Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-09-12, 8:40am

Default Depth

How do you get depth in the dots? When you look into the dot it is sparkly,dichroic? Is there a tutorial?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by glasser; 2014-09-12 at 8:42am.
Old 2014-09-12, 3:35pm

quite new at this but I love to try and "read" a peice! I'll guess a transparent medium blue bead base with irregular opaque light blue or white dots with Dichoric glass rod set on top of dots and melted in. Possibly encased in clear. Am I close?
Old 2014-09-12, 4:24pm

Is there poking involved? Whoops that didn't sound right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-09-12, 9:06pm
Queen of the milo field

Doesn't look poked to me; more like dichro laid on top of the white to sink in to the white. If encased, someone did one heck of a job making it really nice & thin.

dj
Old 2014-09-13, 5:37am

Ok so, white dot, teeny tiny piece of dichro, then blue trans, then melt all in? Am going to play today.

One more question, do you think dichro is on clear or black like the base bead?

Old 2014-09-13, 6:38pm
Super Duper

Bead is not encased. I'd guess dichroic stringer just because that's the easiest way to get sparkle. You can buy them premade or pull it yourself.
Old 2014-09-14, 1:31pm

I think I might have made my dots too big, I couldn't cut the dichro tiny enough either. With the stringer how hard is it to make sure you have it on the glass dichro side down? Am I over thinking this, does it matter? Would hate to have the dichro burn off.

I want to thank ya'll for helping me too.

Old 2014-09-14, 1:34pm
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasser View Post
I think I might have made my dots too big, I couldn't cut the dichro tiny enough either. With the stringer how hard is it to make sure you have it on the glass dichro side down?
Heat up a piece of dichro, cover the coating with a thin layer of clear so it doesn't burn off, then pull. You can pull as is, or kind of mix it up for a slightly different look.

A stringer is probably the easiest way to use dichro since it is very easy to avoid burning it off, and once its covered in clear you are pretty much safe.

Its still possible to burn the dichro when its in stringer form, but you need to get the glass pretty hot to do it.
Old 2014-09-14, 5:21pm

Thank you so much for the information Ryan. Makes sense, I will try that tomorrow.

Old 2014-09-16, 11:00pm
Naysayer

It also looks like silver leaf/foil too...and would be a cheaper way to practice it Although the dots are bigger it still looks good!

I would do, white, blue, dichro/silver, clear
Old 2014-09-16, 11:23pm

Thanks for all your help. I will try the pulling of the dichro and the putting on top of the blue tomorrow. Torch time is limited this week. I swear since I retired I don't have time to do anything!

Old 2014-09-16, 11:28pm
Artistically Absorbed

I was thinking it looks like silver foil too. In my mind I could work out 2 ways this was done. Encasing the silver and using murrini cane to plunge into it leaving the rings and a peekaboo surface, Or maybe using the silver foil square technique Corina shared on her blog. Just my 2 cents.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-09-16, 11:38pm

Ok now your talking about things I know nothing about, (can ya tell, lol) encasing the . silver??? like when you do slivered ivory, only use clear? or blue? Wrap silver onto clear then encase it? Don't understand the murrini part. Oh poop I need lessons.

Old 2014-09-17, 6:24am

You can encase your bead in silver foil. Cut a strip of foil sufficient to cover your base bead and put the strip on a marver. Make your base bead --try it in ivory-- and while the bead is still hot but not moving, roll it in the silver foil. Burnish the foil onto the bead so that the silver is well adhered to the glass. Return the bead to the back of the flame to keep it warm but don't burn off the silver. Take a light colored transparent glass and dot/stripe/swipe over the silver. Melt in or leave the transparent glass raised. The silver should show through the transparent glass. That will give you a look different from the dichroic, but with lots of colorful depth.

Mimi
Old 2014-09-17, 10:11am

taking a break for lunch, I tried making the stringers, and tried using the pre made one, when I am done I will try the silver. Experimenting is FUN! Thanks all for your help!

Old 2014-09-18, 1:39pm
Lifelong Student

I think I know how you can do something similar to the bead you are trying to make. If you go to Corinabeads.com under mini tutorials there is a bead she calls "silver lined dots." I think that technique would give you the effect you are looking for. If you are wanting a flush bead surface don't add the dot of glass (unless you melt it in flat); just plunge the stringer straight into the bead. Also, make sure you use a clear that does not fume with silver foil or you will end up with gold instead of silvery clear.

Sorry about the crappy picture....I used my iPad.

Where you see gold under the transparent dot you would see a silver linning. The clear I used fumed gold. I added a transparent blue on top, but all you would do is gently heat and tap the nub of clear stringer that is left after cutting it.

Try it and see how it works for you
Attached Images

Old 2014-09-18, 7:11pm

just looks like clear encased aventurine dots to me.
Old 2014-09-18, 9:59pm
Lifelong Student

My bead? Or Corina's? There isn't any adventurine in my bead....just silver foil
What I did was: (I'm not sure who figured all this out, but it was not me)
1. Cut up some small squares of silver foil
2. Briefly heat the end of a clear stringer ( that won't fume with silver)
3. Touch the warm stringer to a foil square so it will attach itself
4. Holding the stringer parallel to the flame (not in the flame) allow the excess foil on the stringer to melt to the edges of the stringer; prepare as many stringers as you will need for your bead; set aside
5. Make your base bead. I think the effect is better on a darker base color
6. Add raised dots to bead wherever you will be applying the silver foil; press lightly and secure dots (I won't do step #6 next time I make this bead)
7. Heat spot and do a shallow plunge with stringer, foil side toward bead; allow to stiffen then cut stringer with cutters.
8. Lightly heat the clear stringer nub that was left and gently press.
9. Heat the same spot just enough to plump it up
10. Repeat with the remainder of the stringers.
11. Add any other decorations you desire then anneal bead.
Old 2014-09-19, 5:59am

Where does one get aventurine ? Are they shards? I am going to try Norma's/Corina's method next time at the torch, (prolly not till Monday )

I haven't posted the other pics yet as I can't say I had much luck with them. One is interesting though, The suggestion to cover the bead in foil, add dots and melt, I put 4 dots of transparent aqua over the foil on a black based bead and only one didn't sink in. I was careful to keep the bead cool enough to not burn off the foil before adding the aqua too Is kind of cool though, LOL If you look real hard you can see the other 3.
Anyway, thanks for all your help, and I hope this is helping someone else also. I do so appreciate all the help.

One more question, if I get the clear dot too hot, would the heat from it burn off the foil from the rod? Maybe that is what happened to my other 3 dots, Hmmmm.

Last edited by glasser; 2014-09-19 at 6:19am. Reason: Thought of one more question.
Old 2014-09-19, 6:34am

Quote:
How do you get depth in the dots?
Put clear dots on top of (whatever your choose), melt it in, then keep adding dots of clear and melting them in, it will give you that depth look because the clear is sinking into the middle. Remember, the clear dot is going to just sink down over the area it is covering.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2014-09-19, 7:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
Put clear dots on top of (whatever your choose), melt it in, then keep adding dots of clear and melting them in, it will give you that depth look because the clear is sinking into the middle. Remember, the clear dot is going to just sink down over the area it is covering.

-Donna
Exactly. Looks like Reichenbach Blue Aventurine. Keep it simple! In boro try TAG Heavy Blue Leprechan.
Old 2014-09-19, 12:09pm

You can get aventurine chunks, rods, and stringers at Frantz.
I buy stringers; the rods are real shocky, and it takes my hothead forever to heat up the chunks to make stringers.

Quote:
Where does one get aventurine ? Are they shards? I am going to try Norma's/Corina's method next time at the torch, (prolly not till Monday )
Old 2014-09-19, 1:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
You can get aventurine chunks, rods, and stringers at Frantz.
I buy stringers; the rods are real shocky, and it takes my hothead forever to heat up the chunks to make stringers.
Can I buy chunky frit and pull my own stringers? Reichenbach has some really nice colors. How does the numbering system work on frit, Larger the number smaller the chunk? Is size 1 large or small?

Last edited by glasser; 2014-09-19 at 1:16pm.