Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-09-23, 1:58am
Enjoying Life!

Default Bead release for boro?

What kind of bead release is good for boro? I use Fusion bead release for soft glass.

Thanks,
Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ SRA #T62
Old 2009-09-23, 3:23am

I use Fusion for boro. Works great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2009-09-23, 4:41am

I use Foster Fire Heavy Duty. I like it better than the Smooth and Tuff formula for boro.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-09-23, 5:46am
ManBearPig

Sludge Plus. I bought Foster Fire twice and both jars dried up solid within a week of opening them. Dried out to the point where no matter how much water I added or how much I mixed them, they would never reconstitute.

Old 2009-09-23, 7:57am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Fusion. LOVE it!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-09-23, 8:29am
The Battle of Boro Boro

Dirty Looie's - It's always been my go to.

Old 2009-09-23, 8:54am
Powers Art Studio

Dip-N-Go Sludge works great for me for both soft glass and boro. Only tried a few bead releases so far but sludge is my favorite

Old 2009-09-23, 10:08am

I've used Fusion for years--tried many others, but it's worked the best for me using boro.
Old 2009-09-23, 2:55pm
Enjoying Life!

Thanks for the help, guess I'm set for bead release!

~ SRA #T62
Old 2009-09-23, 7:55pm
boro color bender

Sludge Plus... love it!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-09-24, 1:05pm

I discovered this on Etsy recently and absolutely love it. It is my favorite so far. I add a little water occasionally and it says to on the bottle. I have always had problems with cracking and flaking no matter what I used but this doesn't. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=30273370

Old 2009-09-24, 2:17pm

I was a Sludge plus fan until I tried Dip and Go Sludge. Also fusion is very close to dip and go.
Scott

ESTY
Old 2009-09-24, 6:35pm
Enjoying Life!

When I was new to lampworking, I always had problems. I thought it was me. After a few months, I had to buy some more mandrels, cuz I kept melting them. Lo and behold, I started breaking the release again. Now, I try to scrub them up with SOS pads when they are new. The more "used" they are, the less cracking I have.
I'll check out that link on Etsy too.
Thanks everyone!

~ SRA #T62
Old 2009-09-24, 6:48pm
Xstatic

boy, am I glad that you started this thread laura. I have been torching for a couple of years now with soft glass, just started trying to make boro beads and was having a heck of a time! Will most definitely be trying another release than the one I am using. Thanx
Gail

'A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner'
Old 2009-09-29, 8:05pm

I just bought some Dirty Looie's. That stuff is pretty thin! I'm letting it dry overnight but if it works as good as it says in a boro flame it should go a LONG way and be well worth the money.

Old 2009-09-29, 11:56pm
Enjoying Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampworkLori View Post
I just bought some Dirty Looie's. That stuff is pretty thin! I'm letting it dry overnight but if it works as good as it says in a boro flame it should go a LONG way and be well worth the money.

Thanks, let us know how it works!

~ SRA #T62
Old 2009-09-30, 5:12am
The Battle of Boro Boro

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I use it to do really long work time piece and I have yet to have it let go on me.

Old 2009-10-01, 6:59am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

I will swear by Foster Fire. Whether Heavy Duty or Smooth & Tuff they both hold up quite well to all the glasses!
Old 2009-10-12, 12:40pm

All righty.. drum roll, please... After about 30 mandrels of Dirty Looie's and boro beads, sometimes two beads on one mandrel, I would advise that you stay with what you like. If you do big focals and can easily keep the flame off the mandrel you'll be okay. But, I got more flaking than I think I should have. Kapisch?

Old 2009-10-13, 1:34am
Enjoying Life!

Thanks for the info Lori!
I tried bucket of mud and got flaking too. My fusion is so low that I had to mix it with others that were low too. The next time I try boro, I'll try it again. Maybe it was the mandrels, who knows...

~ SRA #T62
Old 2009-10-13, 8:33am

You know, maybe I'll leave the cap off for a while and let it dry up a bit and try it again. I got a 32 oz bottle, so I might as well try that. Yeah, I mix all kinds of things together! I have some old Alice's in powder form that I put in just about everything to make it stretch when the bottle is getting low! lol!

Old 2009-10-13, 12:39pm

Count me in as a Dirty Louie fan ;-D

Old 2009-11-27, 3:15am
heating up

Great thread, thaks for starting it.

I make pieces just under an inch thick which take on average and hour to melt, so you can guess how happy I am when the bead release " releases the BEAD" half way through encasing!

Regular Foster Fire is useless for boro unless you make small/fast pieces. I also tried Bucket of Mud which is my favorite for soft but does not work well with boro. I am going to get Fusion to try. Not much choice in Europe, but hopefully this one will do the job.

flickr:

etsy:

tools:
Old 2009-11-27, 6:40am

I am a newbie so take my comments for what they are worth. I have only tried Dirty Louie's. It does seem to flake up a lot on me. I am not ture if I am doing something wrong or it is is the way it is supposed to work. It cleans out really well and I have never had to use any type of a reamer to clean it out. I have had beads stick tho so I tried double dipping which helps. The flaking is the biggest problem I see with it.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/howardartglass
Old 2009-11-27, 10:50am
Dix Harrison

The "Best" brand of bead release is the only one I have tried that does not flake. Solid as can be. Can't dilute it too much though. Didn't know it was available through etsy. I got it through Mountain Glass or Sundance I think? Or maybe ABR?
Old 2009-11-27, 10:56am
Enjoying Life!

Update: I did find that my new mandrels, despite scrubbing them with sos pads, dawn soap and scotchbrite pads were releasing beads more than my old mandrels. After using them on soft glass a few times, they are much better though. I did buy a new bottle of Fusion and it's my favorite so far. I'll use the bucket of mud on soft glass, I love how it cleans out so easily!

~ SRA #T62
Old 2009-11-27, 11:04am
Enjoying Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharrison View Post
The "Best" brand of bead release is the only one I have tried that does not flake. Solid as can be. Can't dilute it too much though. Didn't know it was available through etsy. I got it through Mountain Glass or Sundance I think? Or maybe ABR?
It's on sale at Mountain Glass Arts right now. Here's a link: http://www.mountainglassarts.com/s.n...tegory.4863/.f

~ SRA #T62
Old 2009-11-28, 10:51pm

I had a big bead release problem when I started boro. Have tried them all & Sludge Plus works best for me. (I can burn thru the mandrel before the release flakes!)

If I am running low, I mix Fusion & SP equally and it passes.

Jolene
Old 2009-11-29, 12:00pm
Enjoying Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellagirl View Post
I had a big bead release problem when I started boro. Have tried them all & Sludge Plus works best for me. (I can burn thru the mandrel before the release flakes!)

If I am running low, I mix Fusion & SP equally and it passes.

Jolene
Thanks Jolene! Mountain Glass Arts has Sludge Plus on sale too!
http://www.mountainglassarts.com/s.n...tegory.2739/.f

~ SRA #T62