LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2014-07-01, 12:55pm

Default Where to exit the ventilation tube?

I am trying to work out the best set up for my workspace in a caravan (the caravan is not moving anymore...)
Most of it is pretty straight forward, but I am trying to figure out what the best way is to place my ventilation.
The hood will obviously be above and in front of the flame, but what is the best way to get the air out? I have several options, regular window, ceiling window, a vent near the botton of the caravan, and maybe more. Does it make any difference how far the tube has to run before it is outside? Does it make any difference if the tube-exit is higher or lower than the hood?
Can I squeeze the tube to a smaller diameter, so it will fit through one of the openings, or does it have to be as big as the tube is?

There are plenty of windows that open to let new air in, just not that many that fit the diameter of the aluminium flexible tube. And I'm hoping I don't have to make any new holes in the caravan...
Old 2014-07-01, 1:47pm

go to this site and see her system

andrea guarino slemmons
Old 2014-07-02, 7:09am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorkasp View Post

There are plenty of windows that open to let new air in, just not that many that fit the diameter of the aluminium flexible tube. And I'm hoping I don't have to make any new holes in the caravan...

Aluminum flex tube is probably the worst material you can use for actual duct.... Many people try to use it but the efficiency of how it moves air is greatly reduced by the turbulence caused by air bumping over corrugations of tube.... Smooths wall tube and formed turns are best solution for "air" ducting...

Diameter of tube is important because it determines how much air can flow through it.... Restrict the tube by "squeezing" it down and you restrict the efficiency of ventilation.... Actually the larger the diameter the better....

Your exhaust exit point should be at least 10 feet from your fresh air source (make up air)..

Exhaust exit can be at any height as air flow is a product of your fan and nature... Fan causes a slight low pressure (vacuum) in area and since nature abhors a vacuum, it rushes air in to fill that vacuum.... But better to be up higher as nature has more time to dilute the combustion byproducts and convert them to a way the impurities can be reabsorbed into "earth cycle"...

Best solution is to keep it short and as few turns as possible, so why not just make a hole in side of "caravan" (trailer to rest of us) above hood and go directly out.... Trying to accommodate the exhaust duct to go out a window or existing vent may not be practical as length and duct type ( be sure to use smooth walled duct) may restrict ventilation to point it is not effective and you are just creating tubular wall art...

Lots of thinks effect the efficiency of your ventilation, do your research well...There is actually a lot of science behind making it work effectively...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=273
http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=22&t=150

And in general....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...dac36e4d422eac

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2014-07-02 at 7:14am.
Old 2014-07-02, 12:12pm

Thanks for your replies. It helps me to narrow down my options. The flexible tube comes with the system I thought of getting, but it should be no problem to change it to solid tubing. The exit I am now thinking of would be big enough for the tube, and be about 4 feet from the hood. I will be doing a lot of reading this weekend!
Old 2014-11-18, 12:31pm

Default Ventilation and Exhaust Question

I've enjoyed reading all the posts here and Dale, you have some very good information. I have been considering upgrading my vent system to a more focused type that catches it all right at the torch face. What I haven't seen addressed is what is actually in the exhaust that is sent outside and does it require a filter?

The regular overhead, which I have been using for 8 years, kitchen type exhaust fan, does have a filter, but these new table top style exhausts that take the flame exhaust and fumes from what we are melting and send it straight outside, don't.

Can any of you address any of the air quality issues that might be of concern as this goes out into our yards and air? Wouldn't it be better to attach some type of filter before this particulate matter and fumes exits into outside air? Does it have anything to do with the weight of these particles compared to the air we breath?

Thanks so much-