Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-29, 9:10am

Default how to use dalai lama from TAG

can anybody tell me how to use Dalai Lama from TAG. I have purchased some and tried like it was mentioned on the website, but no deal. only pooh colors.

melted it in in a neutral flame, than light reduced and striked. didn't know if it had to be lightly striking (no colors) of heavenly (no colors), so if anybody can give some advise, please.....
thanks,
groetjes Anja

Last edited by bless; 2012-07-29 at 11:39am.
Old 2012-07-29, 9:20am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

It likes lots and lots of heat! I heat my gather until it is white-hot, so hot you can see right through it and it is almost falling off the rod. Then cool it and wait for a light brown skin to form on it. Then you can reheat in a neutral flame or encase or whatever. I have found that each batch works a bit different. I am sure Jenny from TAG could give more tips if you email her. She is really helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2012-07-29, 9:54am
Unmedicated since '62

Heat the snot out of it, swear a bit as you nearly drop it in your lap a few times, try unsuccessfully to make even a semblance of a round bead during this process, jump out of your chair and hold the bead in the flow of the aircon till its nicely chilled, put it back in the flame and wince as you expect it to crack, warm it back to a glow and get the barest hint of colour, throw it into the kiln in disgust, wrap up thd remaining rods and pass them onto somebody else in sheer frustration

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-07-29, 10:51am

That's about how I feel with Fire Opal. Anyone have a hint with that one. I got black!!!
Old 2012-07-29, 2:12pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Here is a dalia lama bead I made using the heat-the-snot-out-of-it method.

Ha! Deb, you crack me up!

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2012-07-29, 3:49pm

I agree with Deb. I can't get Dalai Lama to do anything, even when
I heat-the-snot-out-of-it.
Old 2012-07-29, 5:38pm
Tweedle Dumb

I can get most striking glass to do its thing. Dali is not one of them... the other is Tibet. There is nothing I can do to convince that glass to be anything but dog shit colored.

When I go into business making glass dung beads, I know what color I'm going to reach for.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-07-29, 6:28pm
Unmedicated since '62

i may have inadvertantly bagged out dalai lama to jenny from Tag here at the gathering, if you read this Jenny i'm sorry but i was just being honest

Old 2012-07-29, 7:35pm
Senior Moment

LOL Dalai Lama is the only glass I ever gave away and flatly refused to take a single thing in return.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2012-07-29, 10:42pm

Send it to me.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-07-29, 10:45pm

hell, I just bought 9 rods, so you can imagine that i want to get it right. it was a lot of money and the pictures showed the most lovely blues and greens. never thought it would be a enterprise to neverneverland.
but every advise is welcome so i could get some colors from it.
Old 2012-07-29, 11:48pm

Bless, I don't think you want to reduce it. From what I know about striking glass, no reducing is necessary. But good luck, I have horrible luck with striking glass.

Old 2012-07-30, 2:04am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

This was Dali Lama the only time I tried it, the middle bit looked a bit like Coca Cola, I sold it on Etsy, so someone liked it!

Old 2012-07-30, 7:51am

Love your description, Deb... Once in a great while, I can get some other color other than pooh..but only if the stars are lined up directly over my oxycon.

Beaded Chic

Old 2012-07-31, 8:56am
Gay rights R human rights

Dont reduce! It also wants to be struck close to the cone tips of your flame, not the very back bit.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2012-07-31, 9:41am

tiggybubba, do you mean like multicolor???
Old 2012-08-05, 10:37pm

tried a couple of practise beads, but no luck. stills stays brown, a little blue, but just a little.....
Old 2012-08-07, 11:03pm

I think the general principal is that both Dalai Lama and Tibet need to go transparent hot to start, but then don't need to be struck to death to get color. I strike my Tibet like I strike Rubino Oro - lightly, after it's been worked into shape. However, they do tend to make pastels, not bright rainbow colors. That is why we make the Lotus colors - they are brighter and take longer working like a champ.

Trouble is, everyone works a little differently, and everyone's studio is set up differently. So, as they say, your mileage may vary. Some people like Dalai Lama; personally I only like it for quick purple production beads, and I have to encase it every time to keep it purple.

For what it's worth... TAG WILL DO EXCHANGES ON GLASS YOU HATE. We do stand by our color and frankly, we make enough other glass that people seem to love that we will replace a color you hate with one we are sure you will like better. It's just not worth it to have you curse our name when you see those rods on the shelf.

If you need to send something back to us and swap it out, call me: 503-656-9350.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-08-07, 11:04pm

...and if you are getting a little blue, you might not be striking it long enough?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-08-08, 4:40am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post

For what it's worth... TAG WILL DO EXCHANGES ON GLASS YOU HATE. We do stand by our color and frankly, we make enough other glass that people seem to love that we will replace a color you hate with one we are sure you will like better. It's just not worth it to have you curse our name when you see those rods on the shelf.
I have nothing to return to TAG but seeing this post made my heart sing a little this morning!! What terrific customer service! I have LOTS of glass that I wonder how anyone gets anything else other than puppy poop colors out of and to know, if some of it was TAGs (it's not!), I could call Jenny and she'd exchange it for something more suitable to my skill level. What an incredible offer!!! YOU ROCK!!!!
Old 2012-08-08, 4:41am
Angie09

Forgot ... I think the Soda Lime Times has a tut from Dawn on Dali Lama this coming month!! May have to get me some!
Old 2012-08-08, 4:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
I have nothing to return to TAG but seeing this post made my heart sing a little this morning!! What terrific customer service! I have LOTS of glass that I wonder how anyone gets anything else other than puppy poop colors out of and to know, if some of it was TAGs (it's not!), I could call Jenny and she'd exchange it for something more suitable to my skill level. What an incredible offer!!! YOU ROCK!!!!
wow, that says a lot right there...what a great policy!
too bad i like all the tag colors.....i'm too honest, it'd be too easy to say i hate Cezzanne (sp?) just to try out fire lotus w/o spending money. hopefully customers have better morals then that.
Old 2012-08-08, 6:34am

Hi Jenny!!
Old 2012-08-08, 6:55am

Check this out...

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229382

Old 2012-08-08, 8:30am
Unmedicated since '62

now i feel bad <scuffs the dust with toe>

does it help if i say i LOVE my silver turquoise?

Old 2012-08-08, 3:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
now i feel bad <scuffs the dust with toe>

does it help if i say i LOVE my silver turquoise?
Deb, you crack me up! NO WORRIES. Besides, you were looking at the boro at ISGB, right?

And thanks, folks, I do love my job and part of what makes me happiest is when I can find a win-win-win solution to what appears to be a problem.

Old 2012-08-08, 3:36pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
Deb, you crack me up! NO WORRIES. Besides, you were looking at the boro at ISGB, right?

And thanks, folks, I do love my job and part of what makes me happiest is when I can find a win-win-win solution to what appears to be a problem.
Mate, I was drooling over EVERYTHING!

Old 2012-08-10, 7:45am

Hi Anja, We do have a tutorial by Dawn Scannell coming in the next Soda Lime Times. She even did a video to go along with it. The silver glass issue will be available to our subscribers on Aug 15th and as a back issue on Sept. 15th.

Here is a photo of Dawn's beads from her tutorial. Gorgeous huh?

Old 2012-08-10, 9:16am
Angie09

I drool every time I see her beads!! Haven't ever seen one that WASN'T gorgeous!!!!
Old 2012-08-13, 3:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Woodall View Post
Hi Anja, We do have a tutorial by Dawn Scannell coming in the next Soda Lime Times. She even did a video to go along with it. The silver glass issue will be available to our subscribers on Aug 15th and as a back issue on Sept. 15th.

Here is a photo of Dawn's beads from her tutorial. Gorgeous huh?

HI Diane,

I can´t wait for this issue. Hope it will make me to get some color of Dalai Lame. Jenny was so kind to help me by mail and to give advise, but I´m afraid I have a stubbern bunch or still do something wrong. I still get only a little blue and green and more brown and certainly not this colors. But perhaps this tutorial can make a difference.
I´m glad that Jenny and Tag offers a really good customer services, but hope to make this beautiful bead (and there a too beautiful) soon.
Anja