Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-11, 5:46pm

Default Help-Black 104 hazy

Hi, I am having trouble with some on my black rods. I do not know what brand the troublesome ones are. I do not want to order them again. Has any one else had trouble with the black 104 rods turning hazy. Is it something I am doing wrong? I really seems like the rods react differantly, with me doing the same thing to each. Has anyone pinpointed the brand which hazes? Or is it a bad batch? I have done some beautiful beads with the black background, which are ruined due to the haze. I do not think I got the left one in each photo hotter or closer to the flame.I am going to try to show with a photo.Thanks for any input!!
Mimi
www.lilacwindartglass.etsy.com
Old 2008-12-11, 5:53pm
Happy 10 a.m.!

Lilac - I'm not sure how to fix that but I think if you post it in the tips,techniques and questions room it will get more views (this section is for questions about the lampwork,etc. site) Hope someone will have an answer for you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mega Minor w/propane, tanked oxy and humor
Old 2008-12-11, 5:56pm
just quincy

I have gotten some reduction haze before using silver glass on black...I'm no expert though

Little Dragon 21/Betta, tanked O2/NG
Old 2008-12-11, 8:07pm

Thanks to both of you.. I thought I was in tips, techniques and questions... and I was using silvered glass on black...
Old 2008-12-11, 8:16pm

Ok, so how can I change locations of this post? DCan I? Or do I need to start over?
Mimi
Old 2008-12-12, 7:22am
Just Bead It

I use Vet. 104 black and this happens to me quite offen. I have washed the rods, and worked further out in the flame and it still happens. I have no idea why. I don't use much silver glass because I don't have any so it might not be just that. I think I will order hades black next unless someone has a better idea.

Tamara
Old 2008-12-12, 10:57am
It's all about the color.

Try giving it a soak overnight in Pepsi or Coke. This may clear off the haze. I have no real reason for thinking this other than it's a gut reaction and it works for unwanted haze on turquoise. Please let us know if it does or does not work for you. Hopefully others will chime in with some thoughts as well.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2008-12-12, 11:08am
Heart Of Glass Beads

Vetrofond black is notorious for getting hazy like this... I hate it and will only use Effetre black or Hades (CIM). Once you get this haze, you cannot get rid of it. I use the Vet black I still have left only for base glass now...

Shine-On Glow In The Dark Glass available in 104, 96, 90 COE. PM for Details
Old 2008-12-12, 1:18pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

I get it.

Old 2008-12-12, 1:31pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

High magnesium content. Reintroduction into the flame and getting the black glowing with get rid of that. Did you accidentally order Metallic Black? There was a batch a few months ago that was super high in magnesium and silvered or hazed over.

Old 2008-12-12, 3:21pm
weird

This happens to me frequently when I get low on propane. Black (vetro and effetre both) gets it before anything else, and when I get to the very bottom of the tank, everything goes hazy and my white starts to bleed. So I only work with black on a full tank. You really can't get rid of this type of haze. I've tried everything, and I even sent some hazy black beads to a friend who likes to play with chemicals, and she couldn't get rid of it either. I don't use 104 silver glass, so in my case, that isn't the problem.

But here's the weird thing - when I get them out of the kiln, they are shiny black and just fine... until I immerse them in water to remove them from the mandrels, and that's when the haze shows up. Why this is, I don't know. I wondered if it's hard water. So I tried distilled water, and it still happens.

Like Naos pointed out, it does help to use a more oxygen rich flame, or at least staying farther out in the flame. My haze tends to be focused around the holes, so I try to remember to hit those problem areas with a little extra oxygen before putting them away.

Hope we've saved you a little grief - I've been dealing with this frustrating mystery for years!
Sarah
Old 2008-12-14, 5:55pm

Effetre black was doing that to me on my most recent order, I guess about a month ago. Reintroducing it into the flame did not help, it was burning up, even in a low flame. Bad batch I guess. I'm using that glass under other things only, like silver plum or silver foil. Not all the rods did it, so test them out first.

Old 2008-12-14, 7:12pm

Is that fuming from the silver glasses? I get that sometimes too (not always) when I have used silver glass on black - and that's what was suggested - who knows? Made sense to me though.

Last edited by debim; 2008-12-14 at 7:42pm.