Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-08-17, 3:57pm

Angry Silver glass fuming pale colours

Hi, Iīm Sue AKA spiderfire, Other people seem to be able to put silver or silver glass on pale colours without it fuming and discolouring the glass underneath. I have tried encasing and that doesnīt work either. Any tips or tricks would be gratefully received!
Old 2016-08-17, 5:26pm
Phill

I have not done it myself but I remember some using coke or some other acid to remove unwanted fuming when working with silvered glass.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-08-17 at 5:54pm.
Old 2016-08-18, 1:00am

I thought that was just for removing the dark patches on turquoise.
Old 2016-08-18, 8:02am
Loving learning

Maybe a photo?
Old 2016-08-18, 9:34am
I like to melt things

Which pale colours have you tried? Some colours are more sensitive to silver and fuming than others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Old 2016-08-18, 2:03pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderfire View Post
Hi, Iīm Sue AKA spiderfire, Other people seem to be able to put silver or silver glass on pale colours without it fuming and discolouring the glass underneath. I have tried encasing and that doesnīt work either. Any tips or tricks would be gratefully received!
Which silver glass did you use? Most reducing silver glass do fume the base glass especially if it takes a long time to work the bead. Also some silver glasses fume less than others.

ETA: using acid/pickle to remove the fuming effects will also remove the silver glass ones.

|
|
|
|
Old 2016-08-21, 11:28am

I havenīt given up on this - itīs just Iīm having difficulty finding a photo of beads that have silver glass without fuming. I would like to say that I have a lot of beads of mine that I could show to say īthis is what I do not likeĻ and I will post some soon!
Old 2016-08-21, 12:18pm
Loving learning

Your beads are what I was hoping to see!
Old 2016-08-22, 3:29am
Phill

Any chance you can encase the colors you don't want to get fumed with a thin clear then add the silver glass afterward and heat it all back to roundness?

Just a thought.
Old 2016-08-23, 9:55am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
Any chance you can encase the colors you don't want to get fumed with a thin clear then add the silver glass afterward and heat it all back to roundness?

Just a thought.
The silver glass will most likely fume the clear.

|
|
|
|
Old 2016-08-23, 12:19pm
ManBearPig

I know with borosilicate colors with a high silver content, when that happens you heat the whole thing with a hot oxidizing flame and burn off the fume. Will that work?

•
•
•
Old 2016-08-23, 1:54pm
Phill

Thanks Hayley.
Old 2016-12-06, 4:22pm

Ok, here are some photos to show what I mean. The beautiful white beads were made by Ekrbeads and the others are mine!
Attached Images

Old 2016-12-07, 3:29am
Naysayer

The barrel/tube beads look fine?
The organic one, that's a lot of silver glass to not have it fume the rest, you have to waft it in and out really quick, especially on a bead drizzled in that much. If the lines and dots were raised more they wouldn't fume as much, just do it really quickly.
Old 2016-12-08, 8:59pm

Are you sure that the white beads you admire aren't decorated with a reduction glass like iris gold, instead of a silver glass?

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2016-12-08, 9:08pm
Loving learning

The bottom beads look like the petals are pale blue traNsparent, which doesn't seem to fume as much as white, ivory, etc
Old 2016-12-12, 11:51pm
Naysayer

Very true Elieen, I meant to come back and add that in. White fumes really fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
Are you sure that the white beads you admire aren't decorated with a reduction glass like iris gold, instead of a silver glass?
It still is a silver glass though, isn't it? It's just another reduction glass.
I make beads with little dots and/or scrolls, and have used both iris gold or any number of metallic reduction glasses. This can be done with DH silver glass, reichenbach, kugler etc.