AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-05-13, 9:47am

I have actually made some for my son using a large mandrel. I still have issues with getting the glass nice and even and the mandrel helps with keeping the glass even - I eyeballed the dimensions by placing the mandrel next to a guage he used. I put a small ridge on each end. I have been meaning to get back to that and haven't. He liked having the option of hollow guages.

SRA #C88

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by woozles; 2010-05-13 at 9:48am. Reason: added info about how I
Old 2010-06-05, 5:56pm

Here's a little rundown for flesh tunnels, I've only done it a few times but it might help someone out.

Start with piece of tubing with a point handle and closed on the other side.

decorate tubing however you want your final piece to look.

at this point i generally clear encase with rod or sleeve with some standard wall thats a bit larger so that the metals and chemicals that are in the colored glass are will not be making contact with your skin.

heat the whole thing up and do a tube pull out of it. make sure to pay attention to the size because the final size will be whatever size your tube pull is.

this is where one would let the tube pull cool and then take it to the tile saw or glass bandsaw and cut it up into 1/2 to 3/4 sections (larger depending on how much you want sticking through on each side)

Pre-heat the sections in the oven and punty up to one of the cut edges, or if you have nice cold seals you can punty up to the barrel so that you can ream each side at the same time without changing puntys.
use your bowl push, reamer, triangular flare tool, whatever your comfortable with and ream each side out slightly.

remove punty and throw in the oven.

you could also work off the tube pull if you don't have a saw, it just makes it a bit more challenging.

I've never worked any soft glass so i wouldn't know where to start there.

for talons like some of the previous pictures i recommend bending upwards to prevent stress in the glass.

if you have contemporary lampworking (will have to check whether its Vol. I or II.) they have a write up in there for making hollow beads off tubing, which is the same concept.
Old 2010-06-06, 8:44am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
I've never made one but I wonder if they can be made on a larger mandrel so they would be hollow in the middle and thus lighter?
I have seen them in shops like this.. they are cool because you can hang things from the hole once they are in your ear like 2 earrings in one!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-06-18, 8:03am

Want to add that if you make the solid plugs that are double flared... Be careful how big you make the back flare. I got a pair in after some work but had to take tile nippers to the front flare to cut them off because the back flare was too large.

Old 2011-06-06, 3:41pm

Default HELP!!!

ok, im trying to gauge my ear and i have a gage like that dude showed in the picture with the fish in it. How do you get it in if both ends are bigger than the center (size of caper also) HELP!
Old 2011-06-21, 9:28pm
don't burn your fingers!

I totally did not answer the earlier question to me. the question was if I worked my gauge ear rings a little at a time, or if I did them in one big stretch. I actually did them in little sections. I never found a picture, but will do more soon, and post then.
Old 2011-06-22, 2:49am
Hobby Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleytatt View Post
ok, im trying to gauge my ear and i have a gage like that dude showed in the picture with the fish in it. How do you get it in if both ends are bigger than the center (size of caper also) HELP!
To wear flares, you usually have to buy (or make) a size smaller than you normally wear.

Old 2013-01-13, 6:12am

not sure if anyone is still looking for info on this topic.. but I found this video which I thought was decent. I like the graphite plug size thing they have, will look into making one
http://www.myspace.com/video/o22/mak...gment/17709534
Old 2013-01-15, 9:40am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooVixen View Post
not sure if anyone is still looking for info on this topic.. but I found this video which I thought was decent. I like the graphite plug size thing they have, will look into making one
http://www.myspace.com/video/o22/mak...gment/17709534
Wow, that guy does a great job explaining the process. Lots of people do demos, but not everyone does such a thorough job of the play-by-play. Nice video. Makes me want to try some for my nephews.

Old 2013-01-15, 10:41am
pedal as fast as you can

Thanks for the link. Great tut.

Old 2013-12-05, 9:03am
Mr Brutus RIP

The video is gone now. I had seen it before but had no luck finding the guy or graphite tool. I was hoping it was something he sold. I wonder, if he is no longer around, perhaps it's something Donna could make? Her rollers Re fantastic so I bet she could make an awesome tool for plugs!

Old 2013-12-05, 11:59am
Bead semi-newbie

i just watched the video so it is still available at some level. yeah, having that graphite slab with the different gauge sizes drilled into it would be wonderful.
LOVE silver glass