Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-06, 9:49am
no user title

Default are you using ask104 glass?

Hi, what experience are you having with ask104? I was playing with one of the browns (yummy color). I cased with the K clear and could not get it to not crack (it's the casing layer that is cracking) after annealing. One bead that I took special care to heat thoroughly all the way through (which is how I learned to avoid such issues) before putting it in the kiln cracked after 4 days.. I know Arrow Springs says to not case the dark blue, but I suspect this brown might have the same issue.. I think it was the cinnamon..

Jennie
Old 2006-10-06, 10:11am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Is the K clear you mention Kugler? If so, I thought Kugler was COE 96?
Old 2006-10-06, 10:21am
<--- Time traveler

This is a new Kugler line that is 104 COE.
Old 2006-10-06, 11:23am
no user title

I spoke to Penny at Arrow Springs and they feel it's a problem with Kugler 104 clear, not the ASK 104 glass. I"m going to try and case the ASK 104
with Effettre and see what happens. If you have not seen the new colors, check them out in the Gallery forum.., they are very nice..

Jennie
Old 2006-10-11, 2:21pm
Missing presumed fed

At Beadfest, Lori from Arrow Springs said that it's the Kugler clear. It may be a batch thing -- I hadn't bought any, so I wasn't paying attention to the details -- but at least the most recent batch of Kugler clear was having cracking problems. If you bought some Kugler clear recently from Arrow Springs and it's cracking, you might want to contact Arrow Springs. They're working with Kugler to resolve the problem -- something about being left in the vat too long or something.

The newest ASK colors are shipping this week, including the aloe vera and the really pretty red (can't remember what it's called). If you pre-ordered, it should be on its way.
Old 2006-10-11, 2:55pm
Pink-tini anyone?

I haven't encased this glass yet, but let me just say I LOVE this glass!! Yummy!! I'll give it a try tonight with my clear batch. Sorry to hear it's giving you trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-10-12, 9:57am
no user title

Default experiment results

Well I did the experimentation (see above) and although the number of beads is small, Effettre Super clear worked great over the Cinnamon ASK104
and I had no cracking with the Kugler Clear batch (002) over Effettre..
go figure.. I was going to return the K clear but since it works with Effettre
and I love the way it works and the clarity I"M going to keep it.
I just got samples of the new new colors and have not had time even to look closely at them.. But I will.

Jennie
Old 2006-10-13, 11:56am
Oh No You Didn't!

I'm getting ready to place an order and I'm seeing some ASK colors I really like. but it's hard to tell what it really looks like in the pictures.

I'm liking the Caramel Apple, Pink Ladies slipper, silver cinnamon and silver rattan.

Have any of you used these particular colors yet and if so, how did you like them?

Better yet, anyone have pictures of beads made using these colors?

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon