Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-30, 8:40pm

Unhappy I really should label my glass!

I found a rod of what I thought was medium transparent blue in among the rubbish on my workstation, I was playing a little with ASK Desert carmellian just some stringer work over various colors some reduced some in an oxy flame some in neutral as you do!

I was dead impressed to find in my kiln the following morning that one bead in particular really stood out and caught my eye. it was med trsp blue with the ask stringer and reduced, the stringer had gone a gorgeous silver color and fumed the surrounding trsp blue to create the blue cloudy look you get with the silver glasses like OR and Kronos.

Well, I thought FAB, best make a set of those babies, after all a touch of ASK stringer and plain old med trsp blue is much cheaper than beads made of
Kronos etc!

Feeling industrious I made a big set of these bead using that rod of blue glass, I then had a strike of inspiration and wondered if it would do a similar thing with say trsp green, tried it and straight away i could see I wasn't getting the haze I'd been so impressed with! So I just though ah well never mind, and did a pile of plain trsp blue spacers to go with my funky misty set! finishing off that whole rod!.

Now the blue spacers should of just been blue right!, they just came outta the kiln, I haven't discovered a new color combo! I've mixed up my bloody silver glass with my transparent blue's.

every one of those plain spacers came out with the damn haze.

I could just cry, what a waste of silver mist! I only owned three rods of silver glass at all anyway, now I only have 2 and thats only if I can work out which they are! if I haven't made them into spacers as well.

mind you the set I did is cool......... small consolation but still.

The worst thing is there is no way someone will pay what those damn spacers are actually worth so, I loose my blasted cool glass and take a loss. it really sucks!

Moral of the story................
Either keep that desk tidy or label that glass!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-06-30, 9:04pm
Smile, it's contagious!

You mean tidy like this?

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2007-06-30, 9:10pm

OMG thats alot of glass! you got there Gelly!
My Space is usually pretty tidy but I've been slacking lately
doesn't look anything like this now!
Name:  glassstorage1.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  mini5.JPG
Views: 820
Size:  42.0 KB

Old 2007-06-30, 9:16pm
Smile, it's contagious!

I can't seem to keep mine cleaned up. As soon as I clean it, I pull a bunch of twisties and stringers and it's a mess all over again.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2007-06-30, 9:24pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

You could pull those beads back down to stringer. That is probably what I would do after cleaning the bead release out. If it were anything but something super expensive, I probably wouldn't bother, but that stuff is pricey!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-06-30, 9:32pm
Storm Queen

Gelly how can you create your lovely beads in that mess! I have to have a semi tidy work area or else I can't even make a spacer.

Old 2007-06-30, 9:33pm
still not Leslie

Location: Home the 2011 Worlds Series Champion St Louis Cardinals

Gawd Gelly, is that a pig pen or what???
Old 2007-06-30, 9:38pm
I'm a lilac!

You can probably sell them for at least enough to buy another 1/2 lb of the glass. Don't worry about it!

Old 2007-06-30, 9:40pm
Mama said

I love it, Gellybelle! That's just how I work, too.

~Michelle
Old 2007-06-30, 9:56pm
Smile, it's contagious!

lol!

I can't freakin help it!! I guess I love to create in the midst of chaos.
I had just finished a bead when I took this pic... it's just how I roll.

I know EXACTLY where everything is that I need.

Old 2007-06-30, 10:33pm
Corgi Cult Member

Gelly, your pic was so funny on my moniter. All I could see was the neat and tidy glass in the PVC.......and then I scrolled.......... Now I feel better.

Shame about the silver glass. At least you got a cool set. I've always worried about using the OR as clear during a brain fart moment.

Old 2007-06-30, 11:02pm

Gelly, looks familiar... Except my glass is behind me....

I'd put the whole story in the description, I think most of us have been there at least once, so you may get some extra bidding when you mention you need to sell the set to replace the glass you used.
Attached Images

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2007-07-01, 5:27am

Good idea about pulling them out into stringer, I might try that I have a few to play with! LOL
I will put them on eBay I think and I think your right I'll tell the story of the really expensive beads!
Ironically I normally can't get my silver glass to do very much at all, so maybe its fate?
I'll take a pic later to show you all the set!

Old 2007-07-01, 6:24pm

Can't wait to see the set - silver glass laughs at me, so I'm impressed you got color out of it!

~:
~:

~:

Old 2007-07-01, 7:57pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Nikki, that's not messy! All you have to do is pick up your cookie sheet and it's all clean.

Old 2007-07-01, 8:16pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

My table looks like Gelly's! LOL

Ellie - I hear you! I have some Dark Lavender that looks like an unlabeled odd-lot Vetrofond Blue I have. I always get them mixed up and end up with color-shifting pink beads when I don't want them.

Old 2007-07-01, 8:17pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Nikki - Your frit obsession is out of control! LOL

I have like 8 jars of frit...

Your cactus muse cracks me up.

Old 2007-07-02, 5:21pm

Gelly - True! I've done the cookie sheet trick when I want to swap out for a different COE.

Amber - The cactus is in a greenhouse I made during my stained glass phase. (I grew out of it) and it moves when I torch so I don't injure him.
Frit is my friend, oh yes it is... I bet you've got me trounced on enamels, though - I barely use those. Let me know if you need a frit sample pack?

~:
~:

~:

Old 2007-07-03, 3:50pm

One thing that might help is go to wal-mart and get you a little dymo printer. I have one and label one rod of each color so I will know what to reorder. You could even label each rod so that you what they are. If you look on my table I have two rod rests and if I am working in regular 104 with silver glass I always put my silver glass on the right, if I am working in 104 and 96 I put my 104 on the right. I work on a messy table too but I think that MESS is just creation in motion!

Old 2007-07-03, 8:05pm

[quote=kittyluv4ever;1251761]One thing that might help is go to wal-mart and get you a little dymo printer. I have one and label one rod of each color so I will know what to reorder. You could even label each rod so that you what they are. If you look on my table I have two rod rests and if I am working in regular 104 with silver glass I always put my silver glass on the right, if I am working in 104 and 96 I put my 104 on the right. I work on a messy table too but I think that MESS is just creation in motion!

Are those dymo printers expensive? My labels fall off with time. Even so I spent over 3 hours trying to match my glass up to label it all again.

It's the Virgo in me always looking for a way to get orginized.
I couldn't work without knowing what glass I have in my hands.
But I had to laugh the first time I looked in Passing the Flame and saw Corina's work area.
About like Gelly's LOL!
Angela

Old 2007-07-03, 8:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebabeuk View Post
I found a rod of what I thought was medium transparent blue in among the rubbish on my workstation, I was playing a little with ASK Desert carmellian just some stringer work over various colors some reduced some in an oxy flame some in neutral as you do!

I was dead impressed to find in my kiln the following morning that one bead in particular really stood out and caught my eye. it was med trsp blue with the ask stringer and reduced, the stringer had gone a gorgeous silver color and fumed the surrounding trsp blue to create the blue cloudy look you get with the silver glasses like OR and Kronos.

Well, I thought FAB, best make a set of those babies, after all a touch of ASK stringer and plain old med trsp blue is much cheaper than beads made of
Kronos etc!

Feeling industrious I made a big set of these bead using that rod of blue glass, I then had a strike of inspiration and wondered if it would do a similar thing with say trsp green, tried it and straight away i could see I wasn't getting the haze I'd been so impressed with! So I just though ah well never mind, and did a pile of plain trsp blue spacers to go with my funky misty set! finishing off that whole rod!.

Now the blue spacers should of just been blue right!, they just came outta the kiln, I haven't discovered a new color combo! I've mixed up my bloody silver glass with my transparent blue's.

every one of those plain spacers came out with the damn haze.

I could just cry, what a waste of silver mist! I only owned three rods of silver glass at all anyway, now I only have 2 and thats only if I can work out which they are! if I haven't made them into spacers as well.

mind you the set I did is cool......... small consolation but still.

The worst thing is there is no way someone will pay what those damn spacers are actually worth so, I loose my blasted cool glass and take a loss. it really sucks!

Moral of the story................
Either keep that desk tidy or label that glass!
Awww Ellie,
I felt bad when I read this 'cause I know how bad I feel when I have "lost" money. Even if it's only a little bit. (I don't know how much your glass cost but I know it's not a little bit).

Then I get into that "I should" mode. I should be more careful, I should label my glass, I shouldn't buy so much glass....

Then after a day or two I realize I am being way too hard on myself. Beating myself up over a mistake. If it was a friend I wouldn't tell them they should have labeled their glass or kept a neater work area. I would have given them a big hug. But no, I am my own worst enemy at times!
You worked real hard on making some nice beads. I would give yourself a hug for all that effort.
Hugs,
Angela

Old 2007-07-03, 8:24pm

About $25 I think, I got lucky and when it was rung up it was only $5 and I wasn't saying anything!
Old 2007-07-04, 7:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggys View Post
You worked real hard on making some nice beads. I would give yourself a hug for all that effort.
Hugs,
Angela
awwww your so sweet, I'm calmer now, I've resigned myself to it, as they say these things happen. Thanks everyone for being so lovely and supportive its great to know I'm not alone in my mess!

Old 2007-07-04, 4:22pm
Formerly known as LT

I want to see that set! Sounds really cool! Pics please.

Old 2007-07-04, 10:33pm

its sunny today here in the UK so I should be able to get some pic's to show you!

Old 2007-07-05, 7:52am
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggys View Post
Are those dymo printers expensive? My labels fall off with time. Even so I spent over 3 hours trying to match my glass up to label it all again.

It's the Virgo in me always looking for a way to get orginized.
I couldn't work without knowing what glass I have in my hands.
Another Virgo here - I use the small return address labels to label my glass. I haven't had one fall off yet. I just pop them into a regular laser printer to print them out. When I get down to the last 6 inches or so of glass, I just dunk the label into my water and it comes right off. I've tried to wait until it gets down to the last 2 inches, but found the label would catch on fire...! Made for some excitement and got ashes into my bead....
Old 2007-07-05, 8:16am

I'm A Virgo..... obviously that compulsive labeling trait didn't hit me... although all my paper back books and albums used to be shelved alphabetically...

However I do make a point of putting my silver glass off by itself when I use it so that it doesn't become part of the general debris.

Lynne

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2007-07-05, 2:30pm

I think fate tricked you into playing with the spendy glass! I know that stuff is soo freakin' precious it can be hard to actually *use*.
Old 2007-07-05, 3:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclogan View Post
Another Virgo here - I use the small return address labels to label my glass. I haven't had one fall off yet. I just pop them into a regular laser printer to print them out. When I get down to the last 6 inches or so of glass, I just dunk the label into my water and it comes right off. I've tried to wait until it gets down to the last 2 inches, but found the label would catch on fire...! Made for some excitement and got ashes into my bead....
That's positively brilliant, Barbara, it's exactly what I've been looking for to label the chaos on my benchtop (and I've got a box of laser labels that has been collecting dust, too! sounds like a made for each other match!) thanks for that excellent idea,
Mary

FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE
Old 2007-07-05, 5:01pm
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiebeads View Post
That's positively brilliant, Barbara, it's exactly what I've been looking for to label the chaos on my benchtop
There's actually several of us that use this or a similar system. One lady used slightly larger labels than I do - she has a document that even includes a picture of the glass color. I went with the smaller return address labels. I use MS Word to do a mail merge to print out the labels. I have "template" documents that list each color of Effetre, Uroboros, Reichenbach, and I think maybe even Zimmerman and Kugler. If you need them, PM me your email addy and I can send them to you.

Barbara