Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2012-10-26, 5:08pm
Dynamic Duo

Default Foolish Photograpy, or how we photograph our beads

We have been asked by a few people how we photograph our beads, so I thought that I might add it here.

We prefer photographing in the sun, as if you look at the pics, this usually only creates 1 'hotspot' or white point on the bead where it is reflected. As most of our beads have many layers and use a lot of transparent glass, we finds this is the best way to show that off.

(Occasionally we use a glass that changes from either blue/purple tones in sunlight and incandescent light, and pinks under GFG's. These beads we do photograph also under CGF, usually just 1 shot of the bead in our hand.)

I work with the sun either to my back or back and side, so that the face of the bead gets sun - Usually from 1:30 to 3 PM.

Use a Sony Cybershot, with the macro turned on, no flash, largest possible image size. On this camera we use it's aperture mode with ISO set to either 80 or 100, F2.7, and the EV settings usually set on the negative side because of the bright sunlight. Do NOT use Zoom.

ALSO a tripod required, and this Sony camera has a little remote for taking the shot, so I don't have to worry about jostling the camera.

I do NOTHING in photo software but cropping, resizing and adding our logo. I never touch the color balance, white balance etc. If I feel I that needs to be done, I need to re-photograph the bead.

To get good color balance in digital bead pics, I shoot against a grey background (sheets of grey felt bought at Michaels) but in the larger frame there are large areas of solid black and white, also sheets of felt. This helps the camera adjust the colors properly. With all white or black filling the frame, the camera tries to compensate too much. See the photo below to see how grey, white and black are all in the photo frame the camera sees.

The original size of our photos is 3,456 x 2,592 pixels. I crop the photo, and usually crop to a square, cropping in tight to the bead.

When all the photos are cropped, I have a folder of photos all different sizes. I have a small program that can resize pictures, so then I resize all the pics to 1500 X 1500 pixels. Then I run them through Photoshop elements to add the logo (can be done with 1 command to do all files in a folder) I keep these 1500 X 1500 files on the computer, and these are the ones uploaded to ebay and etsy.

I also make a copy of the files, and run them through my resize program again to make copies that are 625 X 625 pixels. These are loaded to our website for storage, and are the ones used WITHIN the body of ebay listing, and for uploading to LE.

We name each bead, and have 5 pictures of each bead. So we end up with files like dorkybead01.jpg, dorkybead02.jpg, dorkybead03.jpg, dorkybead04.jpg, and dorkybead05.jpg. We settled on 5, as that is the maximum number of pics one can use on Etsy.

Here is the set up for a bead. Like I said, I use sheets of 8 1/2 X 11 felt for backdrops. On the base is is large sheet of styrofoam, and the back upright is just a cardboard box. All held together with straight pins. For the standing pictures of the beads, we use a needle, which can go through the felt and into the styrofoam. (Have found these free standing shots also allow the light to penetrate the bead to show off depth and layers)

Here is an original picture of the bead before cropping.
(resized to allow inclusion here on LE - original is 3,456 x 2,592)

You can see the bead is more or less centered on the grey felt, and when cropped, this is all that shows. The position is determined by the camera (on tripod), placing the needle and bead where the focus is the best for the camera.

In the back you can see the black felt on each side and just barely the pure white felt that is on each side of the bottom piece of grey.

This whole set up is sitting on top of an overturned rubbermaid garbage can, which is just the right height for me to sit in a lawn chair and take the pics. Last week was a big session, 485 pics for 91 beads. Sometimes you will see where I space out and forget to wipe down the bead and there are fingerprints on it!

Generally take two shots of bead freestanding, one for each side. Then lay the bead flat on the felt, taking one of each side with holes shooing. Generally have to raise the height of camera, and angle it down. Then a final shot of bead in hand aiming off to the side of the setup. This shot of bead in hand is a good way to show the size of the bead, and show how it looks against skin tones.

On a good day, with rhythm going, can do all 5 shots of each bead in about 1 - 2 minutes. Generally have to wipe down bead each time it is touched to get off prints, or learn how to gingerly move it without leaving any!

Hope this helps.

Software notes:
1 ) We photograph using the Sony Cybershot, which saves the files as JPGs
2 ) We use MAC computers.
3 ) Load from camera into iPhoto, and do the cropping/straightening in iPhoto.
4 ) Move the cropped files into a folder outside of iPhoto.
5 ) We use a freeware program iResize ( v 2.3.9 ) to resize all photos to 1500 square, with quality set to High ( 768 )
6 ) We use a freeware program Name Mangler (v 2.0) to easily rename our photographs, giving each bead a name.
7 ) We use Adobe Photoshop Elements ( v 8 ) to add watermarks/logos, using the 'Process multiple files' options that does a whole folder with one command.
8 ) We then use iResize again, to save off all the files in a NEW folder at 625 X 625 size. These are then uploaded to our web site, or to a picture server of your choice. We use a shareware program called CyberDuck to do this, as it again can upload a whole folder of files with one command.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by flaming_fools; 2012-10-26 at 5:19pm.
Old 2012-10-26, 5:57pm
Wonder-wench

wow, that was incredibly generous of you guys to take the time to provide a detailed write up. THANKS!

Old 2012-10-26, 6:25pm
Flaming my life away

This is so awesome! You guys are the bestest!
Old 2012-10-26, 6:47pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Great info guys! I take my pics outside but never really knew how to set my camera. I went step by step from your info! I'm going to give the felt a try too, thanks!!!
YOu guys are awesome!!
Sue

Old 2012-10-27, 9:20am

Thanks much. Very nice of you!

Old 2012-11-28, 12:36pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thank you, thank you, thank you both!! I am printing it out now.
Old 2012-11-28, 1:39pm
Lampworkaholic!

Cool. Got a final shot of that bead?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-11-30, 7:03pm
Bad Cat Glass

Thanks so much for doing this write-up. Photos are not my favorite part of listing beads, but maybe this will help me improve.
Old 2012-11-30, 11:54pm
Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Cool. Got a final shot of that bead?
here it is cropped, watermarked, and resized to 625 square

Old 2012-12-12, 11:23am
Funky and Chunky Jewels!

This is WONDERFUL! I'm so tired of trying to get the photos right that I've about given up! Thank you!
Old 2012-12-18, 12:39am

Thanks! Very kind of you to share your process.

#D56
Courtney B Designs
Old 2012-12-18, 2:01am

Thank you so much!!
Old 2012-12-21, 3:14pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

bump 'cause i love this thread.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-01-31, 3:51am

bumping 'cause I've just bought a second hand cybershot, stalking the mailman