No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-25, 4:59am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Thank you so much. this is a treasuretrove thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2012-03-25, 5:33am
I'm a lilac!

Aw, you're welcome!

Old 2012-03-25, 5:55am

You are a good 'un Kalera

Old 2012-03-25, 2:34pm
Triumphantly Knit!

You are an angel.

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2012-03-25, 5:38pm
I'm a lilac!

You guys are sweet.

Old 2012-03-25, 5:50pm

Oh gosh Kalera what a sweet and generous thing to do for us. I was so bummed when I realized with your new site all your lovely pics were gone. So excited all over again to see em. Thanks bunches for this!

My Ebay
Old 2012-03-25, 9:27pm
I'm a lilac!

You're so welcome! Hopefully over spring break I'll have a chance to play with some new and interesting colors, and maybe get some new questions, too.

Old 2012-03-25, 10:33pm

What an amazing gift to all of us. As a newbie, I had to take notes, and reread many of these pages, but have gleaned so much wonderful info from them. It's like being a mouse on your shoulder while you're making beads. Thank you soooo much!

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-04-11, 5:15pm
Queen Bee

Can someone guide me to which of these tumbling medias is best to use in the tumbler to etch the beads with the 220 silicon carbide? Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourTailsLampwork View Post
Here's the abrasive media selection from Rio. http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/...sive+Media&t=s

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-04-12, 2:34pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobeth View Post
What an amazing gift to all of us. As a newbie, I had to take notes, and reread many of these pages, but have gleaned so much wonderful info from them. It's like being a mouse on your shoulder while you're making beads. Thank you soooo much!
You're welcome... thank you!

Old 2012-04-12, 2:34pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
Can someone guide me to which of these tumbling medias is best to use in the tumbler to etch the beads with the 220 silicon carbide? Thanks!!
These look like the same ones I use: http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Sta...t/339402?pos=2

Old 2012-04-12, 2:36pm
Queen Bee

Thanks Kalera!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-04-12, 2:43pm
I'm a lilac!

You're welcome!

Old 2012-07-07, 10:46pm

Kalera - I just wanted to thank you for your wonderful postings here on Lampwork Etc. I've thoroughly enjoyed - and learned - so much from you in this posting - it's delightfully inspiring to me. You are, indeed, AWESOMESAUCE for your generous Q & A to all of us.

If you have time some time, I wonder if you could share whether you have used Effetre's intense black with any of your frit designs and if so, could you share a photo and your suggestions for technique since it has a strong bleed to it?
Old 2012-07-09, 10:39am

Kalera: I just can't believe you! 6 years ago when I picked up my Bobcat....I had drooled over your work.....thinking to myself...Gee, what beautiful beads this person makes....I could never, ever make stuff like this. How gifted and talented a person. I would check out your web site frequently....lurking almost daily! And now...this precious gift.....it almost makes me Irish cry......You must surely be as beautiful inside your heart as your outside art work. What a nice gift to contribute to the field......Surely you travel in rareified air......high above the others! Thank you......and my life take you where you want to go.

Lois......Venice, Florida.

Wolflo(Lois)

Last edited by wolflo; 2012-07-09 at 10:44am.
Old 2012-07-09, 12:36pm
The Andrea Half

Kalera uses the same ones I do when I tumbler-etch, or want a fine brush on copper media.

Just want to say THANK YOU again, however -- Kalera IS one of the most generous lampworkers I know.

Old 2012-07-10, 11:24am

Kalera,

I've spent the past couple of days reading though all the responses here. Thank you so much for this act of generosity - you are truly a gracious lady and a wonderful glass artist. I already held you in high esteem, and my respect for you has only increased.

You've inspired me to drag out the frits I hardly ever play with, the foil I use not frequently enough, and the boro I haven't played with in a while. I love the recipes and formulas you've given us, but here are the real messages I've taken away from your posts. Note: I'm paraphrasing from memory, so I hope I'm not misrepresenting, but this is what I heard and my take-aways:

#1 Kalera lesson:

Paraphrased message:
I mixed a bunch of frit that I had and I loved the result AND I had a bunch of unlabeled boro shorts so I just striped a bunch of them over clear to make cane and learned alot about how boro works in the flame

Takeaway: Use what you have, experiment, learn from what happens, and use it to develop your own look and style

# 2 Kalera lesson

Paraphrased message: That's just regular xxx base glass coverd in yyy foil/transparent/frit AND I used zzz inexpensive tool to do that

Takeaway: You don't need a whole lot of fancy tools, expensive glass or elaborate techniques to do beautiful work. A good sense of design and color and excellent workmanship will carry you. (Personal addendum: I've decided to pass on a bunch of expensive glass and tools for right now and am signing up for art classes - design, drawing, painting - at my local community college. I think in the long run my work will be better for it)

#3 Kalera Lesson

Paraphrased message: That (cane/frit/glass) is no longer available so now I use (some substitute/something I custom mix)

Take away: Don't be afraid to use what you have. When it is gone, you will find or make something to use in its place.

#4 Kalera Lesson
Paraphrased message: I don't have any special way of making them all the same size, I just make so many of them they mostly come out that way.

Take away: No substitute for the wonderful workmanship that comes from PPP. (Personal takeway - I need to spend some more time doing consistent basic things and a little less time (not none, just less) fiddling with elaborate techniques that do not really contribute as much to the development of my basic workmanship skills)

I know there are many more lessons you have given us in here (especially with regard to the business end) but these are the ones that jumped out as relevant to me, right now. Maybe others will share some of the lessons (beyond just recipes) they've taken away from your posts.

Thank you again for your generosity.

Glass Witch: n; a sandwich to which heat and pressure have been applied
Old 2012-07-10, 3:24pm

Hi Kalera! I think I may have a question that no-one has asked you yet....

Will you be at the gathering this year?

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-07-10, 4:10pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I second Duane's question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
Hi Kalera! I think I may have a question that no-one has asked you yet....

Will you be at the gathering this year?

Duane

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-07-10, 6:40pm

Hi, I have a question --- I was trying to find some 10-12 mm. clear tubes
of soft glass. I think Lausche makes soft glass tubing, but I couldn't find it.
I wanted it for an ebook tutorial "Pleated Vessel" by Sandy / slcuniques.
Have you got any ideas where to find some? Thank you, kirrakat123
Old 2012-07-21, 8:04am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygirl70 View Post
Kalera - I just wanted to thank you for your wonderful postings here on Lampwork Etc. I've thoroughly enjoyed - and learned - so much from you in this posting - it's delightfully inspiring to me. You are, indeed, AWESOMESAUCE for your generous Q & A to all of us.

If you have time some time, I wonder if you could share whether you have used Effetre's intense black with any of your frit designs and if so, could you share a photo and your suggestions for technique since it has a strong bleed to it?
Thank you so much! I have used it, but I can't say I do anything unique with it... I use it in hair-thin stringers in organic designs just as Jim Smircich teaches. http://www.mountainglass.com/Classic...-Smircich.html

Old 2012-07-21, 8:08am
I'm a lilac!

You guys are gonna make me cry! Thank you!!!

I wish wish wish I could be at the Gathering... but I'm incredibly lucky to have been gifted with a summer internship working with foster children, and so, as much as I will miss and think of you all and the fun you're having, I will be here in Portland with my little guys. I hope you'll close the hotel bar for me!

Old 2012-07-21, 8:09am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrakat123 View Post
Hi, I have a question --- I was trying to find some 10-12 mm. clear tubes
of soft glass. I think Lausche makes soft glass tubing, but I couldn't find it.
I wanted it for an ebook tutorial "Pleated Vessel" by Sandy / slcuniques.
Have you got any ideas where to find some? Thank you, kirrakat123
I do not know... anyone know who sells soft tubing?

Old 2012-07-21, 8:11am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaBlue View Post
Kalera,

I've spent the past couple of days reading though all the responses here. Thank you so much for this act of generosity - you are truly a gracious lady and a wonderful glass artist. I already held you in high esteem, and my respect for you has only increased.

You've inspired me to drag out the frits I hardly ever play with, the foil I use not frequently enough, and the boro I haven't played with in a while. I love the recipes and formulas you've given us, but here are the real messages I've taken away from your posts. Note: I'm paraphrasing from memory, so I hope I'm not misrepresenting, but this is what I heard and my take-aways:

#1 Kalera lesson:

Paraphrased message:
I mixed a bunch of frit that I had and I loved the result AND I had a bunch of unlabeled boro shorts so I just striped a bunch of them over clear to make cane and learned alot about how boro works in the flame

Takeaway: Use what you have, experiment, learn from what happens, and use it to develop your own look and style

# 2 Kalera lesson

Paraphrased message: That's just regular xxx base glass coverd in yyy foil/transparent/frit AND I used zzz inexpensive tool to do that

Takeaway: You don't need a whole lot of fancy tools, expensive glass or elaborate techniques to do beautiful work. A good sense of design and color and excellent workmanship will carry you. (Personal addendum: I've decided to pass on a bunch of expensive glass and tools for right now and am signing up for art classes - design, drawing, painting - at my local community college. I think in the long run my work will be better for it)

#3 Kalera Lesson

Paraphrased message: That (cane/frit/glass) is no longer available so now I use (some substitute/something I custom mix)

Take away: Don't be afraid to use what you have. When it is gone, you will find or make something to use in its place.

#4 Kalera Lesson
Paraphrased message: I don't have any special way of making them all the same size, I just make so many of them they mostly come out that way.

Take away: No substitute for the wonderful workmanship that comes from PPP. (Personal takeway - I need to spend some more time doing consistent basic things and a little less time (not none, just less) fiddling with elaborate techniques that do not really contribute as much to the development of my basic workmanship skills)

I know there are many more lessons you have given us in here (especially with regard to the business end) but these are the ones that jumped out as relevant to me, right now. Maybe others will share some of the lessons (beyond just recipes) they've taken away from your posts.

Thank you again for your generosity.
I love this! Thank you!

Old 2012-07-26, 10:44am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I read that you won't be able to make it to the Gathering. I'm in Portland visiting family and can't make it to the Gathering myself except on Saturday for the Bead Bazaar. If you're interested in having a Mini Gathering with me, I'm free tonight (Thursday) or all day Friday (tomorrow) and would love to meet you if you're free. I have a rental car and can either meet you at a restaurant or somewhere else or visit you in your home (not sure how comfortable you are about that). Send me a PM if you'd like to get together.

I do have my husband and my 3-year-old with me on this trip, so if you can't get a babysitter we can make it a small "family" Gathering. I've been wanting to take my daughter to a Chuck E. Cheese (or something like that) so she can have a chance to play in a "ball pit", which we don't have on Kauai.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Lyssa

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-07-27, 3:41pm
I'm a lilac!

Oh Lyssa, I would love to, but I am swamped in homework! I went on a new-family orientation (loved the girls, I hope they end up assigned to me!) this morning for the study I'm interning on, so I still have loads to catch up on. Thank you so much for the offer, though.

Old 2012-08-01, 10:53pm
Queen of the milo field

Default Yup, a definite thank you

Hi - old lurker here. And this thread is one of the reasons I've, em, come out of the closet. This one just made me have to register so I could say thanks. I don't boro, or bullseye or anything other than soft glass flamework, but your open sharing of info that some folk would get $ to teach in classes is, well, classy.

And I blame you for the tumbler I got at Freight Harbor. DH lusts after that soft look and feel so much that he's actually requested a specific color set for himself - and he just Doesn't Wear Jewelry. Even his wedding ring is a tattoo, he won't wear a metal one since he feels it's dangerous to wear while woodworking and such. Unfortunately he got confused at the wake and gave all his favorites away to relatives. So as soon as it isn't 103 outside I'm going to have to start on his collection again. Don't ya just Hate It when somebody likes your work

Again - thanks. And also for all the 'OMG!' moments when looking at the pics of your work. Sigh.

DJ
Old 2012-08-01, 11:19pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I do not know... anyone know who sells soft tubing?
Arrow Springs had a bunch of it they called Casino glass.
I think they literally recycled it from a Casino.
Yep, here it is when I looked it up...http://www.arrowsprings.com/
Scroll all the way down and you'll see a pic with this description...
Sale
$5.00
Per Pound
These 1½" diameter, 2mm wall thickness tubes of Clear 104 COE glass were originally a casino chandelier. Now they're ready to become whatever you transform them into - Ornaments, vessels and more!.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2012-08-12, 3:26pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croft Eeusk View Post
Hi - old lurker here. And this thread is one of the reasons I've, em, come out of the closet. This one just made me have to register so I could say thanks. I don't boro, or bullseye or anything other than soft glass flamework, but your open sharing of info that some folk would get $ to teach in classes is, well, classy.

And I blame you for the tumbler I got at Freight Harbor. DH lusts after that soft look and feel so much that he's actually requested a specific color set for himself - and he just Doesn't Wear Jewelry. Even his wedding ring is a tattoo, he won't wear a metal one since he feels it's dangerous to wear while woodworking and such. Unfortunately he got confused at the wake and gave all his favorites away to relatives. So as soon as it isn't 103 outside I'm going to have to start on his collection again. Don't ya just Hate It when somebody likes your work

Again - thanks. And also for all the 'OMG!' moments when looking at the pics of your work. Sigh.

DJ
Aw, thank you DJ! And you're very welcome!

Old 2012-08-12, 3:27pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
Arrow Springs had a bunch of it they called Casino glass.
I think they literally recycled it from a Casino.
Yep, here it is when I looked it up...http://www.arrowsprings.com/
Scroll all the way down and you'll see a pic with this description...
Sale
$5.00
Per Pound
These 1½" diameter, 2mm wall thickness tubes of Clear 104 COE glass were originally a casino chandelier. Now they're ready to become whatever you transform them into - Ornaments, vessels and more!.
Thanks for the source, Joyce!