View Post
Question from a newbie-is there a better mandrel material for boro than steel? Winding a bead on steel takes forever because of the way you have to heat it, and I'm just not getting the nice shape I want.
Theres a web site that sells almost indestructable mandrels and a thread about same here ....just type "almost indestructable mandrels" in search engine....mind you I have not used them yet myself but do plan to ....heres a link to the site http://www.auralens.net/bs_mandrels.cfm

hope this helps

P.S. I've melted several regular mandrels trying boro and also had same issue because boro does not flow like soft glass so they say try to put it where you want it right away so you dont have to try to get it totally melted and make it flow.
Old 2012-05-14, 7:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcurti View Post
Will do! Hoping to hit the shop tomorrow night for some serious work, so I'll start up a thread with pics then. My Ipad can take youtube video. Not the best quality ever, but would it help if people can watch how I'm handling it?
sorry last link doesnt work just go here for almost indestructable mandrels http://www.auralens.net/
Old 2012-05-15, 6:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliglassguy View Post
sorry last link doesnt work just go here for almost indestructable mandrels http://www.auralens.net/
Wow, just checked these out and bookmarked it. Next time I have some money ... I'm game to try.

Just got the mini mandrel pack from Arrow and let me tell you. The less than 1/16" are really bendy. I'm gonna cut them in half and put them in a pin vise to use to reduce the warpage (I hope).

Hadn't planned to use them with boro ... not I might be able to try little beads in boro. Whooot! Thanks for posting the link.

Last edited by MagpieGlass; 2012-05-15 at 6:33am. Reason: typo
Old 2012-05-15, 7:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
Wow, just checked these out and bookmarked it. Next time I have some money ... I'm game to try.

Just got the mini mandrel pack from Arrow and let me tell you. The less than 1/16" are really bendy. I'm gonna cut them in half and put them in a pin vise to use to reduce the warpage (I hope).

Hadn't planned to use them with boro ... not I might be able to try little beads in boro. Whooot! Thanks for posting the link.
No problem Magpie ....you have some very nice glass pendants on your etsy page by the way

I will likely order some of the almost indestructable mandrels next week when I get paid again.
Old 2012-05-15, 9:49pm

Quote:
No problem Magpie ....you have some very nice glass pendants on your etsy page by the way

I will likely order some of the almost indestructable mandrels next week when I get paid again.
Awe. Thanks for the compliments. They are coming along. Still working out what colors come out the best.

Old 2012-05-21, 7:50am
I'm kinda biz-EE

How did I miss this? Awesome info! Ansley told me about it when I bought some of her boro stuff. Today's a boro play day for me!

Old 2012-05-22, 5:52am

I ordered the manrels too. They came yesterday ... quick shipping. Not sure I'll try them today ... but soon ... very soon!

Old 2012-09-04, 11:45pm
midnight.dreary

This thread is just what I needed. Thank you everyone who contributed

Old 2012-09-22, 2:36pm

Can't wait to make some of this stuff! Thanks guys/gals!

Carlisle on Tanks/Scorpion on Oxy-con
Old 2013-01-01, 3:25pm

Not sure how to bump a thread so I though maybe just posting to it would bump it. For all the boro newbies there are some great free tutorials here
Old 2013-01-01, 7:18pm

Quote:
Not sure how to bump a thread so I though maybe just posting to it would bump it. For all the boro newbies there are some great free tutorials here
yup ... just add a post ... you'll see some that just say

---bump---

Old 2013-04-04, 10:16am

bump
Old 2013-04-24, 12:28pm

Thank everyone. Ive been over at a different forum for a while and miss all the great vibes here.
Darrin
Old 2013-04-25, 3:49pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Welcome back! Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped In Glass View Post
Thank everyone. Ive been over at a different forum for a while and miss all the great vibes here.
Darrin

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2013-06-21, 12:41pm

Just found this thread and am going to bump it. Never tried boro, don't think it will work with my torch. More research needed ......

[url="https://www.instagram.com/nohlineartjewelry/]
Old 2013-06-21, 6:52pm
Evil Glass Enabler

It will work with most torches even a hot head. NLC Beads proved that one. However, it will TAKE FOREVER on a hot head. I've made beads and pieces on a minor. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohline View Post
Just found this thread and am going to bump it. Never tried boro, don't think it will work with my torch. More research needed ......

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Old 2013-06-22, 5:19am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohline View Post
What kind of torch?

Old 2013-06-23, 3:39pm

Nortel Mega Minor; 15 LPM OxyContin, natural gas.

I did type oxycon but this damn auto correct!

[url="https://www.instagram.com/nohlineartjewelry/]
Old 2013-07-14, 3:12am

Hello all!
First post! I will hopefully be able to get some pics of my poor attempts at these tutorials very soon. Thanks to all who shared in this thread!
Old 2013-07-14, 1:38pm

Welcome to LE...

Don't even be concerned about the first few attempts, concentrate on getting the glass hot but not boiling. Learn to get the glass even on the mandrel, spinning the mandrel throughout...
What torch/glass are you starting with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoplasmik View Post
Hello all!
First post! I will hopefully be able to get some pics of my poor attempts at these tutorials very soon. Thanks to all who shared in this thread!

Old 2013-07-20, 7:23am

Hint for making boro beads on mandrel ~ get the tip of the rod really hot before touching down, heat only the glass and not the mandrel. Mandrels tend to burn right thru ~ ask me how I know. Turn the mandrel slower than you do with soft glass ~ it needs time for the heat to sink in. You will get nice even dimpled beads.