Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2015-11-29, 7:44pm

Default Flaming flies?

Ok, got a strange, and possibly gross safety question.... Sorry.

I was being invaded by mice, squirrels, etc. had to do something, they were having nightly mouse wrestling parties in the pixie dust, and knocking over everything! So.. I set out poison... Now, I have a gross smell, and a bumper crop of huge fat flies...

They keep buzzing around my work space, across my line of sight... It's just a matter of time til one of them flies into my flame!! What is going to happen?
Am I going to have big flaming kamikaze flies crashing around? Do they disintegrate, or pose a real issue?

These are the really big fat flies, not your average house fly.... Am I just being paranoid?
Old 2015-11-30, 8:31am
Phill

1) You have a dead creature somewhere around.

The flies are hatching from this and neither is healthy for humans what with all the food plates and coffee cups we tend to have sitting around us at all times.

2) To answer your specific question; things that fly through troch flames lose their wings instantly but won't actually ignite themselves so you will not have flaming missiles dropping on to your bench but you could wind up with seriously injured flies that are not yet dead.

3) It is now time to clean up and patch the entry points.

I understand steel wool and wadded up chicken wire can slow them down alot but make sure they are out of the building before you block their only exit.

That spray foam in a can stuff fills holes pretty good and I have not had any evidence that the critters will chew back through it.
Old 2015-11-30, 11:40am

Thank you speedy, I know there's something dead, I can smell it. Based on the ceased overnight chaos, I suspect it is many things dead, considering the age of the building, I doubt there is anyway to block entrances and egress. I suspect an array of mice, squirrels, and flying squirrels, due to the nocturnal activity and my former cats trophies. But now that my cat has passed away... Well.

Thanks for the comfort that the flies won't ignite and become little missiles.... That was my real concern... Can't wait until they run their life cycle, the smell goes, and I can stop burning incense all day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
1) You have a dead creature somewhere around.

The flies are hatching from this and neither is healthy for humans what with all the food plates and coffee cups we tend to have sitting around us at all times.

2) To answer your specific question; things that fly through troch flames lose their wings instantly but won't actually ignite themselves so you will not have flaming missiles dropping on to your bench but you could wind up with seriously injured flies that are not yet dead.

3) It is now time to clean up and patch the entry points.

I understand steel wool and wadded up chicken wire can slow them down alot but make sure they are out of the building before you block their only exit.

That spray foam in a can stuff fills holes pretty good and I have not had any evidence that the critters will chew back through it.
Old 2015-11-30, 12:53pm
Wonder-wench

they just burn a little then buzz around annoyingly on the table, which is a hazard (for me) as I then have to stop and put them out of their misery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-11-30, 2:33pm

Default Material to block critters entering dwelling

Hi Khaleesi,

I had the same problem with wee mousies coming into the house and having square dancing parties. I live in a woodsy area, so everyone gets the problem from time to time.

What worked very very well for me was Copper Mesh Wire. You get it on a large roll.....then stuff it up under the outside areas where the clapboards, shingles, etc. meet the foundation sill. Be generous with the amount of copper mesh. The mice do not chew through this, they did chew through the steel wool I'd used previously. After you have the mesh securely shoved in there, get some of that "swelling" foam to seal it in, otherwise, in a couple of years, it will start to degrade and fall out.....but this has literally stopped all mice from coming into the home via my basement sill areas.

Here's a link to the place I got mine from, it was $42.00 for a 100 ft. roll (that was 5 yrs. ago, so it might be more now), it's called "Stuf-Fit Copper Mesh Wool" find the shop at: http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com

Hope this helps......I think it might work well in the spaces around tubing, piping etc. to fill those gaps as well, to prevent entry. Check the dryer inside floor, mice like to get in there, then when they die, it's a nightmare with the smell.....yikes.

~peace & love
Old 2015-11-30, 8:20pm
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

That coper mesh looks cool. I wonder if you could use it with glass?
Old 2015-11-30, 10:45pm

Default mesh with glass

I don't know.....only one way to find out eh ?? I will wait to see the results......

It's somewhat fine though, hopefully it won't melt instantly.......but it would be great to discover something new, when you were only, initially, trying to keep the wee beasties out of the house ! lmaooo

Good luck
~peace & love
Old 2015-12-01, 9:20pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamw@sacoriver.net View Post
That coper mesh looks cool. I wonder if you could use it with glass?
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37491
Old 2015-12-01, 10:49pm

Default copper mesh link

WOW!! Thank you so much for this thread link on the copper mesh techniques, etc. I loved reading it all, I'm learning, a total newbie and I love exploring these tips and experiences......that was a great one

~peace & love