Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-11-07, 11:48am
Covered in glitter

Default Heat question

Not sure what else to call this...I want to make some flowers and I need to make separate component parts and then fuse them to the piece. I'm not sure what to do to keep them warm enough so they don't shatter when I put them back into the flame. Can I just lay them on the top edge of the kiln? It gets pretty warm. Or what about a candle warmer? I want to use something that I already have if possible. Any suggestions other than those 2 things?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-11-07, 12:02pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I use one of the gold n hot heaters - it gets around 900 degrees so it works perfectly. I put mine on top (make sure to get the flat top version).

http://texasbeautysupplies.com/gohotjucehes.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-11-07, 12:40pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

How thick are the pieces? If they are about 1/8" I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 2009-11-07, 1:51pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

If it's under the 950 so degrees that is boro's strain point it really doesn't matter. The molecules aren't moving anyway so rapid heating may cause breakage. To be safe, put your components in your kiln until you are ready for assembly. Even better...make sure to anneal them before your assembly...esp if it is a multiple torch session creation.

TRUST ME ON THIS ONE....NOTHING is worse than finally getting to the assembly stage of a project and having your pieces um....go to pieces. It sucks.

Old 2009-11-07, 3:04pm
Harold Williams Cooney

that hot warmer thing is the bomb, I have one and thanks to this post, I'm about to own two.

thank you, squid.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-11-07, 9:27pm
Covered in glitter

Check around before you get the warmer thingie. I found the same one for 37 bucks on Amazon. Thanks Squid!

I'm just going to make small parts so I can probably just put them in the kiln but I hate getting things back out. I always burn myself.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-11-07, 10:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
Check around before you get the warmer thingie. I found the same one for 37 bucks on Amazon. Thanks Squid!

I'm just going to make small parts so I can probably just put them in the kiln but I hate getting things back out. I always burn myself.
yes, you can find them cheaper

That's why I love the warmer - the one with the flat top is so easy to use.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-11-09, 6:43pm
Pyromaniac

I put my pieces in the kiln at 1050 for a while, then take them out and assemble them.
If I am doing a big piece, I sometimes get nervous and will put it in there and let everything relax a little, then take it out and begin again.

If you work fast enough, you could put it all together pretty quickly without doing this. For example, if you are making thin leaf shaped petals and hot welding them together on a base of glass, I doubt they will crack if you are just heating the base of the petals to fuse them.

You can also put them on your torch marver if it gets hot enough, my barracuda marver keeps things pretty warm but it is small.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-11-10, 4:55pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
You can also put them on your torch marver if it gets hot enough, my barracuda marver keeps things pretty warm but it is small.
you took the words right out of my mouth..

just when I was a kissing....