Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-06, 5:50am

Default Bluebird vs fishbone

Hi, can anyone shed some light on the difference between these two? I have researching and can't find any fundamental differences... Why would you choose one over the other?
Cheers!
Lisa
Old 2012-08-06, 6:27am
Loving learning

What are they?
Old 2012-08-06, 6:28am
A True Woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
What are they?
This is what I was wondering. There's a paragon kiln called a bluebird, but I don't know what a fishbone is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-06, 6:36am
grama punky - class junky

lol, I assumed some sort of smart phone...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-06, 2:11pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Fishbone is an Evenheat kiln. I can't tell from the images and specs if it is a fiber or brick unit. It does say it only goes up to 1200 degrees so fusing would be out in that one. Also the elements are listed as embedded, which can be problematic when needing replacement.

The Blue Bird is fiber not brick. it too has a max temp of 1200. It holds heat well when running, but does not hold the heat quite as well as brick when the elements turn off.

Have you looked at The Regular Guy? It is comparable to the Blue Bird in size, and it is on sale for 20% off right now(the discount comes off when I invoice you, the online prices are retail). Our chambers are all brick construction not fiber blanket or board, doors are more durable, our chamber s deeper, and our doors are 4" instead of 2 3/4". The max temp for ours is 1700.

The Regular Guy kiln page

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-08-06, 2:19pm
A True Woofer

I would always choose a Glass Hive kiln over any other.

Old 2012-08-06, 2:25pm

Me too! Get any of the Glass Hive kilns, they are all great!

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-08-06, 9:55pm

We did choose a glasshive over the blue bird, and I have a paragon sc2 as well love the glasshive over my paragon one big reason is the shelf infront of the doors instead of the metal shark teeth to hold mandrels, I hate the metal mandrel holder glasshives shelf makes more sense and works much better. also glasshive is having one heck of a sale and free shipping this week.

#C-151
Old 2012-08-06, 10:10pm
Unmedicated since '62

my bluebird is brick not fibre

give a choice i'd go for either a glasshive or a paragon, the only reason i chose a paragon over glasshive at the time was delivery time - i think they're both equally quality kilns

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-07, 6:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post

give a choice i'd go for either a glasshive or a paragon, the only reason i chose a paragon over glasshive at the time was delivery time - i think they're both equally quality kilns
Thank you for your nice comment about the BlueBird. The standard BlueBird and BlueBird Jr. are made of ceramic fiber. The BlueBird XL has firebrick walls and floor and a ceramic fiber roof.

Here is a maintenance video that shows how the element is embedded in the ceramic fiber roof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10sN7...1&feature=plcp

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com
Old 2012-08-07, 8:14am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post

Ditto that.

Also, I have a Paragon Caldera. The controller went out recently but I didn't know that's what it was at the time. I called the company and the walk-through on the phone was awesome.

I live about an hour from the factory so asked if I could bring it over because I was freaking (huge order due NOW, no kiln) and they worked me in. They had the controller replaced and had me on my way in 15 minutes.

They didn't have to work me in or help me out like that but they did and I am hugely grateful for that. My order went out on time and my new controller is a dream (the old one had survived amateur shipping from Ohio and lasted five years after that AND was used when I bought it).

I've seen how exemplary Glass Hive is about customer service too so I would be careful to investigate how the Fishbone customer service is. Believe me, down the road, it does matter.

Old 2012-08-07, 10:19am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Howard View Post
Thank you for your nice comment about the BlueBird. The standard BlueBird and BlueBird Jr. are made of ceramic fiber. The BlueBird XL has firebrick walls and floor and a ceramic fiber roof.

Here is a maintenance video that shows how the element is embedded in the ceramic fiber roof:

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
i love my bluebird, its survived shipping from the US to Australia then from the east coast to the north (7000ks) and back again, and has never skipped a beat, and yep, mine is an XL so its brick

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2012-08-07 at 10:21am.
Old 2012-08-07, 12:57pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Howard View Post

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
My apologies Arnold. I really should have pointed out that difference in the XL. I was speaking solely on the standard Blue Bird, but the information would have been good to include for a more fair comparison across the product lines.

Luckily for the buyers, there isn't a bad choice, simply preferences. We all make good products. Depending on the size of your work and your budget, one of the companies makes what is just right for you.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-08-08, 5:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsGlass View Post
Luckily for the buyers, there isn't a bad choice, simply preferences. We all make good products. Depending on the size of your work and your budget, one of the companies makes what is just right for you.
Thank you! One of the things I love about the kiln industry is that most competitors are friendly. Last Sunday I attended the Ed Hoy's International open house and enjoyed spending time with Mike Kelly of Evenheat kilns and Mike Sievers of Skutt kilns.

I wish you much success.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard