Old 2005-06-06, 2:31pm

Default The Blue Bead

Here's the recipe for the blue bead.

You need:
Clear
Transparent cobalt
silver foil

1. Make a base of transparent cobalt.
2. Add threaded clear stringer and melt in.
3. Wrap in silver foil and burnish.
4. Apply more threaded clear stringer.
5. Melt in slowly, watching for the robin's egg blue reaction.
6. Case with clear, keeping the base bead out of the flame.

You must be sitting right in your chair, the stars in the right alignment, and holding your mouth right. In other words, this is a really hard chemical reaction to reproduce.

Threaded Stringer

Heat a small gather of glass.
Out of flame, touch the gather to your bead and spin your bead to pull out thin strands of glass.

Attached Images

Last edited by sarakay; 2007-04-07 at 12:00pm. Reason: Added pictures of threaded stringer
Old 2005-06-06, 3:08pm
One Crazy Mama

thank you soooooo much for posting this yet again!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-06-06, 3:12pm
In search of her path....

I have to ask how in the HELL do you get such a nice even THIN casement of clear? Im VERY envious of that
Old 2005-06-06, 3:58pm
Moving On

sigh.......this is so beautiful!

Old 2005-06-06, 5:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF-Designs
I have to ask how in the HELL do you get such a nice even THIN casement of clear? Im VERY envious of that
It's not that thin, it just looks like it on TV. Here's the bead photographed in water...see? I fixed an uneven bead with the casing.
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-06, 6:37pm
Pink-tini anyone?

Sara, what a gorgeous bead! Thanks for sharing the recipe too!! Very nice of you..... Can't wait to get to the torch tomorrow!

Old 2005-06-06, 6:38pm
Broken

Sara I think it's really sweet of you to share this bead with us. SOMEDAY one of mine will come out looking like this

Old 2005-06-07, 10:11am
Booger #7

How yummy! I can't wait for some torch time now!

Thanks for sharing!
Sue
Old 2005-06-07, 11:14am
the 100 mans woman

Really wonderful share that is beautiful! Can't wait to try it.

Old 2005-06-09, 3:45am
Wacky but Wonderful

Sara, that's a beautiful bead - I can't believe the ingredients are so simple. That blue just really pops.

-

Old 2005-06-10, 5:56am

What a magnificent bead Sara! When you say "threaded stringer" do you mean stringer that is very very thin?
Old 2005-06-13, 5:50am
Detail G-Mama!

Sara I really love that bead and blue is one of my fav colors!! I gave it a whack and here is what I came up with yesterday! Yours still looks much better!!
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-13, 7:44am
MomOnAMission

Sarakay!! That is GORGEOUS!!! I'll have to give it a try too... I'm quite sure tho, mine will NOT look like yours or Anne's! It would be fun to see everyone try it & post their results!
Old 2005-06-13, 8:06am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

A question about threaded clear.....what is it? Clear stringer pulled extremely thin? Clear that is silvered similar to the silvered ivory process??? Inquiring minds want to know....thanks for a GREAT tutorial and a FABULOUS blue bead!

Old 2005-06-13, 8:22am
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Irish Girl
A question about threaded clear.....what is it? Clear stringer pulled extremely thin? Clear that is silvered similar to the silvered ivory process??? Inquiring minds want to know....thanks for a GREAT tutorial and a FABULOUS blue bead!
What I did with mine was heat up the clear rod, touch it to the bead and then turn the bead. It gets pretty thin lines that way.

Last edited by Anne Ricketts; 2005-06-13 at 8:27am.
Old 2005-06-13, 10:14am
I'm a lilac!

Wow Sara... that bead is GORGEOUS! I want to go try it now. Thanks for sharing the technique!

Old 2005-06-13, 10:15am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
I really like the idea of silvered clear... I bet some wonderful effects can be acheived using it, if not on this bead than in other applications. Thanks for the great idea!

Old 2005-06-13, 12:37pm

I love using silvered clear!!

Old 2005-06-13, 4:07pm

Quote:
Threaded stringer is when you heat a small gather of glass and barely touch it down on your bead. Then you turn your bead quickly to draw out a tiny thread of clear. It takes some practice, but you can get really thin, delicate lines with this technique.
Old 2005-06-13, 4:09pm

Anne, I love your bead! And thanks everybody for saying nice things about my bead. I looked it up in the ISGB archives. I made that bead in May of 2000 and haven't really been able to make one as nice since then.
Old 2005-06-13, 5:24pm
Brandie

Simply put....I'm

Brandie

150/144/120
Old 2005-06-14, 3:00am

Default Aligning the planets

Beautiful bead -- I tried, and haven't seen final results yet but it doesn't look like I got much. That was before the explanation of what a threaded stringer was, so I'll try again next week. One question -- do you use a lot of the stringer, so it covers most of the cobalt and then the silver, or do you keep it sparse?

Thanks for posting this --

Last edited by beadbroad; 2005-06-14 at 3:00am. Reason: clarification
Old 2005-06-14, 10:31am

The link doesn't work anymore.

Last edited by sarakay; 2007-02-19 at 11:19am. Reason: removed link
Old 2005-06-14, 1:35pm

Default picorama

GREAT! That really helps. I did it all wrong.
Old 2005-06-15, 9:25am
a controlled pyromaniac

That is beautiful!!! I am goign to give it a try the next time I torch !!!
Old 2005-08-04, 9:22pm

I love this bead !!!! I have tried it twice and going to try again. I got two very cool mottled amber bead. Going to try again.

Cathy
Old 2005-08-05, 6:52am
Who me?

I saw this bead at the Gathering - itis awesome. I am going to have to try this technique again. hugs.
Old 2005-08-05, 7:18am

YIPPY ~ tried it again and got some blue (with amber mixed in for good measure. Just got to try again. I am making cylinders and thought that maybe I had too much class but the one that "worked" is a cylinder as well.

Cathy
Old 2005-08-06, 3:50pm

That is an awsome bead! Thanks for posting this tutorial!
Old 2005-08-17, 8:45am

Hello Sarakay,
what a great tutorial and of course what a beautiful bead!
I tried it with transparent red and got som blue reactions but forgot to encase it
Silvia

Last edited by Tami; 2005-09-18 at 11:46pm.