Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-01-10, 4:08pm
No Longer an LE Member

Cool Too long on the torch?

bye

Last edited by Dr Bill; 2013-08-03 at 7:32am.
Old 2013-01-10, 4:40pm
Senior Moment

When was the last time you had your eyes examined?

And 10 hours is a long time to be doing ANYTHING! How often do you take breaks? Maybe doing things during the breaks which require mid to long distance vision might help? You're asking an awful lot of your near vision; I wonder if your eye muscles are having a hard time moving out of a near vision position due to the length of time they are being asked to stay that way?

Just some thoughts/ideas,
Alli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-01-10, 4:40pm

Would you work on a computer this long without taking a break? Consider the H&S advice that computer users are given - take frequent breaks, rest your eyes by focussing on different distances, remember to blink, & check your posture and lighting! (& remember eyes do change as you get older)
Old 2013-01-10, 6:01pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bill View Post
I am using my Phillips Didymium 202 with COE 104 and adding flip down shade 3 over the didymium glasses so they can be worn over my glasses.
You're using 202's and shade 3 together for 104 coe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-01-10, 6:18pm

Have you cleaned your glasses lately?
Besides taking a few breaks and letting your eye rest a bit talk with your opthomologist.
Old 2013-01-10, 6:19pm

You need a Doctor. No matter what glasses I was wearing, there would be no way I could torch for that long. My eyes would surly give out and I have no issues with my eyes. I think they would pop out of my head.

Old 2013-01-10, 6:40pm
No Longer an LE Member

Red face oops

bye

Last edited by Dr Bill; 2013-08-03 at 7:32am.
Old 2013-01-10, 6:55pm
Storm Queen

No, I wouldn't wear both. I thought maybe you were. I can only tolerate about 4 hours on the torch with at least one 20 minute break. Mostly it's my back that can't handle it. However, before I got my new glasses, I did have eye issues due to the brightness of the silver glass I use. Those issues are gone now. 10 hours is a long time at the torch. At least take a nice break every couple of hours.

Old 2013-01-10, 9:30pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I torch 2-3 hours and my eyes get tired. I'm 48 and have to now wear prescription glasses for fine stuff but wear magnifiers at the torch. I try to take a little break in between every 2 or 3 beads, have a drink, stand up, look around..... I can't imagine what my eyeballs would feel like after 10 hours..........thats if I had any left LOL

Old 2013-01-11, 5:24am
Now part of the Dark Side

For me torching is about the same as working. I'm a programmer so I've got my nose stuck in a monitor all day. I do take a quick break every 30-45 minutes, mostly for my back and legs. Get up go to the bathroom, refill the coffee or get a drink of water. I do the same at work only the quick breaks are about an hour apart. I recently purchased an Ott light, will use it tomorrow when I torch to see if it makes a difference.
Old 2013-01-11, 6:00am
Redheaded Thread Killer

I agree with others that you should be resting/taking a break every so often. I also maybe would suggest eye drops? I found that torching a lot would dry my face/eyes out quite a bit, and not sure if that could also be part of the problem. Lastly, I put a black (spray painted with engine paint) fireproof backer board behind my torch area which really helped me see what I was doing, but also helped it from seeming so bright all over the place. (Added contrast to field of vision.)

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2013-01-11, 6:28am

I wear bifocals, so I get a separate pair with just my reading prescription for the torch. If you don't have astigmatism, readers from the drug store would work as well and would be a low-cost way to figure out if that's your problem. I think it is, but I'm a beadmaker, not an optometrist.

I work long hours at the torch, too. My set up is comfortable, so I don't have to move because of aches, but getting a drink or fooling with the dog breaks up my sessions so that I do rest my eyes by focusing on different distances.

Playing games on the cell phone wrecks gives me the same focusing problem--even more reason not to waste that time!

Good luck,

Nolly
Old 2013-01-11, 6:31am

I strongly second the suggestion on eyedrops. You eyes will dry out, contributing to your problems. You are also likely suffering from a certain amount of eye fatigue/strain. You should stop and refocus at different distances several times during your day. You won't lose that much work and your eyes will thank you for it.

Robert
Old 2013-01-11, 6:49am
No Longer an LE Member

Wink Me a workaholic?

bye

Last edited by Dr Bill; 2013-08-03 at 7:31am.
Old 2013-01-11, 7:02am

I too was going to say that you probably need both to refocus your eyes on something farther away from time to time (just glance at the wall or something every few minutes) and hydrate. I know when I concentrate I forget to blink so my eyes get both tired and dehydrated.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2013-01-11, 8:26am
Sith Lord

either 3/5 splits or 5's and strong lighting in the studio. it's a touchy subject so ill let you do your own research, but the quality of glasses from one manufacturer to another makes a huge difference.
Old 2013-01-11, 9:18am

Depending on the distance the cling lenses may help, they are easily used like reader on the inside of your shades. I think the strongest is a +2.5
Old 2013-01-11, 9:46am
Previously silverfaeriedesigns

Take breaks, and visit your eye doc if you feel like its your vision and not the length of time straining you.
As for drops, my boss (an optometrist) always suggests you go to your eye doctor even for stuff like eye drops, they really do know everything about eyes

~

~

Nortel Minor with oxycon and NG
Old 2013-01-11, 12:45pm

I'll be the third person to mention good lighting.
Old 2013-01-11, 1:17pm
Lampworkaholic!

Try the 20 20 20 rule. Every 20 minutes look 20 feet away for 20 seconds.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-01-11, 4:40pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Can it be farther than 20 feet? I have nothing to focus on indoors that's farther than 20 feet, and everything to focus on out the window is 40+ feet away. But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Try the 20 20 20 rule. Every 20 minutes look 20 feet away for 20 seconds.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-01-11, 5:48pm

You've been given some excellent advice....I can't torch long either...my eyes are dry and then after I put everything away...it's takes a while for my "normal" vision to return...it 's called...Accommodation..google it out......as we got older, takes longer...*he, he* TAKE SOME LONG BREAKS..... That is a humongous time to torch...Gee
Even for a person so driven....Your eyes come first....Let us know how you are doing. Lo.

Wolflo(Lois)

Last edited by wolflo; 2013-01-12 at 1:04pm.
Old 2013-01-11, 6:11pm
Senior Moment

Yes Aimee. What you want is a minimum of 20 feet away; you're looking to use your eye muscles for distance and give them a break from close work.

HTH
Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-01-12, 1:38am
Can't you see I'm busy???

My eye doctor recommended Refresh Plus eye drops by Allergan. They are just saline solution with no preservatives. Great stuff for dry eyes.

Also, be sure you are staying hydrated while at the torch, drinking from a covered container.

And, magnifiers sure do help! (I'm 66!)
Old 2013-01-12, 3:18am
Unmedicated since '62

Jeez my back would go out before my eyes!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-01-13, 8:46pm
Burning through glass

Make sure you're getting some fresh air in there as well as some breaks. Ventilation is just as important for your working environment!!

FWIW, My eyes get tweaky after a couple hours worth of work, know your limits....don't suffer!!

Your regular didy's should be just fine for soft glass work... we all get eye strain and stress after awhile at the torch....again, just know your own limits and take breaks...slow down Turbo!

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2013-01-13 at 8:54pm.
Old 2013-01-13, 8:57pm
Burning through glass

.....and I should say...welcome to your new addiction!!! Glass is so wonderful!

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2013-01-15, 11:22am

My eyes do the same thing after torching for a long time and eye drops really help. I use something called natural tears as my eyes dry out especially in the dry winter conditions here in the Shuswap. I don't take enough breaks but I think I will set timer on my phone and force myself to.

Old 2013-01-16, 2:43am
Naysayer

That's just insane, don't sit that long :O it's not good for you at all!

Take care of yourself!!
Old 2013-01-16, 8:02am

Default eyes not working right...

I have really dry eyes which messes up my vision. The heat of the torch intensifies this. I have to use rewetting drops and remember to take breaks and drink a lot of water. Hope this is helpful and it is nothing more than needing to rest them and lubricate them more often.