No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2014-05-09, 4:10pm

Default Exhaust Problem.....

My exhaust system is not working

It is a Zephyr Model Z10S to which I added a variable speed switch. I would love an opinion. Is it the switch or the fan? When I turn it on, it starts briefly then dies. Sometimes I turn it on and get nothing. Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-05-09, 5:29pm
honorary bead lady

The fan most likely doesnt like the variable speed switch since it is a capacitor start motor. Disconect the switch and see.
It looks from the picture like it is a multi speed fan anyway, just get a 3 position switch
Old 2014-05-09, 5:41pm

Thanks David.

I think you are right about the thing not liking the variable switch. I has worked for about 10 years, but hasn't been extremely reliable. The guy who installed it, didn't seem to like the idea of installing the switch but did it anyway.

The good news is after cleaning the dust out and securing the insulation with double edged tape, it is working again. It does seems weak. I do not believe it is in tip top shape.

Do you think installing the 3 position switch will elongate the systems life?

Old 2014-05-09, 6:09pm
honorary bead lady

Are there 4 wires coming out of the motor (thats what the pic looks like) On the plate on the motor it should have a wiring diagram something like black comm, red 1, blue 2, white 3
Old 2014-05-09, 8:30pm

Are you talking about the wires (18 ) coming off of the junction box (7)?
They will lead to the switch, which is what I need to swap out with the 3 speed one?

Old 2014-05-09, 9:32pm
honorary bead lady

It may be the variable switch that is bad

Looking at this http://brooklynfan.com/pdfs/Z05.pdf?model=Z05 you have a Z10SH 2 speed fan, while it does list a variable control in the book I would replace it with a 2 speed switch
If you cannot get one you can use a standard switch and a 3 way switch...

Old 2014-05-09, 9:59pm

You are truly awesome David! Thank you!

It is really too bad that it is 10pm Friday night. I want to dig in and get the job done!

Old 2014-05-10, 6:01am
Gentleman of Leisure

Another consideration for slow anemic fan is when was last time bearing in motor were oiled.... Get up there and look closely, does motor have oil holes near shaft/bearings.... Then maybe not, it could be sealed unit with no way to oil bearings....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal