Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-01-23, 6:57am
Cheeky & Impervious

Default FINALLY!!! Finished My New Indoor Studio...

....Well, OK, it's 98% finished. Still have to bring in the kiln from the garage. The ventilation system is running an 850 cfm fan. It is vented through the ceiling to the attic and properly vented through the side of the house to outside. Make-up air is vented through the wall under the bench from outside. When not in use, there will be a cover for the make-up air hole to seal it off. That's all I can say about the vent system. DH is an ME and spent lots of time properly working out the math and getting this designed correctly, which is to say much of the vent system is outside my realm of knowledge. It's a hair more than I need, but that's OK.

DH designed the workbench and we built it together, along with some help from his best friend. It was connected in place then tiled. (We just bought a new house and don't plan on moving again for 10 to 20 years -- also had the builder purposely tile this room). Torch side is 3' deep, return section is 2' deep. There's a shelf that runs beneath the entire bench for storage. Custom built for my height (I use a draftsman's chair at tallest setting) so I can stand or sit while I torch (I have back injuries).

The propane is outside the house, hard plumbed from the first story up the side of the house and through the outside into the studio. I am running two M15's (tho I have tanked oxy and we're hard plumbing for it as well) and a new Barracuda I get to try out this weekend.

I will post remaining pics in a second post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Julabula; 2009-01-23 at 7:03am.
Old 2009-01-23, 7:02am
Cheeky & Impervious

The "return" section of the workbench (lampwork tools all here), handy for putting together final jewelry pieces:

Directly behind my workbench (all this is 104 COE):

Two shots of my closet (we pulled out what the house came with and installed all shelving...what you CAN'T see is that, unfortunately, my cats' litter box is in the corner of my studio closet for lack of anywhere better to put it):

To the right as you walk into the studio (boro storage -- oh, and cat bed! Studio = Cattery!):

And, finally, the brand spankin' new Barracuda!!!! (THANK YOU CHRIS CAMACK FROM WALE!):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-23, 7:03am

Wow! It's lovely and (for right now at least) so neat and tidy. Ought to be a great place to work.

Congratulations!
Old 2009-01-23, 7:15am
Cheeky & Impervious

LOL! Thanks. Yeah....the closet and glass storage will always be neat. The workbench....mmmmm, not so much!!

Old 2009-01-23, 7:56am
Pink-tini anyone?

Jules, it's FANTASTIC!! You thought of everything and it all is just so nice and organized!! Woot on the new cuda and I'm so happy for you that you're ready to torch again!! I'm writing that note now to excuse you from the office, k? Have fun girl!

Old 2009-01-23, 7:56am
Enabler

Jules, Honey.........I am so proud for you!! What a a cool workspace. I love all your storage, and I'm green with envy over the 'cuda!

Doing a happy dance for ya, Sweets.....I know how long you've waited and how hard you've worked for it. Couldn't happen to a more deserving soul.

Old 2009-01-23, 7:59am

Thumbs up

Woohoo!!! Gorgeous!!!

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2009-01-23, 8:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julabula View Post
.DH is an ME and spent lots of time properly working out the math and getting this designed correctly, which is to say much of the vent system is outside my realm of knowledge. It's a hair more than I need, but that's OK.
This made me smile...my dad is an ME...he used to build stuff for the house (built in furniture, regular furniture, our stereos, our televisions, etc etc)...I can soooo relate

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2009-01-23, 8:14am
boro color bender

Wooohooo! Nice Jules... can't wait to see it messed up a little!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-01-23, 8:17am
Flamewoman

Your studio is lovely. I 'm sure you will enjoy many, many happy hours of torching there.You and your DH have done a wonderful job with the ventilation and I love your workbench, that is just perfect. My studio looked all nice and neat like that too, once, a long time ago...........

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-01-23, 8:31am
Cheeky & Impervious

Thanks! DH is the best, actually. He put a lot of time and effort in. We used one of the spare bedrooms as the studio (if we resell the house at some point, people are gonna wonder why a bedroom is tiled!), which meant the whole room was on one 15 amp circuit. Well, that's certainly not enough, so he even added 30 amps so I have a total of 45.

I love being married to an mechanical engineer!!! I tell him all the time how freakin' convenient his degree is for me!!

Old 2009-01-23, 8:38am

Quote:
Thanks! DH is the best, actually. He put a lot of time and effort in. We used one of the spare bedrooms as the studio (if we resell the house at some point, people are gonna wonder why a bedroom is tiled!), which meant the whole room was on one 15 amp circuit. Well, that's certainly not enough, so he even added 30 amps so I have a total of 45.

I love being married to an mechanical engineer!!! I tell him all the time how freakin' convenient his degree is for me!!
I actually went back and "visited" the house I grew up in about 20 years later (long story)...the new owners were raving about all of the built-ins and stuff my dad did It was pretty cool seeing that it was all still there...

J.
Old 2009-01-23, 8:44am
Master Procrastinator

It's fabulous Jules! I can see why you're so excited! Everything has been thought out. How lucky to be married to a man that can plan all the ventilation & stuff out so you don't have to.

I have a question about your worktable. How high is it? I just got a new table & it's 36" tall. It's one of those stainless steel prep tables so the height is standard. I was thinking of cutting down the legs, but maybe I don't have to. Hmmmm.......

Old 2009-01-23, 9:19am

What a fabulous studio you've created! You thought about everything - workspace, ventilation, electrical, and even space for the kitties. I hope you have many happy hours of torching in there.

Yes, it is wonderful being married to an engineer. Mine isn't an engineer by degree, but he thinks like one, and can build and fix anything.

BTW, love your screen name. My daughter's name is Julia, and one of her nicknames is Juliabulia.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2009-01-23, 9:24am
Cheeky & Impervious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
I actually went back and "visited" the house I grew up in about 20 years later (long story)...the new owners were raving about all of the built-ins and stuff my dad did It was pretty cool seeing that it was all still there...

J.
I get asked all the time by my glass girlfriends if they can "borrow" DH for a bit...LOL! The best thing is he LOVES a new project. If it requires design, mathematics, building it from scratch and then making it work, he's all over it. (Thank God or I'd have never had an indoor studio by myself!) I love that man.

Old 2009-01-23, 9:46am
Cheeky & Impervious

Lea, I sent you a PM, it's 47" or 48" I believe. Can measure tonight and will PM you.

Diane, isn't having someone who's ready, able and willing to build you stuff a total dream?! I wish I were that smart. I love your daughter's nickname! "Julabula" is what my Mom called me when I was itty-bitty and it stuck. No one ever called me that but my mom, until my best friend in high school picked up on it one day. It's always been my forum nickname everywhere, it cracks my Mom up to no end.

Old 2009-01-23, 11:23am
Surrounded by Trouble

Jules the new studio looks fabulous!
We need to set up a play date after my show, so I can come and mess up that clean work space.

Old 2009-01-23, 11:27am
da General

Jules! How exciting! You will be so happy spending many hours there with everything well thought out and put together perfectly. Your Cuda looks a wee bit lonely tho! lol!

Isn't it great to have a man who is smart and handy around? Mine is an architect and his degree is convenient for me too!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-23, 11:52am
Cheeky & Impervious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T View Post
Jules the new studio looks fabulous!
We need to set up a play date after my show, so I can come and mess up that clean work space.
Anytime!!! Hell, I'll just give you a key. LOL. Yep, as soon as your show's done, either I'm coming down, or you're coming up here. That's perfect, because I get breather after Mar. 9 (we've got 6 trials between now and then! Egads.)

Old 2009-01-23, 11:53am
Cheeky & Impervious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
...Mine is an architect and his degree is convenient for me too!

OOOOH....we should introduce them! An architect and an ME....just think of the possibilities!

Old 2009-01-23, 11:57am
da General

Quote:
OOOOH....we should introduce them! An architect and an ME....just think of the possibilities!
I need to start making a list! lol!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-23, 2:02pm
Catchen' the Sun

Jules, your studio is Fantastic. I know you will make some awesome stuff in there.

Lea set up your ironing board and put your torch on it. using the chair you use to torch in "act" like you are going to make a bead or what ever and then have someone adjust the ironing board until it is the correct height. instant custom table height. (can you tell I am vertically challenged?)

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2009-01-25, 7:20am

Looks great!
Old 2009-01-25, 12:06pm
Don't dis The Cheese

Awesome studio! I'm wondering who the horsey toy is for. Is it there to play with for your break times?

Excellent set up!

It takes a lot more "faith" to believe that man did all of this all by himself than it does to believe that he had help.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not. ~Andre Gide
Old 2009-01-26, 9:59am
Your Royal Fritness

SWEET! Very nice studio... now it's time to mess it up a bit

Old 2009-01-26, 4:47pm

Wow - I love your new studio. Thanks for including the bit about your table height - I too have back/neck/hand/arm issues so feel it would be wise to set my table up at a custom higher level too.

So many of you have husbands that are handy. My DAD is/was handy, but age is catching up with him so I don't pester him any more. My husband tries to be, but he is a financial controller - now mechanical skills really to speak of. Hard to go from a daddy who can do/make anything to a hubby that "thinks" he can......

Thank you for sharing!
Old 2009-01-27, 11:22am
Cheeky & Impervious

Thanks, guys. I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to get off work tonight and go home & play. DH did a bang up job. Oh, and on Day 2 my tabby kitty decided he could nap over the vent system. Yay!

Lisa, the "horsey" is actually an ancient wooden Fisher Price giraffe my parents bought me when I was baby (1972). A few years ago, Mom made calls to us all and said, "I'm through carting around your childhood toys, if you want 'em, come get 'em!" I ran over and collected him (along with several other sentimental ones!). His little antlers (are they called antlers on a giraffe?!) are gone, his ears are gone, his pull tether is in shreds...I don't care, he's my "Raffy." [Might I add that DH is a bit horrified by him, but he's gotten used to him.] LOL

Old 2009-01-27, 11:27am
HourGlass Studio

Jules...your new studio looks amazing. You must be thrilled beyond belief. Enjoy

Old 2009-01-27, 6:18pm
Don't dis The Cheese

Quote:
Lisa, the "horsey" is actually an ancient wooden Fisher Price giraffe my parents bought me when I was baby (1972). A few years ago, Mom made calls to us all and said, "I'm through carting around your childhood toys, if you want 'em, come get 'em!" I ran over and collected him (along with several other sentimental ones!). His little antlers (are they called antlers on a giraffe?!) are gone, his ears are gone, his pull tether is in shreds...I don't care, he's my "Raffy." [Might I add that DH is a bit horrified by him, but he's gotten used to him.] LOL
Very cool! I recognized it as an older one- I wanted to know the back story. I'm glad your Mom saved it for you! I still have my daughter's dollhouse. It's a Little Tykes one that they didn't make many of. She's 20 now and that "come get your stuff" day will come for her as well. Or, maybe I'll just keep it for grandchildren.

Enjoy your wonderful space!

It takes a lot more "faith" to believe that man did all of this all by himself than it does to believe that he had help.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not. ~Andre Gide
Old 2009-01-28, 7:00am
Cheeky & Impervious

Thanks, Lisa. Mom was wonderful and saved all kinds of our stuff! They still have our original electronic Pong game, and our original Atari. LOL.