Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-11-03, 6:25pm
Melody of Glass

Default Question re: Noodlesaurus Punties

I just picked up a pair a bit ago.
Similar to these but single-ended http://www.noodlesaurus.com/catalog.php?item=189

I intend to use them mostly for murrini. When I pull murrini cane today, I use ss chopsticks and I cap both ends of the cane in clear to push the chopsticks into. When using the noodlesaurus punties, do you still cap in clear or just start to build right on the punty face?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-11-04, 6:39am

You could build in the punti face so long as your murrini gather isn't any bigger than the face. If the gather is bigger then you'll probably have a hard time getting an even pull. the rods on these look a little thin to get a good grip. I would probably build as usual and still cap with clear. My murrini gathers tend to be pretty big, though.

Robert
Old 2013-11-04, 4:56pm
Melody of Glass

Thanks Robert. Tried them last night. I had a good clear cap on one end and less on the other. I would definitely cap well with clear on both ends next time. In retrospect, as I think about it, it makes perfect sense that I would want the clear cap (rather than the murrini) to stay the size of the attachment point to the punty so I didn't lose as much.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-11-06, 9:12pm
AKA: Noodlesaurus

Glad to hear you are having fun with them.. Let me know if you have any questions!!
Enjoy and thanks again for your support!!

or
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....
Old 2013-11-06, 11:30pm
I speak Murrini!

My Noodie punties are my most important tools!

I work in 104, and I think my favorite punties are my 1". I never even thought of building on the face of the punty - I start all my murrini and build them entirely on a 5/32" mandrel. I then clear cap the gather on open-faced side, and add one Nood punty. I heat and pull off the "starter" mandrel, clear cap the other side of the gather, and add the second punty.

I have made some pretty good sized gathers, often they are 2-2 1/2" diameter and about 3/4" thick - kinda like a hockey puck. Even with the punties being smaller than the diameter of the gather, if you are careful to center the punties, heat the gather thoroughly and do a little "pre-pull", the difference in diameter of the punties versus the gather seems to even out nicely.

By pre-pull I mean that after the gather is soft, pull it out just slightly to draw down it's size and condense it a bit. I usually pull it to about 1 1/4" long, then I bring the gather back up to heat so it is nice and soft, and proceed with the final slow pull down...works every time!

Hope that helps~

(And don't get me started talking murrini...I swear I could write a book! )

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2013-11-07, 5:29am
Melody of Glass

Thanks De! Was hoping you would weigh in as I know you love them. Makes sense...same way I build when I use chopsticks.

And you should write a book!!

Coming soon...

Old 2013-11-09, 1:17pm
Can't you see I'm busy???

I have a question...
I love my Noodlesaurus punties, and use them constantly. I'm not always careful to start with clear, so after pulling, I frequently clean the punties off by dumping them in a can of cold water. Will this damage the punties in the long run?

TIA!
Old 2013-11-10, 7:18am
Karen James

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post

(And don't get me started talking murrini...I swear I could write a book! )
I wish you would! I would buy it in a heart beat!!!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG