No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-08, 5:16am
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default propay

What do you do when your at a show? Just write their card numbers down on a piece of paper?

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-04-08, 6:27am
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

i have the little card swipper. we write down their name , total , last 4 card digits and e-mail address. it stores 70 transactions . propay has been crucial in my festival/craft fair sales.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-08, 7:18am
working to pay for glass

how do you get propay
Old 2010-04-08, 7:56am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I have a knuckle-buster imprinter. I make sure that the imprint is readable after swiping. The card swiper is REALLY looking attractive!

Here's the Propay link. I have been very happy with it.

Old 2010-04-08, 8:31am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Does propay hook up to a smart phone? Or just the computer.

Old 2010-04-08, 8:38am
maybe tomorrow

I use their card reader. I LOVE IT! When processing after the show, you still have to enter the transaction amount, but the card info and customer name is already captured for you, so it saves a lot of time and hassle. No worry about transposed numbers, or forgetting to get a zip code, etc.

Since I'm paranoid that something COULD happen to the reader, I still do write down everything at the show, but I've never had a problem yet. It saves a lot of time when processing the transactions.

Old 2010-04-08, 8:40am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Here's a link: https://epay.propay.com/account/

If you get the basic, you are limited, but after that you can accept up to 3K a month, process via telephone, but what does that mean??

Old 2010-04-08, 8:45am
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torched Art View Post
Does propay hook up to a smart phone? Or just the computer.
I don't have a smart phone, so this may be a stupid question...How do they connect to the internet?

The card reader requires that you use Internet Explorer to launch the application to process cards. It won't even work with Mozilla.

Old 2010-04-08, 8:49am
maybe tomorrow

Also, if you are a member of the ISGB you can get the Premium level for half price. I got mine set up several years ago, so I'm not sure who the current ISGB contact is though.

Old 2010-04-08, 8:53am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Good to know about the ISGB part. Thanks Toni

Old 2010-04-08, 11:09am
BeadsonCypress

I bought a "Sales Receipt" book and write all the information on that. I give the customer the second copy and keep the CLEAR one for myself (I learned that the hard way!)... I enter mine when I get home from a show or the next day and never had one rejected!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-04-08, 2:03pm

Susan do you use propay also??

Old 2010-04-08, 7:56pm
Catnip Pusher

I use ProPay and do my sales slips with a knucklebuster at the shows, then process when I get home. So far I've only had one sale where I couldn't read the card numbers and had to call the customer (I always ask for their phone number "just in case").

The thing I don't like about the Reader is that it doesn't provide a sales slip that the customer can sign. Having their original signature on the slip with the imprint of their card is one way to help ensure you'll get your money if the customer disputes the charge.

Aimee
Old 2010-04-08, 8:17pm
BeadsonCypress

Yes, propay is my way to accept credit cards. Been using it for 3 years. like I said, never any problems and really simple to use with MANY options....

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-04-08, 8:17pm
NW Oregon

One thing about the ISGB and Propay is that to get the Propay discount you can't just be a member. You have to be one level up. I don't remember what level that is but I checked into the discount and couldn't get it because I only paid the $55 ISGB membership.

I just received an email today from Propay about the card reader being on sale for $89 and the yearly fee that you pay for using the card reader is reduced to $10 per year; forever. It was really tempting but I'm completely paranoid that I'd lose the tiny little card reader or that the reader would somehow lose all the info I'd stored in it before I got home to download the info.

I do like Propay though.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2010-04-08, 8:38pm
Cancer SUCKS!

I love Propay and am considering the card reader. Here is a copy/paste from the email I received with the sale on the card reader.

Card Reader Was…$99.95 NOW $89.95
Annual Fee Was…$49.95 NOW ONLY $10.00 (for future years as well)

Click here to purchase your MicroSecure Card Reader today!

Old 2010-04-08, 8:45pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiacat View Post
One thing about the ISGB and Propay is that to get the Propay discount you can't just be a member. You have to be one level up. I don't remember what level that is but I checked into the discount and couldn't get it because I only paid the $55 ISGB membership.

I just received an email today from Propay about the card reader being on sale for $89 and the yearly fee that you pay for using the card reader is reduced to $10 per year; forever. It was really tempting but I'm completely paranoid that I'd lose the tiny little card reader or that the reader would somehow lose all the info I'd stored in it before I got home to download the info.

I do like Propay though.
I set mine up several years ago, so I forgot you have to be a Business level member of the ISGB. I was already, so it didn't matter to me.

I use the reader to make it faster/easier to process the cards after the show. I'm paranoid about losing or damaging the reader also, so I still use the cc slips and have all the info on them for the customer to sign. I also get their phone number, just in case. Because I still fill out the cc slips, I don't actually save time at the show, but it really makes processing soooooo much easier!

Old 2010-04-09, 4:54am
Formerly Kellyhorton

with the other card thingy I had (so technical) you called their number and put all the info in via the phone, by entering the numbers on the keypad. Shit...I have a show next weekend. I need something! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torched Art View Post
Here's a link: https://epay.propay.com/account/

If you get the basic, you are limited, but after that you can accept up to 3K a month, process via telephone, but what does that mean??

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-04-09, 4:55am
Formerly Kellyhorton

yah, had gotten this email, and thats what made me go duh....I got the propay, and have no clue how to use it, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
I love Propay and am considering the card reader. Here is a copy/paste from the email I received with the sale on the card reader.

Card Reader Was…$99.95 NOW $89.95
Annual Fee Was…$49.95 NOW ONLY $10.00 (for future years as well)

Click here to purchase your MicroSecure Card Reader today!

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2010-04-09, 4:57am
Formerly Kellyhorton

did they offer you a knucklebuster or slips? thats just it, I also need a sign that says I accept mastercrd, visa etc. wonder if they sell these at office max and the credit card slips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
I use ProPay and do my sales slips with a knucklebuster at the shows, then process when I get home. So far I've only had one sale where I couldn't read the card numbers and had to call the customer (I always ask for their phone number "just in case").

The thing I don't like about the Reader is that it doesn't provide a sales slip that the customer can sign. Having their original signature on the slip with the imprint of their card is one way to help ensure you'll get your money if the customer disputes the charge.

Aimee

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2010-04-09, 7:25am
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhorton View Post
did they offer you a knucklebuster or slips? thats just it, I also need a sign that says I accept mastercrd, visa etc. wonder if they sell these at office max and the credit card slips?

I couldn't find slips or equipment at any local office supply store. Half the people at the stores are too young to even remember when charge slips were used Oh, and the imprinter comes with a metal plate that has your business name on it so that it shows up when you give the customer their copy. That's kind of nice because it's less likely they'll question the charge when it shows up on their bill.

I don't remember if ProPay sells the imprinter or slips. I don't think they do.
I bought mine on Ebay. I think it arrived pretty quickly but I don't know if you'd have it for a show next week.

There are vendors at big shows who hate their knucklebuster so much that they use a blunt end of a pen and the charge slip and clip board. They just do a rubbing so that the card number comes up on the slip. They skip the imprinter. I'm thinking about doing that at my next show in three weeks. It might be good if you can at least get the slips before your show.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2010-04-09, 8:10am
Senior Moment

I use my propay alot. when I am at the show I can use the call in feature they have and get the card approval imedialty with my cell phone. then I use the regular sales slips that due the duplicate thing put the card unter my ticket and rub the side of a pen over it then write down the ccv from the back and have the customer sign the sale slip. It won't copy over to the top(white) slip that I then give to the customer. our slips also have an address phone area on the top for the customer to fill out, that way you have the zip code to call it in with(required) and an address for your mailing list later. If you don't have cell service in that area then you can alway call it in later or use the computer. Cheaper then the knuckle buster, saves your knuckles, and you don't needs extra forms to carry around.

Old 2010-04-09, 8:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia-T View Post
I use my propay alot. when I am at the show I can use the call in feature they have and get the card approval imedialty with my cell phone. then I use the regular sales slips that due the duplicate thing put the card unter my ticket and rub the side of a pen over it then write down the ccv from the back and have the customer sign the sale slip. It won't copy over to the top(white) slip that I then give to the customer. our slips also have an address phone area on the top for the customer to fill out, that way you have the zip code to call it in with(required) and an address for your mailing list later. If you don't have cell service in that area then you can alway call it in later or use the computer. Cheaper then the knuckle buster, saves your knuckles, and you don't needs extra forms to carry around.

nice tips! thanks!
Old 2010-04-09, 8:49am
Formerly Kellyhorton

I never used my knuckle buster cuz it never worked, but I at least had the slips, people get nervous now days and if i dont look like its authentic, hmm, maybe i will just call it in....

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2010-04-09, 8:50am
Formerly Kellyhorton

where do you buy the slips? could kick myself, use to have a ton of them and threw them away i think....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia-T View Post

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2010-04-09, 9:21am
da General

Toni - Oakland Convention Center (where both of us do our shows) has the worst connection. Cell phone is spotty and iPhone G3 network is nonexistent (G2, the old iPhone, is spotty). Unless you pay for a land line (SoftFlex does), you can't really process the CC charges on the spot. I just wait to process the cards after the shows.

|
|
|
|