Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-05-12, 12:19pm
FlameTree Glass, Inc.

Default Help! DPI questions

I have a Power Mac G4 and a new Sony 7.2 Cyber Shot. I don't know what to do to get my photos to load as 300 dpi into Photo Shop. When I download photos onto the computer, they're coming in at 72 dpi and I don't know how to change it. Can someone help me?
Thanks,
Maureen
Old 2007-05-12, 12:45pm
In search of her path....

when you open them in photo shop they will be 72 DPI and probally like 40 some inches wide or something like that what you do is resize it to what you want. like 8x 10 inches and then set the DPI at 300 and it will resize the pic to that from the what it was on the camera. Basically what your doing is compressing down the huge inch file into a more compact DPI file that is smaller in inches but larger in DPI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2007-05-13, 8:41pm
Boro Brat

Yep! What Karin said! One more thing...if you are viewing on-screen (not printing) such as setting up for an ebay auction, 72 dpi is what you want...it is the right resolution for viewing on the screen. For prining, most printers are best at 300 dpi. As a side note, I normally save my edited files under a different name so that I always have the origional pics at the origional resolution if I need it. Hope that helped a little!

Old 2007-05-15, 10:00am
FlameTree Glass, Inc.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.
Maureen
Old 2007-05-16, 6:58am
Beadaholic and lovin it!!

Hey Maureen
I miss you guys here in Orlando!!! Hope all is will in Georgia. Good luck with the pix.

Karen

BOREDOM IS A MATTER OF CHOICE NOT CIRCUMSTANCE

Old 2007-05-16, 11:20am
ManBearPig

If you are using Photoshop, select Image>Image Size. That will open a box that gives you the file dimensions, resolution, etc.

To change them from 72 dpi to 300, first deselect "Resample Image" and then change the resolution from 72 to 300. If you don't deselect "Resample Image", it will blow the image up almost three times the original size, and your picture clarity will suffer greatly from the resampling. If you don't resample, all you are doing is just telling your computer how many pixels are in an inch. The picture is the same pixel size, but the physical size goes down because there are the same number of pixels. And, instead of dividing them up every 72 pixels and calling that an inch, it is making the division every 300 pixels.

Old 2008-02-06, 8:51pm

What if I don't have Photoshop - are there any standard programs (I'm using Vista, sorry) that can resize?
I have Microsoft Office Picture and Paint.
(Wimpy, I know, but I usually just take pics and crop them, don't mess with color or anything else.)

And sorry, I'm glass literate but computer stupid and easily frustrated.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-02-07, 8:18am
ManBearPig

I believe GIMP will resize photos. www.gimp.org

Old 2008-02-07, 9:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
What if I don't have Photoshop - are there any standard programs (I'm using Vista, sorry) that can resize?
I have Microsoft Office Picture and Paint.
(Wimpy, I know, but I usually just take pics and crop them, don't mess with color or anything else.)

And sorry, I'm glass literate but computer stupid and easily frustrated.
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the Beads 2008 group ad, but if it does you can just send me the biggest picture you have. (Big!) I can make it 300 DPI myself.

: Friendly site for reserving spots in Group Magazine Ads.
Connect with me:

Old 2008-02-09, 8:20am
Mandrel Slayer

Can I hijack this thread? I have a graphic from my website that I want to use in print but it was created at 72 dpi. When I re-size it to 300 dpi it is about 1 inch in size. Is there anyway to enlarge this?

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2008-02-09, 10:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyberrys View Post
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the Beads 2008 group ad, but if it does you can just send me the biggest picture you have. (Big!) I can make it 300 DPI myself.
It does, it does, and I love you - mine are coming in 180 dpi.

I'll see what I can take good pics of that I really like today - thank you so much!!!!!

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-02-11, 7:17am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithfirebeads View Post
Can I hijack this thread? I have a graphic from my website that I want to use in print but it was created at 72 dpi. When I re-size it to 300 dpi it is about 1 inch in size. Is there anyway to enlarge this?
Nope. You can reduce the DPI, but not increase it without losing clarity.

DPI is "dots per inch". "Dots" are pixels. When the number is 72 or 300 or 1200, all that is doing is telling the computer that that many pixels will make up an inch. So if a picture is 100 dpi, and the picture is 300 pixels wide, the picture will be 3 inches wide. If you tell the computer to interpret the file as 300 dpi, it will make it one inch wide. The more pixels per inch the better the clarity of the picture will be. When you take a low resolution picture and make it larger, the computer "splits pixels" to make it bigger. So if you have a picture that is a black pixel next to a white pixel, the computer will add pixels in between to make it larger. It will make those pixels gray, which is the average of the pixels around it. So, when you do that with a photograph, it adds in a lot of extra pixels and makes them the color that is the average of the pixels around them. That is what ruins the clarity.

Last edited by Cosmo; 2008-02-11 at 7:21am.
Old 2008-02-19, 9:25pm

Cosmo you were born to be a teacher among your many other talents! You manage to explain complex concepts so that even a novice can understand. A rare trait and much appriciated!

Old 2008-02-20, 8:39am
ManBearPig

Thanks. I do what I can.

I also taught a Photoshop class at our local community college several years ago, so I've heard almost all of these questions before. I wish I still had my handouts from class. If I did, I'd post them here. I lost them in a computer meltdown...