Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2010-04-17, 5:42pm

Arrow Jari Sheesh in Maine -- July 5-6, 2010

Jari Sheesh
at Playing with Fire!
Rockland, Maine

'Blown Beads & Buttons'
~ July 5-6, 2010
Monday/Tuesday ~~

Hollow Beads: Students will learn to create a hollow bead from parallel disks of soft glass, which will then be blown into large, lightweight spheres using a “puffy” mandrel. They will also learn correct engineering of a hollow bead and how to avoid typical hollow bead pitfalls, such as concave holes. The instructor will demonstrate the techniques required to ornament these beads with both free-form and geometric designs using a variety of soft glass. The instructor will address the problems specific to decorating a hollow bead as opposed to a solid core, with stress on the careful balance of heat and movement. She will also demonstrate the technique of stringer control necessary for precise ornamentation.

Off-Mandrel Buttons: Working off mandrel is very liberating and allows a new freedom to controlling glass. In this class, students will learn how to create a variety of buttons with glass shanks using very tiny punties and a tungsten probe. This same technique can be used for making pendants and earrings.The key to centering a pattern, laying on a twistie and creating geometrical designs will be taught in the portion of class.

Jari Sheese began her love affair with beads as a college student in Lima, Peru in 1983. Immersing herself in all aspects of Peruvian culture, she became most intrigued by the street artisans selling jewelry on the sidewalks outside the University. After buying a set of pliers, wire and beads from the local handicraft market, she began her life changing journey by actually becoming a street artisan and surviving from the meager profits each day. Jari never looked back and continued down the creative path when she opened her bead store, Boca Loca Beads, in 1989. The amazing world of beads has allowed Jari to travel far and wide in search of unique and beautiful treasure for her store focusing in on all the great bead destinations of the world. The next creative stage of Jari's life began 12 years ago when she offered a lampworking class at her shop. She was hooked immediately and quickly built a lampworking studio in her store. Since that time, Jari's main focus has been working with glass. She has introduced this amazing artform to more than 500 students. Over the last several years, Jari made a small side step into the niche of making glass buttons. These little works of art are sought after by button collectors all over the United States. Most recently, Jari Sheese received the 2007-2008 Creative Renewal Fellowship from the Arts Council of Indianapolis allowing her to travel to Venice and the Northern region of the Czech Republic in order to explore and exchange ideas with other lampworkers.

See more of Jari's work here.

$500- ...lunches included/possible materials fee.

Please call 207-594-7805 to reserve your seat, and then please download our Class/Workshop enrollment form, and mail with your payment by check or credit card, or Fax your form to us with your credit card info. Accommodations: We recommend the Old Granite Inn, conveniently located just a few doors down from the studio. They extend 20% off any room rate year-round to Playing with Fire! students.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Playing with Fire!; 2010-04-17 at 6:17pm.
Old 2010-04-17, 6:08pm

I will be in Texas then..... drat!!!!! (Then again, it's a good "drat" cuz I'll be meeting my Grandson for the first time!)

It sounds like a fascinating class.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-04-21, 8:56am
Knob Creek Glass

You will love Jari's classes. She was my first glass instructor and I still take lessons from her!
Old 2010-04-21, 10:01am

Looks like an awesome class!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-04-21, 4:52pm

I'm just waiting to be sure I have the days off from work so I can register! Ahhh, let the summer begin!
Old 2010-04-21, 7:20pm

Jari is AWESOME!

Old 2010-04-21, 10:42pm

Jari totally rocks!!!

Old 2010-06-04, 7:15am

Bumping this up!

Just take another look at the gorgeous color and amazing effects that Jari gets with her work!

You'll not want to miss this class! We have just a couple of seats left.

This is a great time to be on the coast of Maine! And for blues fans: you might want to stick around a few extra days: Jari's class comes just before the North Atlantic Blues Festival which is held right here in Rockland!

Old 2010-06-04, 3:21pm

Jari is an AMAZING artist! You will love her class!!

Forgive everyone of everything, instantly
Old 2010-07-03, 10:04am

We have two seats available in Jari's class---it starts this Monday! It's going to be a wonderful class! Please give us a call to sign up - 207-594-7805

This is a great time to be on the coast of Maine! And for blues fans: you might want to stick around a few extra days: Jari's class comes just before the North Atlantic Blues Festival which is held right here in Rockland!

The weather here in Maine is absolutely gorgeous! And it's supposed to continue all week right into the Blues Festival!

Old 2010-07-03, 12:14pm
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playing with Fire! View Post
We have two seats available in Jari's class---it starts this Monday! It's going to be a wonderful class! Please give us a call to sign up - 207-594-7805

The weather here in Maine is absolutely gorgeous! And it's supposed to continue all week right into the Blues Festival!

If I were not all the way across the country I would sign up for this class in a heartbeat! I've never seen her work before now. LOVE IT! Think of all the skills you would learn.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2010-07-03, 8:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiacat View Post
If I were not all the way across the country I would sign up for this class in a heartbeat! I've never seen her work before now. LOVE IT! Think of all the skills you would learn.
Hi Jennifer!

You're so right, Jari's work is fantastic and this is a skills-packed class! Wish you could make it to this class!

Old 2010-07-04, 7:24am
Boro Brat

I bet it's going to be awesome! The weather here is absolutely perfect right now, too!

Old 2010-07-10, 4:31am

Thanks to Jari for a fabulous class! And playingwithfire is an outstanding studio hosted by Ed & Virginia. : )