No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2020-09-21, 4:47pm

Default CIM Clockwork Orange

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've posted anything but now I have a problem. I used up the last of my clockwork orange and I believe it's been discontinued. What is a good substitute?
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2020-09-21, 10:44pm
Slogan Challenged...

Well, the new CIM goldfish is pretty good, and it's a great price. I find it a bit more orange than clockwork, but it's very nice. It's one of the new colors, Howaco or Nortel might still have some, not sure about mountain glass.
Otherwise,....depends on what you're using it for, perhaps Eff striking orange for a base....as in silver glass.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2020-09-21, 11:00pm
Queen of the milo field

Have you tried the FB destash groups to look for some?

dj
Old 2020-09-22, 2:06pm

Yes I've looked in FB Destash and will continue to keep an eye out for it. Thanks dj. and KJohn I'll take a look at the colors you suggested. Thank you guys.

Old 2020-09-22, 4:34pm
Slogan Challenged...

So many good colors are gone! I like that CIM did new ones, but not a lot of them as it turns out. And a lot of them were very similar. So far not impressed with any of the "new" effetre ones either, hope to see more. I'm almost out of reds and Christmas is coming up! Frantz and most of the other vendors have been sold out for months. That will teach me not to buy several pounds at a time

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2020-09-23, 12:15pm

One of my favorite oranges is a vetrofond, carrot red sparkle. Frantz art glass still has it.
Old 2020-09-23, 2:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Passovoy View Post
One of my favorite oranges is a vetrofond, carrot red sparkle. Frantz art glass still has it.
I like that one too.
Old 2020-09-28, 8:01pm
Resident Luny

I wonder why so many are gone?

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2020-09-29, 5:08am
Slogan Challenged...

I don't think Effetre has invested much in their color stock for a few years now, plus there are lots of new restrictions on manufacturing.
Vetrofond is gone, I will mourn for a long time.
CIM is beautiful! I don't know what we'd do without them. But Frantz didn't stock up on much, and they had so many odd blues & greens this time, looks like bunches of mismelts to be honest, although they are lovely it doesn't impress me that much. But they might have more restrictions too, certainly in China they have had a rough time there for a while, i don't know if that made a difference. Maybe I'm too impatient, but I'm running out of other colors they have not resupplied.
Maybe we don't spend enough money on glass anymore? I hope it gets better. Although it's much more than the oldies had, they had to mix their own colors half the time.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2020-09-29, 6:56am

Kristin, other than the streaky opals, I also think a lot of what CIM sent out was mismelts. I think they must have some formula issues too, since everything these days seems to be just a variant of an old stock color that they can't reproduce now. I went through a lot of my old LTD's recently to match them up and get rid of stuff that is just .001 tonality off the original! The prices also bother me - mismelt it and mark it up!

Beadz, what about good old Effetre striking orange? I love the yellow, red and orange strikers. Are you using it for the orange alone, or are you layering with Clio for the hot pinks?
Old 2020-09-29, 9:43am
Queen of the milo field

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Maybe we don't spend enough money on glass anymore?
I think the global economic down trend means folks don't have those extra $ to spend on buying glass. That same economic trend also means lots of people don't have extra $ to buy things like lampwork or jewelry, which adds to the not buying as much glass. Hopefully the upcoming holiday season will help the market.

I don't sell my work often, it's more for the pleasure of the making and for gifts, and hadn't bought any new glass for a quite a while before one of Franz's last sales. But the order did include several CiM colors I hadn't tried before now.

And, yeah, I miss Vetrofond too - there's going to be an unhappy camper here when my stocked up favorites are gone for good

dj
Old 2020-09-29, 3:55pm

A while ago I past and copy me a post from a LE thread. Dump as I am I forgot to save who has posted this.

But here is the past and copy:

"Hi there glassy bead peeps!!! I was at the Frantz BASH this last weekend and got to chat with Kathy Brash, CEO at CiM. She emailed me the list of the "keeper" colors for 2020-on. Anything NOT on list is either discontinued or won't be made again until current stock is gone and demand requires a remelt. There will still be "limited runs" and "uniques" but the standard color list is changing based on current demand and chemical/heavy metal/rare earth composition. Kathy is reformulating some of the colors to make them safer to mix, melt and use just like Effetre and Double Helix have done.

2020 CiM Glass Standards List:

511101 Maraschino

511128 Sangre

511204 Peachy Keen

511229 Clockwork

511241 Creamsicle

511277 Phoenix

511346 Ghee

511351 Stone Ground remelts have not been successful, may melt Yellow Brick Road or Painted Hills instead

511402 Celadon

511430 Elphaba

511448 Dirty Martini

511449 Kryptonite

511450 Chartreuse Ltd Run

511465 Oobleck Ltd Run

511475 Commando

511476 Olive

511482 Mojito

511487 Poison Apple

511497 Appletini

511505 French Blue

511508 Leaky Pen

511509 Poseidon

511519 Glacier

511529 Frost

511531 Lapis

511534 Aegean

511543 Sapphire

511563 Pulsar or Azure? Haven't decided which

511568 Fremen

511569 Smurfy

511586 Mermaid

511589 Zachary

511628 Wisteria Ltd Run

511632 Thai Orchid - Thai Orchid / Grape Ape / Evil Queen / Poi too much crossover, haven’t decided which to keep

511660 Crocus

511701 Ginger/511703 Butter Pecan either Ginger or BP, one at a time

511722 Canyon de Chelly

511820 Hades

511834-S04 Clear

511835 Peace

511872 Tuxedo

511904 Gelly's Sty

511926 Cranberry Pink"

Margit
Old 2020-09-29, 4:26pm
Slogan Challenged...

Yes I remember this, and almost all of these are out of stock, and my glass larder is getting empty as well. Frantz doesn't know when to expect more CIM in. Perhaps I should check over with Ed Hoy? I always forget them, I wasn't impressed with the prices.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2020-09-29, 4:46pm

I guess it´s all due to the fact of Cov19. Lock downs in China were very strict and lasted very long. That all might put back new melting and shipping 6-9 months.

Margit
Old 2020-09-29, 8:23pm
Slogan Challenged...

good point, Margit. Thanks. There are worse things...

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2020-09-30, 4:48am

I think Hoy’s prices are too high - I don’t need any color that badly.
Old 2020-09-30, 5:17am

Some was posted on Facebook if you are checking the destash groups.
Old 2020-10-01, 12:43pm
Resident Luny

If I didn't live near bullseye I would have been a 104 person, most likely. Bullseye is doing well, but they have all that sheet glass as well for fusers and stained glass, their diversity certainly helps, plus USA made I guess. When did Vetrofond close?

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2020-10-01, 2:26pm
Slogan Challenged...

they closed yonks ago.....maybe 5 years? They lost a furnace and didn't rebuild it. We remain in shock.

I have found Nortel glass to be a good source of colors that are out of stock elsewhere. They are in Canada but ship from their US address in New York.

https://www.nortelglass.com/glass-and-tools/

Facebook:

Etsy: