Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-01-03, 3:37pm
Type ZZZ personality

Default Hey Boro peeps!

I have some striped boro rods and I don't know how to use them!
I'll post a pic if I can get one to show the stripes.

Help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-01-03, 4:17pm
Dildo Kween!

Well dearie, what CAN'T you do with a striped rod?

What I like to do is make a bead with the striped cane and then zig zag encase it with clear oooh how pretty! Makes it look like you spent hours of creating a work of art!

****Huggies****
Heidi

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2006-01-03, 4:27pm
Dildo Kween!

Hey Pattikins,
there is a thread in this area that shows what you can do with a striped rod

Here is it:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10608

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2006-01-03, 4:38pm
Type ZZZ personality

I saw that one. It's not exactly like that cane. I'll try to post a pic. It might work the same way, but I'm thinking that you wouldn't be getting the benefit of the whole rod... I may just be overthinking things...

oops! how did that get in there? Here are a couple of the rods.
Suggestions?

Last edited by rusticstudio; 2006-01-03 at 5:02pm.
Old 2006-01-03, 5:03pm
Satake Woman!

Oh wow! I got some samples of rod that are tri-colored. Guess I'll have to try spot encasing like that. Woo hoo!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-01-03, 7:07pm
"Olde" but "Newbe"

I'd be SOOO HAPPY to take those "thangs" off your hands, if you can't figure out to do with em!! OHHHH SOOOO PRETTY!!!
Peggy
Old 2006-01-04, 6:35am
ManBearPig

Those rods are horrible. The only thing you should do is get rid of them. Let me send you my address and I'll make sure to dispose of them properly for you.

Actually, I have been wanting to try them, but haven't talked to anyone who has used them. I look forward to seeing what you make with them.

Old 2006-01-04, 9:45am
Type ZZZ personality

Okay, so to do the marble, you heat the rod and squish and twist it so it becomes thicker? then shape with the marble mold? I guess what confuses me is that the rod is so thin but the marble doesn't look like it was wrapped to get the thickness. Needless to say, I don't know how to do marbles!

I will try to twist it and make a bead or two. I'll post when I get a chance. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 2006-01-04, 10:49am
Safety ALWAYS

I've had the best results with slowly twisting them while applying them either to the inside of tubing (inside out work) -OR- on beads and then encasing with a super heavy coating of clear.

The only problem I've had with those multi-colored rods is that they are usually very thick in the cross-section, and working with beads gets kind of dicey at times, especially if you want to make a small(er) bead. I've had limited success at pulling them out further to thin them down.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-01-04, 11:20am
Type ZZZ personality

the biggest one is about 8mm so i'm hoping to not have too much problem with them.

Old 2006-01-04, 11:27am
Flameworker

Default Multi colored rods!

Hi all,
Wanted to put in my 2 cense worth! The options are practically limitless. They can be pulled and twisted into instant lattachino. Then you can wrap those for beads. Lay them inside tube, for hollow beads or what have you. You can wrap them on straight or zigzag and rake through them. We created them knowing how much time artist spent making these themselves. Those rods look like there all ours with the exception of maybe the bottom one?
So the marble that's posted here was made very simply. Heating the rod in small sections and twisting in opposite directions back and forth (Zig Zag) ///\\\///\\\/// Then the rod is gently (so as to not mess up the pattern) melted into a ball. Here are more pictures. The first two are made with MB131 Marlee. the last is made with MB133 Holloween. Feel free to contact me with any other questions.
Sabina
Attached Images

Last edited by GirlGlass; 2006-01-04 at 11:29am.
Old 2006-01-04, 11:34am
Type ZZZ personality

Thanks Sabina! Cool marbles and that flower is awesome! That's kinda what I thought. Do you punty up the rod for twisting? I'm definitely going to try that next time I'm on the torch.

BTW, they're Momka rods.

Old 2006-01-04, 11:43am
Flameworker

Yes, www.momkasglass.com
And Yes, I punty up to twist. And the flower you see was made by Kobuki.
Sabina
Old 2006-01-04, 11:44am
ManBearPig

When I make marbles like that I punty up to both sides, heat, and then push together. I guess you could just use the plain rod to do it, but I like keeping my hands pretty far away from anything hot...