Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-11-09, 3:23pm
Senior Moment

Default Yin Yang Pendant

A friend wants a yin yang pendant. Does anybody have any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-11-09, 3:48pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

Lot of people do ying / yang milli's. I have some that are way cool but the ying /yang are small surrounded by stars. Also there might be some dichro images at ABR

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-11-09, 4:00pm
Senior Moment

Thanks Dave. I thought about etching dichroic and fusing a pendant, but she is really looking for a "classic" boro pendant shape with the design being the whole pendant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-11-09, 5:10pm

it's not the classic black/white one, but you could try making a maria, lay down color half on one side another color on the other side then.... do a twist in the middle of one of the halves in one direction and the other in the opposite direction....I've made some that way and they look.... yin/yangish....
Old 2009-11-10, 3:19pm
product of the universe

I have a bunch of yin yang milli if you need some. http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...mageID=9889392

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-11-10, 4:53pm
Senior Moment

Thanks for the ideas. Chris....what COE are the murini?

Old 2009-11-10, 5:55pm
product of the universe

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-11-10, 7:35pm
Bliss Junkie

you could to a small batch of milli yourself, and just dont pull it down that far... then it'd be easy to lens up and make into pendants

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2009-11-10, 8:54pm

Doesn't "Making Glass Beads" by Cindy Jenkins have a tut on ying-yang beads?
Old 2009-11-11, 7:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEW View Post
Doesn't "Making Glass Beads" by Cindy Jenkins have a tut on ying-yang beads?
I looked and didn't see one.

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2009-11-11, 9:37am
Attack of the Snuggie!

You might try this its a dichro image you can suck up into a pendant marble or whatever.

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...oducts_id=2627

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-11-11, 12:44pm

OK, let me see if I can try and explain how Cosmo told me how to do it. Of course that was using 104, but the principal is the same for boro, right? Start by making a bead in black about half the size of the pendant you want to wind up with. Next put a bead in white the same size right up against the black. heat them up to make one large bead with the "equater" running around the bead at right angle to the mandrel. Once you have it sufficiently round, take your mashers and flatten it or press with a marver on another marver. You should wind up with a flat cabechon type thing with the mandrel running through it. Next decide which side you want to be the fat side of the black and take your white and put a dot about half-way up from the equator. Turn the flattened disc over and put another white dot about half-way up on the back side just like the first side. Next, put a black dot about half-way down from the equator in the white. Turn it over and do the same for the other side. Melt in these dots and they should push the equator into the oposite color. You may have to go back and add more dots on top of the previous dots to obtain the desired curve effect.

Hope this works. I don't remember if I tried it with boro, but it does work with 104.

Greg

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2009-11-11, 3:15pm
Senior Moment

More good ideas.....thanks. I think I may will try a combination of Wonkers and Greg's suggestions. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Old 2009-11-11, 5:58pm

I actually went downstairs and tried to do this myself and I believe you will have to add black dotsto the black and white dots to the white initially until you get the desired shape. Then you can go back and put white in the black and black in the white.I just takes too much to make this stuff move.

Greg

Old 2009-11-12, 8:21pm
daughter and I

Hey Lysa, got that yin yang done yet? Pics.....lol

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2009-11-13, 3:14pm
Senior Moment

Hey Val.....not yet....I have a craft show this weekend. It'll be Sunday before I get to the torch. Did you sign up for Spring???

Old 2009-11-13, 5:41pm

hiyas, thought I'd share this technique I worked out actually a couple of days before this thread popped up. I made this with dark cobalt and egyptian white sands. EWS isn't a pure white to start with, but I also used a fumy colour for the bail, so the white got a bit dirty looking on the surface. Nothing a little sandblast can't fix

the trick is to keep things straight and to not twist the colour where not wanted. So turn evenly!!!

I hope my little Paint drawings make sense. The blue are the punties.

1. select a few centimeters of two opposing colours (black and white probably)

2. attach a punty on either side and melt them into a rod with two halves. With this tech I use a fatter punty (9 or 10mm) on the left and a smaller diameter punty on the right. No reason for the smaller right hand punty other than my own preference. The left hand punty needs to be thicker though because it will be part of the bulk of the pendant as you will see.

3. do a bout a half twist, no less. rather err a little on the side of a little more twist. Make sure you use a small flame just on the bit near your left punty and not to heat up more

4. once the twist is done, push a maria on the left hand side, making sure the clear of the punty is covered with colour. This will enable you to do a reasonable sized pendant.

5. once you've established a base, heat and push on the rest of the colour ... remember though, after the first intended twist ... no more twisting ... you need to turn spot on and have it on center.

6. flame cut somewhat into the colour, pull straight off, while keeping turning steadily and evenly (have I mentioned the importance of not twisting??)

7. hold the left punty back down front up a bit to allow the colour to melt in on itself.

once there, you can use a marble mold to get a hemisphere, attach a little punty on the apex, remove the left punty. now you have the choice of switching axis and flattening the pendant like I did, or just leave it as a dome. attach loop, add the "eye" dots and now you have a yin yang pendant ... I suggest using a non fuming colour for the bail (unlike me) to avoid discolouring your pendant.

hope that all made sense.
cheers
Chris
Attached Images

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.

Last edited by wickedglass; 2009-11-13 at 6:40pm.
Old 2009-11-13, 5:52pm

here's another pendant (a little off subject) using the same technique with some of momka's cane, from memory it was apache. lots more back and forth twists (wig wag) and a green wrap around this.
both this and the yin yang are just over an inch in diameter,

cheers
Chris
Attached Images

Running a
Old 2009-11-13, 8:29pm
Senior Moment

Thanks Chris.....that's exactly what I'm looking for! I will give it a try on Sunday.

Old 2009-11-15, 7:32pm
Senior Moment

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and instructions. This is what I came up with this morning....

Left to right is the order in which they were made......it seems smaller..........can be better!!

Old 2009-11-15, 9:20pm
Pyromaniac

Love it. Great tutorial & Great results!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-11-16, 3:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysa View Post
Thanks to everyone for their ideas and instructions. This is what I came up with this morning....

Left to right is the order in which they were made......it seems smaller..........can be better!!

that's the way, uhu uhu!

Running a
Old 2009-11-16, 5:08pm
Senior Moment

Old 2009-11-16, 5:55pm

Great job!!!

Old 2009-11-17, 4:07pm
Senior Moment

Thanks Kim....I'm happy with how they turned out. But it was Chris' instructions that made it possible.

Old 2009-11-17, 8:11pm

Lysa, yours certainly turned out much better than mine. I only got to try one and it definitely did not look Yin-Yangy. It was just a black and white blob. I won't even waste the time to take a photo of it.

Yours look great.

Greg

Old 2009-11-17, 9:42pm
I need more boro stuff

Nice, Lysa.

Old 2009-11-17, 9:59pm
Boro Bum

OK who out bid me on the yin yang mold from ebay ? hmmm lots of people around here talking about yin yang's so its a good chance it was one of you guys ???
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
but i still know it was one of you

AcidFly
Old 2009-11-18, 4:00pm
Senior Moment

Thanks Yunita and Greg. Acidfly.........yin yang mold?????

Old 2009-11-19, 12:41am
Boro Bum

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220508075121

I Thought this would be great, but i was to slow on my bid and its a shame he says its the only 1 he is going to make