LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-12-23, 10:52pm
And silence is golden

Default Merry Christmas from Frank (Troll ATW), & Aleta. Free armrest tutorial.

Frank from the "Troll Around The World" thread, http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ighlight=troll, assisted me in making a tutorial for an armrest made mostly of recycled materials. I am far from being noted as a professional writer, so I do apologize for any gramatical errors encountered. I've made this as simple as possible to read and follow. Should you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

WOODEN ARMREST INSTRUCTIONS

This tutorial is an adaptation of an armrest that I made years ago from instructions that were offered free online. With my recent addition of my Cricket torch, I've had to redesign my armrests to accommodate my needs. I am unable to get in touch with the original author of the instructions that I used years ago, so I won't post his name without his permission. I could not find his instructions, so these are written by me and not copied from him.

My instructions were created with as much "green" thought put into it as possible. Mostly all of the materials incorporated into making it, are recycled from various sources. You will need the following items:

MATERIALS:
paper or plastic for pattern making (recycled shipping materials)
wood scraps (recycled from local builder) I recommend a hard wood
24 1½" wood screws (recycled from local builder)
wood glue (had to buy)
rubber fishing lures (recycled from our numerous fishing trips)
glue sticks (recycled from local hardware store "going out of business discards")
foam (recycled 1- 3/8" insulin shipping foam from neighbor)
leather (recycled from local furniture upholstery business)
aluminum Cut Tacks #4 X 7/16" (recycled from local hardware store "going out of business discards" )

TOOLS:
pencil
ruler
scissors
jig saw w/wood blade
vice
router and ¼” flat top bit
wood rasp
sander or sanding block
drill + various bits
tack hammer

Let's get started!
In order to ergonomically design your armrests, it is important to determine a comfortable height. This can be a bit challenging, but rest assured, it can be amended after the final product is done. Once you have measured the height, you can draw up your pattern. Trace your pattern pieces onto your plywood and cut them out with a jigsaw. MAKE SURE that the two side pieces are even by standing them side-by-side on the ends, that will be considered the bottom of the armrest. Should one be a bit taller than the other, just use your wood rasp to plane it down a bit. Rasp and sand all rough edges.

These are the five cut out pieces needed:

Measurements:

Parts A & B (odd shaped pieces) are approximately 8.5" long x 2.5" high. Make sure to cut the tail parts on these pieces the same, or greater thickness as the wood used for part C. (See photo below)
Part C is 2.75" x 2.75
Part D is 3.75" x 2.75"
Part E (kidney bean shaped) is approximately 7.75" x 4.5"

The heigth can vary from person to person. It all depends on the personal comfort of the lampworker

I created an adjustable slot in the “C” piece using a ¼” flat head bit on my router. I made the slot a bit wider than a ¼“. This allowed for a slight swiveling action. Place parts A, B, and C together as indicated in the photo below. Drill two pilot holes along the bottom and top edges of each of the side pieces as shown.

Join the three pieces together by first applying some wood glue to the surfaces that will be in contact with each other. Then secure the joined pieces by using four of the wood screws.

You now have constructed the bottom portion of your armrest.

Apply wood glue to the sides of piece “D”. Place it between the side pieces and secure with four wood screws through the pre-drilled pilot holes.

Now position the final piece, "E" where you feel most comfortable with it being.

Drill four pilot holes through "E". Apply wood glue to the bottom of "E". Secure it with four of the wood screws. Notice Frank struggling to hold his end down now! Poor guy.

Here is where those “experienced” fishing lures will be laid to rest. They will work as a layer of gel padding. Frank was in all of his glory during this process. He worked very hard to choose the right size lure, to fit in like a puzzle. It is a bit of a challenge to get those pesky lures to adhere to the surface of the wood, but with a little perseverance, they stay put. Just be sure to lay down a generous amount of hot glue, and immediately place the lure into it‘s position. Cover the entire surface area of the top of piece "E" with the lures. Let them cool before preceding to the next step. Try not to press down on the lures after the glue has begun to cool down. If you do, they are likely to just pop off. Notice that green lure with black stripes on it! That was “Lucky”. I caught a 28” Sea Trout on him!

Place your original pattern piece for the top "E", onto your sheet of foam. Trace the pattern onto the foam. Add 1½” extra around the pattern line. Cut the piece out. Flip the piece over and bevel the cut edge all the way around. This will allow the foam edges to roll over the wood nicely when the final upholstering process is done. Place your cut out piece of foam on top of the fishing lure layer.

Beveled edge of foam:

Now it’s time for the upholstering. Place your leather on top of the foam. Leave an allowance of about 1½ to 2” to tack to the underside of the top "E". Use your Cut Tacks #4 X 7/16" to secure the leather around the edge of the top. You will most likely tack every 1”. Flip the armrest over and begin tacking the excess allowance to the underside of the top. You will encounter pleats that will give you grief. Just make a snip where the pleat is, overlap those flaps and tack them down neatly. If you are concerned about a tailored appearance, you can cover the tacks around the perimeter of the top with 1” strips from your left over leather, and glue them around the edges. Just be careful not to use any flammable materials.

Merry Christmas!

Here is a photo of the finished product! Frank couldn't be in this due to the fact that he's probably still tied up in customs somewhere. Notice the teal green leather!

Here is a photo of my workstation that was made mostly of recycled components. The table was a computer desk that a neighbor discarded when he did a make-over of his kitchen. The stainless steel surface is a leftover scrap from a redo on a kitchen of a pub that I used to manage. The lamp was a (broken) clip-on reading lamp that was a discard as well. I can wheel that baby all around the garage to entertain myself! Notice that everything is a color coordinated matching green ensemble!

Last edited by Shrimp; 2010-01-02 at 10:15pm.
Old 2009-12-23, 11:25pm

What a sweetheart - thanks Aleta!!! (and Frank - who I am looking forward to showing around southern California when it's my turn).
Old 2009-12-23, 11:29pm
And silence is golden

U R so welcome!
Old 2009-12-23, 11:40pm
Creatrixie

Thank you so much for the helpful tut, Aleta! Frank's participation was particularly entertaining!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-12-24, 1:24am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Rubber fishing lures! Snort! You are too funny! I love it. Good job on the tut.

Old 2009-12-24, 8:32am

What a nice Christmas Eve surprise - and fun too! Thanks for taking the time to post the fun tut (though I know Frank really did most of the work). I have a "system" that works with my hothead, but it won't work when I graduate to a bigger torch one of these days. I have never understood how anyone operates without some sort of armrest. The 2 day introductory class I took had no arm rests and I knew that wouldn't work for me...
Old 2009-12-26, 7:52am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I LOVE it.. and tell frank if he gets tired of the cold this winter to come on back to orlando and we will party like rock stars!!!!

I promise I wont let the poodles eat him.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2009-12-26, 8:58am
Boro Bum

Love the gift Thanks no to be greedy but you don't happen to have a pattern sheet for the pieces ? lol well just a little greedy i guess lmao

Thanks a bunch
AcidFly
Old 2009-12-26, 9:30am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFly View Post
Love the gift Thanks no to be greedy but you don't happen to have a pattern sheet for the pieces ? lol well just a little greedy i guess lmao

Thanks a bunch
AcidFly
That's not being greedy! I knew there was something that I had forgotten. I can take the measurements, but it would be up to you to sort of wing it with the shapes.

The measurements are now listed above

Last edited by Shrimp; 2009-12-26 at 12:50pm.
Old 2009-12-27, 8:05am
Boro Bum

Thanks
AcidFly
Old 2009-12-27, 11:38pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

As a keen fisherwoman my only tip would be to be careful of those soft plastic fishing lures. They can disintegrate in heat and destroy things (never ever put one on the dashboard of your car after a fishing trip) I store all mine in the plastic sachets they come in because they will sort of 'melt' in your tackle box otherwise. I don't think you will have a problem with them...they might just eventually 'melt' into each other with your florida heat!. i guess they are not going to be in direct sunlight though so they should not deteriorate.

Good tute very creative!
Old 2009-12-28, 12:03am
Cat Winx

Nice work Aleta!
Got to agree.. the addition of Frank took the tute from good to GRRRREAT!

Rachel the firekat

Old 2009-12-28, 8:12am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Aleta that is fantastic!!! Thanks!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2009-12-28, 10:35am
And silence is golden

Thank you all for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
As a keen fisherwoman my only tip would be to be careful of those soft plastic fishing lures. They can disintegrate in heat and destroy things (never ever put one on the dashboard of your car after a fishing trip) I store all mine in the plastic sachets they come in because they will sort of 'melt' in your tackle box otherwise. I don't think you will have a problem with them...they might just eventually 'melt' into each other with your florida heat!. i guess they are not going to be in direct sunlight though so they should not deteriorate.

Good tute very creative!
Hi Leanne ~ Thank you for the compliment! Most of those lures have been stored in a plastic ziplock baggie for at least 3 years in a non-air conditioned garage. They sit out on my dad's workbench just waiting for the next addition! I notice the "melt down" occurance when they come in contact with the plastic trays in the tacklebox. Since the lures will be under a layer of foam and leather, I doubt whether there will be much concern of shards of hot glass reaching them. In the event that the studio should go up in flames, I'll be sure to add them to my insurance claim!
Old 2010-01-01, 12:45am

hihihi, i saw the fish and nearly got a spasm for laughing out lout.. ( i alway's read this forum at 3. am, so i had to realy realy realy be carefull.)
thanks for making my dull year so nice ending!!!
LOL
And yeah.. i do love the idea of the armrest to...
Old 2010-01-01, 8:30pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Thank you all for your feedback!

Hi Leanne ~ Thank you for the compliment! Most of those lures have been stored in a plastic ziplock baggie for at least 3 years in a non-air conditioned garage. They sit out on my dad's workbench just waiting for the next addition! I notice the "melt down" occurance when they come in contact with the plastic trays in the tacklebox. Since the lures will be under a layer of foam and leather, I doubt whether there will be much concern of shards of hot glass reaching them. In the event that the studio should go up in flames, I'll be sure to add them to my insurance claim!
Yeah I guess they should be fine! I might even have to try this out - god knows I have more soft plastic lures than I can poke a stick at!
Old 2010-01-01, 10:39pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
Yeah I guess they should be fine! I might even have to try this out - god knows I have more soft plastic lures than I can poke a stick at!
Let's talk fishing! What kind of fish are you catching on your lures?
Old 2010-01-01, 10:41pm

Wow, this is wonderful, I need hubby to make me one of these. Thanks soooo much for putting it together for us. I might have a problem talking him out of fishing lures LOL
thanks,
Sandra

face="Comic Sans MS">http://www.adornedintreasure.etsy.com
Old 2010-01-01, 10:46pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by s38hyler View Post
Wow, this is wonderful, I need hubby to make me one of these. Thanks soooo much for putting it together for us. I might have a problem talking him out of fishing lures LOL
thanks,
Sandra
Thanks Sandra! You don't need hubby to make that for you, but it sure makes it alot easier. Wish I had one. I'm always singing "I am woman hear me roar"....

No new, unscathed lures were harmed in producing these armrests. Just ask hubby for the retired ones!
Old 2010-01-02, 10:46am

thanks, LOL it would probably wind up me doing it anyway. We have been in this house since the 6th of nov. and I still don't have my torch table put back together LOL I am getting to think that I might have to dig it out and put it together myself, the only place left to put it is on the carport, you should see the basement LOL I just haven't felt well enough to get down there in the cold to do it.
Sandra

Old 2010-01-02, 11:13am
Against the Grain

How resourceful you are Aleta! Thanks for sharing.

Old 2010-01-03, 11:11am

found out that hubby doesn't have many of the gel ones he uses the feather ones with hooks, I wonder if that gel compound would work that you can make molds out of.
this is one I found, what do you think? http://www.fineartstore.com/Catalog/...ost%2CUnitCost

Old 2010-01-03, 4:43pm
And silence is golden

Sandra ~ you could probably call the company to see if the product resembles something similar to a gel pad when it sets up.
Old 2010-01-03, 6:56pm

I will have to check, you know I will check with Michaels or Acmoores as soon as I can to maybe they have something. If nothing else, I can ask around and see if I could find some gel fishing lures from someone else. If I find out anything I will let you know. If I didn't need the gel fishing lure that would be all he would have LOL

Old 2010-01-03, 7:27pm

Fishing lures! Why didn't I think if that. Well, we don't fish so I don't have any laying around. I've been trying to think of something gelly to cover my arm pads with. This may be just the ticket! Thanks!!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-01-03, 11:25pm
And silence is golden

How about some "Butt Enhancer" thick silicone gel pads. $27.85 plus shipping!
Old 2010-01-04, 6:38am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Thanks Aleta! that is a super tutorial! I canot wait for Frank to arrive so he can teach me cool stuff too!

Old 2010-01-04, 7:27am

I love your little Tom Clark gnome!! He's cute. I gave my son several gnomes when he was younger. Brought back lots of memories. Thanks for the armrest tut. Going to get my son to build them for me. Thanks again and Happy New Year.
Old 2010-01-04, 9:51am
And silence is golden

I put the lures in there just to recycle them and see how they would work. They do add a bit of cushioning, but honestly you can probably get by without them. My last armrest worked just fine with a nice heavy grade of foam padding.
Old 2010-01-04, 9:55am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsmom View Post
I love your little Tom Clark gnome!! He's cute. I gave my son several gnomes when he was younger. Brought back lots of memories. Thanks for the armrest tut. Going to get my son to build them for me. Thanks again and Happy New Year.
Frank is the LE travelling gnome. It's surprising how that little guy could grow on you. I sort of miss the little chap!