Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2009-10-28, 10:53am
Experimentalist

Default I want to create an online Artisan Co-op

... but can't do it all myself.

If you're tired of ArtFire and Etsy including commercial supplies and vintage items and their total lack of respect for even trying to differentiate SRA versus non-SRA, then let me know if you'd be interested in helping me start a co-op site, run by artisans... with what WE really want to see in a selling site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-28, 10:56am
"Sinners have soul too"

I'd love to help

Old 2009-10-28, 10:57am
Formerly known as LT

Sounds like a great idea! What do you have in mind? What do you need to make it happen??

Old 2009-10-28, 11:00am
Experimentalist

I'm thinking we need members first, so that makes three of us.

Heads together and lots of input.

One of my first thoughts is: We make a list of each site and what we like and don't like about them. That seems like a reasonable starting ground for at least the foundation of how we'd want to design the site, yes?

Old 2009-10-28, 11:04am
High Maintenance

I want to help too. I can't write code but any other skills I have that can help you out just let me know.
Old 2009-10-28, 11:10am
Experimentalist

Okay, right now I'm collecting names and info.

The co-op team members can be guardians of art... if we have enough numbers, it won't be an enormous task to "police" the place, right?

But that's after we even HAVE a place. Ha ha ha!

I guess one of the first steps is to look into setting up a website and what that entails.

Old 2009-10-28, 11:16am
Experimentalist

Well, unless we want to specialize in glass and jewelry (and the like), looks like 1000 Markets is already on the ball.

They sell all handmade stuff and no non-handmade stuff.

Old 2009-10-28, 11:21am
Who me?

But me down as interested with limited time because of a non glass full time job.
Old 2009-10-28, 11:23am
And silence is golden

Old 2009-10-28, 11:26am
Experimentalist

Thanks guys... but now that I see 1000 Markets is already in existence, we'd have to find a different angle.

Some of the possibilities include:

We would be juried.

We would not include the 8-bazillion categories other places do, focusing instead on beads/jewelry/and the like.

And I forgot the third option I thought of. Ha ha ha! Sigh...

Old 2009-10-28, 11:37am

Laura is this US only or are you thinking other countries too ??

#D45

Old 2009-10-28, 11:39am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by debb View Post
Laura is this US only or are you thinking other countries too ??
Hm... dunno...

It just seems like a site RUN by artisans would have way fewer problems than the ones that seem to be run by... capitalists.

Old 2009-10-28, 11:46am
Hello?

Its funny you started this thread. Just a couple days ago I was looking into the same thing. Then I realized I already have so much on my plate I would never have time to properly run it.

I for one am sick of having to compete with commercial supplies, the ever so annoying "vintage" crap, and Chinese bead junk, that takes over every handmade venue.

Last edited by AvenueBeads; 2009-10-28 at 11:48am.
Old 2009-10-28, 11:54am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvenueBeads View Post
Its funny you started this thread. Just a couple days ago I was looking into the same thing. Then I realized I already have so much on my plate I would never have time to properly run it.

I for one am sick of having to compete with commercial supplies, the ever so annoying "vintage" crap, and Chinese bead junk, that takes over every handmade venue.
Well that's it exactly! I don't have time... so I thought maybe a co-op (I come from the land of co-ops... ha ha ha!).

But... like I said... if 1000 Markets is already doing this, no need to push so hard to get another one going.

Old 2009-10-28, 11:55am
Mr Brutus RIP

Me Me!!

Old 2009-10-28, 11:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
Hm... dunno...

It just seems like a site RUN by artisans would have way fewer problems than the ones that seem to be run by... capitalists.
Count me in then if you decide to go global

#D45

Old 2009-10-28, 12:09pm

I just pm'ed you, Laura.
Old 2009-10-28, 12:20pm
Disconnected

Yes!
Juried with an elected jury that is renewable every year!
Limited to lampwork and lampwork jewelry!
Possibility of an auction format for those who want it
International!
Yes! Yes!
I'll translate the site into French if you'd like.

Things I like about Etsy:
- the clean presentation, same for all, no gimmicks that distract buyer from what they came for: beads to buy
- the favorite lists (a great way to discover new stuff and cool people)
- I don't mind fees. Everybody's got to eat. It's greed that sucks

Things I don't like about Etsy:
- not much except all the crap that pollutes it

I don't use any other venue (hate ebay, don't dig the look of Artfire)

Old 2009-10-28, 12:26pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
Yes!
Juried with an elected jury that is renewable every year!
Limited to lampwork and lampwork jewelry!
Possibility of an auction format for those who want it
International!
Yes! Yes!
I'll translate the site into French if you'd like.

Things I like about Etsy:
- the clean presentation, same for all, no gimmicks that distract buyer from what they came for: beads to buy
- the favorite lists (a great way to discover new stuff and cool people)
- I don't mind fees. Everybody's got to eat. It's greed that sucks

Things I don't like about Etsy:
- not much except all the crap that pollutes it

I don't use any other venue (hate ebay, don't dig the look of Artfire)

I like these suggestions.

Old 2009-10-28, 12:26pm

I think you have a wonderful idea and I hope you can get it going.
I have a degree in graphic arts and I have a lot of experience in organizing and research.
If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the secret sits in the middle and knows. ~ Robert Frost
Old 2009-10-28, 12:31pm
sunscreen me baby

You might want to talk to Marilyn Peraza. She tried this sort of thing a few years ago.

http://www.perazabeads.com/index.html

~

Old 2009-10-28, 12:36pm

I just checked 1000 markets the price there is 5.5% plus .50 per sale.

We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the secret sits in the middle and knows. ~ Robert Frost
Old 2009-10-28, 12:43pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
You might want to talk to Marilyn Peraza. She tried this sort of thing a few years ago.

http://www.perazabeads.com/index.html
Thanks!

Old 2009-10-28, 12:47pm
Formerly known as LT

Does anyone hear actually like 1000 markets? I have had nothing but trouble and I was just a buyer I never got a chance to try to sell.

Old 2009-10-28, 12:47pm
Disconnected

We want it Laura! We need it! We have to make it happen. It's so disappointing to see each venue after another miss our expectations just because they're not lampworkers themselves. We need to do a ton of brainstorming to come up with the perfect place. Co-op indeed!

Old 2009-10-28, 12:53pm
Experimentalist

Well then let's do it.

I summed up some of what I think is a starting point over in the bathroom.

An international selling site of juried, well-photographed, handmade jewelry beads and findings that will be well-policed.

We have a big starting community... LE word of mouth plus the SRAJD.

Old 2009-10-28, 12:57pm
Disconnected

A beautifully designed, user-friendly, classy looking international site of juried, well-photographed, not copied handmade lampwork beads, lampwork jewelry and findings that will be fairly administrated by an elected board of members.

You're still with me?

Old 2009-10-28, 1:01pm
Experimentalist

Yeah.

I know there will be (already are?) some nay-sayers, but heck... we won't know until we try.

Old 2009-10-28, 1:02pm
Experimentalist

We need some computer expert to tell us what we need/what we're up against in getting code(?) to set up the site.

Old 2009-10-28, 1:04pm

beadartist.org already has an exclusively lampwork site... and I don't want to publicly discuss some ideas I've been throwing around for an artisan site at this stage but, I think, it has to be different.

ETA: On a purely personal level, I do wirework jewellery as well. I don't want to have to have two different places to list my art. If I did paintings, I'd want a single venue that I'm comfortable at, know how to work and access, agree with the premise for its existence etc. Others may feel the same way. There are lots of people here at LE who dabble in creative aspects that aren't exclusive to lampwork. Having said that, any site can be designed to "appear" to be exclusively one type of product offering but have various sections. (I need to stop typing now)

Last edited by Torch&Marver; 2009-10-28 at 1:13pm. Reason: forgot stuff