Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-07-26, 11:58pm

Default GOLD!

Somedays I'm a dingbat...and a clutz. (and working in glass isnt that the ringer)

ANYWAY the other day I burnt myself... not an OMG one but couldnt just ignore bad enough I needed to stop and get ice on it.
In my haste to turn off everything and pick up my stuff to go back to the house...I spilled my soda into my little plastic divider case. Which I keep expensive tiny items...you know opals, murrini, and Gold leaf.

The gold leaf it's just screwed.....it's not like it was "easy" to pick up with before but now it completely stuck to the paper. I dried it all out, but now I'm more likely to just POOF the paper and good bit of the gold just trying to get it off. It's like stuck stuck.
Any thoughts on recovery? Have a good bit of ruined golf leaf now.... was thinking maybe if I got a crucible, 2k in the kiln...burnt off all the paper kinda thing.

Any suggestions on getting good gold for not a ton of $ for fuming?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-07-27, 12:21am
Slogan Challenged...

when I did that with silver leaf, I rolled beads onto the paper to pick up the leaf. The paper just burned off. With gold leaf, if you want the leaf intact, I'm not sure that will work. I suppose you could try to just burn off the paper, and you would be left with gold flakes?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-07-28, 8:05pm
Flamewoman

Can you get the whole thing wet again and try to "float" the gold leaf off of the paper?

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-07-29, 7:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post

Any suggestions on getting good gold for not a ton of $ for fuming?
I bought casting grains from Rio Grande ... just teeny, tiny balls of gold.

Old 2014-08-20, 4:52pm
onebizebee

I bought dredge gold nuggets off of eBay for about ten bucks a nugget. Works great and best part affordable!
Old 2014-09-18, 7:24am
ManBearPig

I use gold wire. I get it from Mountain Glass Arts. It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way. I think a 1" piece lasts about a year for me. You just have to be careful not to set the fuming rod down roughly and knock the gold off the tip.

Old 2014-09-28, 7:55am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Sorry about your gold leaf. However, as far as your burn, I swore by ice for years - immediately put a cube on the burn and keep it there for at least 1/2 hour. Then I came across a little 'Silver Sulfadiazine Cream USP 1%'. Works even better than ice and you can keep it on your workbench, use it immediately after getting burned, and keep working!