No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-18, 12:07am
Spell check please

Default Determining glass COE?

I have some dichroic glass and have no idea what Coe it is. I melted some on top of coe 90 glass and it broke in tiny pieces. I also stacked some of it together and fused it. It melted together just a little with the edges a bit rounded. I took it up to 1500 and held it there for about an hour. Is there any way to figure out the Coe?
Thanks for any info.

Elaine
Old 2013-12-18, 2:17pm
Loving learning

As far as I know, just trying it and checking for stress, or possibly pulling a stringer with the same amount of a known COE glass. I tried that though & had a problem keeping it so the glass was equal on each side, so maybe someone who is good at it will chime in?
Old 2013-12-18, 2:27pm

My guess is boro. 90, 96 and 104,etc, should be beyond fully fused at 1500 for an hour. Do you have any boro? Try timing how long it takes you to get it workable in your flame, then try melting the dichroic and see if it takes as long.

Mimi
Old 2013-12-19, 11:52am
Spell check please

I forgot to mention that what i have is all pieces of flat scrap glass. I bought many pounds of it because it was a good price. I plan on testing it in a fusing kiln, was just woundering if there was any way to gage a coe for it. Its pretty awesome glass. I will try to get a picture up of what i have.

Last edited by nitefire; 2014-01-11 at 9:06pm.
Old 2013-12-19, 12:09pm

Good information about various COE melting points in this thread: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258093

You would need to put a straight piece of glass suspended across something in the kiln then increase the kiln temperature until you see the piece start to droop. Do that for each COE and your dicro and see which temperature matches the temperature at which the dicro begins to droop. (And I would try to make sure the thickness of the glass pieces are the same.) That should give you an idea of the COE. I haven't ever tried it, but in the imaginary world of my mind it works. Hope it helps! Let us know if you try it.

(And if I'm totally off in my own little world, someone please correct me so I don't lead anyone astray.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-19, 9:17pm
Spell check please

Thanks for the info Rachel i will check it out.
Old 2014-01-07, 6:07pm
Spell check please

I am willing to give 6 oz (for free, just pay $3.00 for shipping ) to a few people to try out.

Elaine

Last edited by nitefire; 2014-01-07 at 6:21pm.
Old 2014-01-07, 6:59pm

Agree with Mimi - betcha it's boro. It could have been some of the glass that was used in the film industry in the black and white days to reflect more light on the actors. I used mine on wind chimes rather than in lampworking because I don't have the oxy to melt it. NASA inventing dichro is incorrect, but they did use it to help reflect the sun's rays and control the heat.

Barbara

Last edited by 28676bhe; 2014-01-07 at 7:05pm.
Old 2014-01-07, 10:28pm
Spell check please

http://www.firemountaingems.com/ency...asp?docid=7a1x

Here is some information on Dichroic glass. And information about where it came from. If i am wrong please share your information. As i am interested as well.

Thanks
Elaine
Old 2014-01-07, 11:00pm

Hmmm, your article does say NASA, so where did I get the info on the old movies?

Barbara
Old 2014-01-07, 11:23pm
Spell check please

I don't know where your information about old movies came from. This glass is not more than 10 years old, so don't think its from the old movie era. Im sure someone here will have more information about where dichroic glass originated. Its not really a big deal to me where it came from. I just like the stuff.

Elaine
Old 2014-01-08, 4:04am

A good way to do it is making small test squares and using a polarizing lens to look for stress.
Here is a link:

http://www.paragonweb.com/Kiln_Pointer.cfm?PID=221

The article mentions Edwards Scientific as a good place to get a lens, If you were closer I would lend you mine.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2014-01-08, 8:05am
Glass-aholic

Elaine I'll pm you. I've got some scrab boro that I use to make cool pendants. I wod be happy to compare them
I have a neat free video tutorial that I use these in.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-01-08, 9:01am

One of the quickest and easiest way to test compatibility is to take a piece of your dichro or any glass in question.....and over lap it on a rod of glass you know the COE for. I try to over lap about an inch. Melt them together and pull out into a straight stringer. Set aside. If the glasses are compatible the stringer will stay straight...if they are not - the stringer will bend into a curve. This will show the the two glasses have a different contraction rate in cooling. It is not the most scientific method but an old time quick test
Hope that helps
Lisa
Old 2014-01-08, 10:30am
Spell check please

At the moment i am using a minor torch and 2 oxy cons, but don't have it hooked up. I have put multiple pieces of this dichro in a kiln along with some bullseye. The bullseye on bullseye melted into the shelf paper, the bullseye on dichro shattered when i took it out of the kiln. And the dichro on dichro stuck together but did not round out the sharp edges at 1500 degrees. i don't have a polarizing lens and did not want to put it in a torch flame because… well I'm just a chicken and i hate it when glass explodes in my face. And knowing nothing about the exact coating on this glass makes it a little sketchy to just put in an open flame. Did i mention i am a chicken. Lots of good info here, i will try when i have more time. And Jaci i will send you some to try, that would be great.

Thanks
Elaine
Old 2014-01-10, 10:10am
Spell check please

Anyone else want some to play with? Jaci has a package on the way to test. I was able to get 9oz in Jaci's for the 3.00 shipping fee. Have fun Jaci.

Thanks for all the information everyone.

Elaine
Old 2014-01-10, 11:47am
Glass-aholic

Yay!

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-01-10, 12:12pm
Master Procrastinator

I have boro, 96 & 104 if you want to send me some to test for you. Only thing is my studio's in my garage & it being winter, torch time is a bit dependent on the weather. So, not sure when I'll get to it. Just recovering from a ferocious cold snap so might be ready for some more reasonable weather changes. Shoot me a PM Elaine if you're still looking for testers.

Old 2014-01-10, 10:36pm
Spell check please

Lea i sent you a PM.

Thanks
Elaine
Old 2014-01-11, 9:37pm
Spell check please

I got a bit more information on this glass today. It is indeed Borosilicate.

Elaine
Old 2014-01-11, 10:14pm
Master Procrastinator

that's what I was thinking too. I'm guessing that you don't need it tested in that case.

Old 2014-01-11, 11:03pm
Spell check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
that's what I was thinking too. I'm guessing that you don't need it tested in that case.
I would still love it if you showed me what you do with it.
But no hurry.
Thanks
Elaine
Old 2014-01-12, 12:50am
Glass-aholic

Watch my video and see what I did with it on my free tutorials section of my blog. Really cool stuff. I also posted the tutorial here online somewhere in the tutorial section.

Old 2014-01-12, 7:57am
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitefire View Post
I would still love it if you showed me what you do with it.
But no hurry.
Thanks
Elaine
Sure thing! Thanks Elaine!

Old 2014-01-12, 8:04am

Yes, boro. Slumping temp is 1700 F. Glad you figured it out!!

Old 2014-01-12, 9:25am
honorary bead lady

It's boro dicro? I bet you could easily get rid of that in the right place
Old 2014-01-12, 10:09am

Looks like the same stuff they sell for $25 a pound as scrap boro on eBay. Its always floating around from shop to shop it seems............
Old 2014-01-12, 10:26am
Spell check please

Thanks for posting the slumping temp for boro, I was going to ask though has anyone made beads with any glass that resembles this stuff? David for $3.00 I will send you some to try. jaci I will watch that Video now.

thanks
Elaine
Old 2014-01-12, 10:46am
Spell check please

Great video jaci. Now I just need stop being a chicken and melt this stuff with my torch.
Old 2014-01-12, 10:53am
Spell check please

If David dos'nt take me up on the offer in the next few days, to send him a sample pak of this stuff for the $3.00 shipping fee. I will send one more person a sample pak. I have had people PM me requests and sent out some packages. But am willing to add just one more person to the list.

Thanks
Elaine