Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-11-18, 6:15pm
boro color bender

Damn Samma, it's coming along... this one kinda looks like a teapot too. in mid pour no less.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-11-18, 9:40pm

I love the bra! Wow what a lot of work.

Samma, your hearts are very unique. They'll be great when you get the shape down. That color is beautiful.
Old 2008-11-19, 9:27am

Helloooo, here's what I did in November:
My sweetheart surprised me with an early b'day present and swept me off to Japan. Japan's way way cool, we saw places that wherever you looked was a perfect aspect! The food was weird and delicious and we ate everything from raw sea cucumber and octopus to fish guts. Just the chunks of tuna from the supermarket were sashimi quality ... so we bought that and made our own .... frequently! yummy with freshly grated wasabi ... imagine what the restaurant fare was like!!!

We went to the Kobe Lampwork Museum who hooked us up with Akihiro Ohkama, one of Japan's best know flameworkers. He works in satake as well as boro glass and his marbles are some of the finest around. He invited us over to his studio for me to do a collab with him. We travel easy, so plans tend not to lock us into anything to heavily so we headed his way, spent the night in a traditional Japanese inn with tatami mats in a nearby village and met up with him the next day. He'd had a class in the morning and many of his students were still there. Aki's a great guy and we had a lot of fun doing the collab. The final piece was mostly in clear, because of time factor, but we managed to get some colour bits on it. Next time there will be more time!

The castle I've posted below was amazing, too. It's the White Heron Castle, hore sommonly known as Himeji ... this castle now contains one of my marbles, hidden in a deep crack in ine of its walls.

We just got back home the day before yesterday, and we're off again today to help a flameworker friend of mine get married.

enjoy
Chris
Attached Images

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2008-11-19, 9:34am

oh, just one more, this was our first self-made sashimi dinner in Japan... tuna, salmon, crab legs, grilled calamari, octopus tentacles, sliced nashi pear and freshly made wasabi ....

cu after the wedding
Attached Images

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2008-11-19, 1:19pm
Borosapien

i See so much nice artwork amazing.
here are some of my things i like to show.

Last edited by marcel; 2008-11-19 at 2:16pm.
Old 2008-11-19, 1:34pm

Wow, nice bear and shell!
Old 2008-11-19, 1:42pm

Playing with boro.... these you may have seen cuz I posted them everywhere! I took a class with Pipyr last week and on my day (Saturday), we concentrated on eyes.

Ignore everything but the EYES. Don't cha like the eyes? I'm pleased. Still need work but I got the gist of eye canes. Cool beans!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-11-19, 2:22pm

Wow - it feels like forever since I have posted here - and have missed you all. What incredible work November brings! Here is one from me - it is a variation on some of my earlier work - this one is mostly momka glass.

Nancy
Old 2008-11-19, 9:32pm
Mandrel Slayer

Sue - those eyes are awesome. I guess I need to buy the tutorial from Pipyr.

Nancy - its good to see you back.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2008-11-19, 10:49pm

I did a few more dragons.

This one's got some thermal cracks. The tail is really long and I was demo'ing this for my son. I forgot to keep the heat on it.

My son was inspired and produced one of his own.

jgraff

Old 2008-11-20, 7:16am

I adore your dragons.... and your son looks like he created his own style, yup. Just ad wings.... I know, I know, he hasn't earned them yet??

Old 2008-11-20, 9:25pm
Spoiled

Chris, your trip pictures look awesome. You should have started a new thread just for them.

I posted these in the Gallery but wanted to show them off here too (sorry if you have to look at them again). They're just a few of the icicles I started making last week, now I can't stop.
Attached Images

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2008-11-20, 9:51pm
No Problem!

Awesome Aimee, great flow on those! Fun aren't they?

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-11-22, 6:59pm
Borovangelist

I made this little fella last night. Luckily I had the good sense to take a picture this morning when he was on my table because he sold pretty quickly

You can't really see, but I blew and pulled the nose out like a carrot.

|
|
Old 2008-11-22, 7:07pm

Chris - What a wonderful trip...looks sooo fun!
Marcel - Your bears are awesome...totally love them!
Sue - Great you got to take a class with Pipyr! Your eyes look great.
Nancy - Beautiful rich colors in that bead.
Janet - What cute little dragons. Your son did a great job on his too.
Amy - Those are just beautiful! I bought Candice's tute on ornaments today
Menty - What a cute little dude! Congrats on the quick sale.

After being thick headed about implosions....if finally gots it ;-D

Old 2008-11-22, 7:11pm
Borovangelist

Very pretty Samma! If I might ask, how big are they? Mine always come out way too large, but I'm working on it. By too large, I mean like US half dollar coin huge.

|
|
Old 2008-11-22, 7:14pm

OOOOOOooo the one in the middle. . . sometimes "thick-headed" is pretty darned good!

Vanessa
Old 2008-11-23, 4:23am

Thanks, pals. The one in the middle is my fav too. These are about 1 to 1 1/4". I started with 10mm rod, so they don't get too large. That's something I usually do too...but hey, I like big scary jewelry
Samma

Old 2008-11-23, 8:10am

Samma,

Could you share a larger picture of your avatar? There's some serious "I'm not going to sell this one" happening there.

Vanessa
Old 2008-11-23, 8:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee View Post
Chris, your trip pictures look awesome. You should have started a new thread just for them.

I posted these in the Gallery but wanted to show them off here too (sorry if you have to look at them again). They're just a few of the icicles I started making last week, now I can't stop.
I like these a lot. Mine keep turning out all wonky.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-11-23, 9:19am

Thanks Vanessa - Actually I did list that one on Etsy and someone bought it and was a "no pay". I have a tradition that when that happens, I give it away. So this one went to a good home...can't remember who. It's Solera (sp) and turquoise frit encased.

Samma

Old 2008-11-23, 9:47am

Thanks for the peek. Oh I love Solara, an underused color. What a beautiful color combo!
That turquoise turned out real pretty.

That "no pay" lost out!

Vanessa
Old 2008-11-25, 4:16pm

Thanks, Vanessa. I LOVE Solara. It really comes up with some rich colors.
Here's a pic of a new vessel I made on boro tubing to test Don (frysmith) new stopper tool. This tool is da' bomb!

Old 2008-11-25, 5:57pm
yukue fumei

WOW!!!
I was out for the week and come back to the most amazing artwork and photos of Japan!! (oooh sashimi makes me hungry!!!)

I am so in awe of you all!!!!

Lana!! WOW--If I had a better figure I would wear that outfit everyday--it is amazing! I love it!!!

nagi

Old 2008-11-26, 5:34pm

Here's last nights' efforts. This one was all over the room, on the floor, on the dog, on the table. It got a little wonky, but it sure was fun to decorate.

Everyone have a Great Holiday Weekend!!!
Samma

Old 2008-11-26, 9:09pm

Nothing highly technical here but boy are these fun to make. Gives me a chance to play with colors. Finally got my Etsy store up so I can get these sold for the holidays. They are swizzle sticks.. guess they make good hostess gifts... Filled with coffee grounds, salt, whatever....
Attached Images

Old 2008-11-27, 5:12pm
Spoiled

Kay, those swizzle sticks are really cool. I have a question about them though, are they annealed?

Old 2008-11-28, 9:33am
yukue fumei

Samma--wow that is cool!
I love the color!

Kay--love the swizzlesticks!! I love that you filled them with coffee and salt--what a cool idea!

nagi

Old 2008-11-28, 9:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee View Post
Kay, those swizzle sticks are really cool. I have a question about them though, are they annealed?
thank you Denise and Aimee.. and yes, they are annealed...

Old 2008-11-28, 11:44am
Spoiled

Cool. I would have thought the stuff inside would get too hot and burn up.